Just For Him - Middle Earth Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new Wizard pipe the other day and trying some of the Middle Earth line from Just For Him seemed like an appropriate and fun adventure. I went to their site and looked a bit, noticed they have a middle Earth Sampler...for $10. You get a whopping quarter ounce (can you even SEE that amount in a baggie?) of each of their five blends, plus shipping. Less than exciting. But you could order by the ounce for $3.25...so REAL samples of all five would cost me $16.25. So you get four times the tobacco for six bucks more than the sampler. OK - that made more sense...so I popped for the set.

As most of you likely know, they are all aromatics, but not grossly so. The five are 'Shorcut to Mushrooms' (the most well known and having a good reputation), 'Ruins of Isengard', 'Old Toby', 'Treebeard', and 'Longbottom Leaf'. I've tried all of them. They are all mild blends, SCTM and ROI being lightly touched with Latakia which I normally avoid...but the L was very condimental and overall the blends were quite good. The others mostly are blends of VA and Burley leaf with other stuff in there...Perique, Cavendish, flavorings like Vanilla and I thought I noted a cocoa kind of scent in one. All in all I was surprised that I liked them so much. All of this first round were sampled via a Cob...a very good pipe for these I'm thinking.

So, given what they are, and given that I'm not an aromatic smoker very often, I still recommend these. It's Fall and getting on to the end of strollin' and smokin' weather. Home fires are burning and pots of thick soups and stew are bubbling on the hearth. I just get that Middle Earth kinda vibe going in the Fall - so these fill 'the need for weed'.

If your Middle Earth hunger is growling away, these are likely suspects for your churchwarden. Also, you might try McClelland's 'Gray Havens' and 'Deep Hollow' from their Craftsbury line. I'm not much of an expert on the Hollow one, but Gray Havens is another mildly aromatic VA/Burley blend that I like pretty well.

And just be carefull when you put your foot out your front door...you never know where the road's gonna take ya! :study:

I just popped a tin of Grey Havens from '08. Pretty darn good. Not a typical aromatic. Its a nice burley/VA blend with a dash of perique. I may have to add more perique to the rest of the tin... Pretty good room note. Not a "full" blend in terms of flavor or nic but enjoyable under the right circumstances. Not sure if I'll buy more.

Thanks for the review Blackhorse. I have debated popping for some of this. I read another review that also mentioned the sampler is a little short on "sample". SCTM is the the blend I have the most interest in, it is also the blend with the most hype. After reading your review, I feel more confident about ordering a few ounces of the weed.

Blackhorse said:

If your Middle Earth hunger is growling away, these are likely suspects for your churchwarden. Also, you might try McClelland's 'Gray Havens' and 'Deep Hollow' from their Craftsbury line. I'm not much of an expert on the Hollow one, but Gray Havens is another mildly aromatic VA/Burley blend that I like pretty well.

Deep Hollow is a decent blend--it is sweet, but not overly so--it is about as close to an ARO as i will usually approach

My two Favorites are Shortcut to mushrooms and longbottom leaf.

A new bag of Shortcut to Mushrooms was the Belle of the Ball at our last gathering of the Viking Pipe Club of St. Louis. I do not like mushrooms. I do like this tobacco. Unlike ANYTHING else I've ever tried. Not an everyday smoke, but a pleasant diversion down an occasional side-path.

I know everyone raves about StM, but I have to admit that reading the descriptions that is the one that turned me away immediately. Might be a dumb question, but can you actually taste mushroom in that blend?
I have complete intent to try them all and actually have the sampler waiting for me at home (I guess I should read the quantities better because I didn't realize it was only 1/2oz each).
On the bright side I have finished about half a pound of Treebeard now and love it is much now as I did the first bowl. Frog Morton is still atop my list, but Treebeard is a close second (and I would take both in a heartbeat above Northwoods, but shh because that is apparently sac-religious and means I have an unrefined pallet).
Treeneard is mild and smooth and can be smoked all day long IMO. Can't wait to try the rest when I get back to the states.

whitebriar said:
Blackhorse":cm31v1x2 said:

Deep Hollow is a decent blend--it is sweet, but not overly so--it is about as close to an ARO as i will usually approach
Deep Hollow was one of my favorite blends a while back, but haven't smoked it for over a decade now. Fortunatly, I've got a couple of tins from 2000 that aren't going to go bad. :lol:

But if you like a nicely (lightly?) cased quality Virginia flake, try Peretti's Dummerston.

Natch

kaiser83":vlzosw65 said:
I know everyone raves about StM, but I have to admit that reading the descriptions that is the one that turned me away immediately. Might be a dumb question, but can you actually taste mushroom in that blend?
I have complete intent to try them all and actually have the sampler waiting for me at home (I guess I should read the quantities better because I didn't realize it was only 1/2oz each).
On the bright side I have finished about half a pound of Treebeard now and love it is much now as I did the first bowl. Frog Morton is still atop my list, but Treebeard is a close second (and I would take both in a heartbeat above Northwoods, but shh because that is apparently sac-religious and means I have an unrefined pallet).
Treeneard is mild and smooth and can be smoked all day long IMO. Can't wait to try the rest when I get back to the states.
Treebeard is great. And, technically, Frog Morton is Tolkien related, so bust out the churchwarden, Kai. ;-)

Sloppy Joe Hemingway":36rzh50y said:
kaiser83":36rzh50y said:
Treebeard is great. And, technically, Frog Morton is Tolkien related, so bust out the churchwarden, Kai. ;-)
I mailed my wardens all home when the mobile mail truck came through last time. :( No worries though.