Jumbo Pipes - Sub $200

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

Reaction score
Hi folks, need some more advice please. I'm looking for larger, jumbo pipes, (not so much the bowl but the actual pipe itself) in the sub $200 range. I have combed through cup-o-joes staring at the grids and found a few that looked like they fit the bill, but not many. Any suggestion of brands I should be looking at or even smaller carvers? I picked up a Mario Grandi recently off ebay and am very happy but would like to see if anyone can offer something else? If sub $200 doesn't cut it, let me know, I'm open to checking out special cases.

Cheers!

you need to head over to Danish Pipe Guys ad in the for sale section... You'll not find better deals, not by a long shot....

Had he posted that up at Tax Return time I'd have wiped him out.

Jacko I can make you a pipe as big as you please for that kind of cash.

I did a sort of Ardor copy recently:

weekpipe008.jpg

Big briar costs a bit, but it's definitely available. Shoot me a PM if you like. :D

The largest pipes I have are a Savinelli that is stamped Goliath and a Dr. Grabow 'Big Bowl'. Both are good smokers. The Sav, especially, is a handsome rusticated bowl that gets a lot of comments whenever I take it out. The Dr. Grabow is not especially big. It's a pretty simple dark bent that is a regular part of my rotation. I got it new online where it was touted as the largest Grabow. It was probably less than $50. I picked up the Sav at a local B&M but I would think you could find it online. It was retail priced at a little over $100 but I got a better price. Not exactly artisan pipes but good larger smokers.

SAS...... now that pipe you posted is a thing of beauty.......... damn fine job there Sir!!!!!!
3 cheers!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I've seen some Ardors that were so big that I thought they were theater props or maybe intended for salesman props. Radice has made some incredibly large Canadians, and I'll be damned if I can find splices in the extraordinarily long shanks. You can probably find one of those monster Ardors on eBay for a reasonable price.

That was a commission, basically a "can you make one of these" sort of things. Turned out I could! That pipe is 1"+ wide in the chamber by full 2" deep. Holds an awful pile of tobacco, and has a trapdoor where you can store extra clothes and a bottle of scotch.

"Big" means different things to different people too. A very delicate, thin pipe can still be 7" long and hold an ounce of tobacco. Likewise, I could make a huge pipe and use a whole piece of briar up and do it with a tiny chamber.... is it still "big"?

(Advertising Voice) - Ha ha, for BIG flavor, you know where to go!

Sasquatch":9ngc0dqd said:
Jacko I can make you a pipe as big as you please for that kind of cash.

I did a sort of Ardor copy recently:

weekpipe008.jpg

Big briar costs a bit, but it's definitely available. Shoot me a PM if you like. :D
That's just freakin' awesome!

jacko,
I have a group 6 size Tinsky Blast Rhodesian PM me if interested I can take some photos. Here is a picture of the style and finish.
Lance

Sasquatch makes some kickin pipes. Even his rejects are the shiznits! :cheers:

I have a couple of very large Bari pipes. Both are quarter to half bent, one is blasted and the other is half blasted and half beautiful striaght grain w/unbelievable birdseye on top. For some reason I dont seem to see many of the larger ones these days.

I know where you can get hold of some Estate Ardors for just under $200. Let me know if you are interested.

If you are looking for pipes that are big without such big chambers I would recommend the Erik Nording signature series, they are good prices and great engineering. When I got mine I could not believe how big it was for having a regular size chamber. But of course if you can get sas to make you one I would go for that.