Just tried fvf

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well her sister was really really hot, I just had to have them both :pig: . Also there is the fact that I stated this is the first I have tried, not always the best idea to stay with the one you lost it too, sometimes but not always. :suspect:

i.keenum":4088s27e said:
Well her sister was really really hot, I just had to have them both :pig: . Also there is the fact that I stated this is the first I have tried, not always the best idea to stay with the one you lost it too, sometimes but not always. :suspect:
That's what they did "...back in the day" :twisted:

Switching tobacco is a lot easier than switching women,,,and you don't get in trouble

Brewdude":d9tshatb said:
Thread drift..
Just another normal day,,, :p

i.keenum,,,,, if you PM your address I'll throw some samples your way.

well, for me , women and tobacco obviously are not the same things.

and I myself really enjoy searching new bacc's.

and I truly enjoy,,having a selection of Virginia's to choose from every day.

Like today, I had some Boswells Va slice, in a cob while working, then at lunch, when I could sit and relax, by the creek, I had a flake of FVF in a Pete,, and tonight while watching Tv,, i'm thinkin I'll have some University Flake in My Sav. warden.

Tomorrow will be a whole different day, with other Va's that may suit my fancy

Life is Good my fellow BoB's ! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yak":b6b4g90h said:
At the risk of sounding (possibly, being) naive, if you've found something you like, why not just smoke it instead of running around all over creation looking for other stuff that's something like it ?
I loved my first bowl of Captain Black out of a cob. I also loved the various, higher-quality aromatics I smoked in my first briar. Ditto for my first bowl of 965 out of my first Peterson, my first Va flake out of an Italian hand-made, etc ad infinitum. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that with so much variety and opportunity to experiment, why limit yourself to what you already know? Maybe FVF is going to be i.keenum's favorite smoke ever, but there's know way to know for sure, unless he tries everything else ;)

Not to mention, sustaining one's self on FVF is bound to be a frustrating endeavor with it disappearing off store shelves faster than it can be produced.

i.keenum - I'll echo the recommendations for Blackwoods Flake, grab a tin, you won't be disappointed.

P.S. You should be getting the Scotch Flake I sent any day now.

Nah. We're back into the what "good" is thing again. When the same term's getting used for the meatloaf & scalloped potatoes at Meg's Diner and what the White House Chef turns out for a state dinner, the nature of the problem is obvious.

One thing that's difficult to adequately communicate is the extent to which peoples' character, in many cases, has changed over the years. My baseline is the 1950s/60s, before mass-persuasion techniques became as pervasive and effective as they are today.

Back then, you knew pipe smokers by the tobaccos they smoked. Doc Cole was Edgeworth, Mr. DeChanbeau was Half-&-Half, Mr. Shuey was Five Brothers and so on. People found something they liked, and that was that. Previously to encountering the British stuff (tobaccos & pipes), Granger in a basket pipe suited me fine.

The same guys married and stayed married. Got a job and worked there 'til they retired. Went to the same church all their lives. Generally kept getting the same make of car. It was women who got bored and wanted to change things -- re-arranging the furniture, different hair styles, new recipes and that. What has been made to look like boredom today was not boring, but a basic, choice-level of self-expression.

Back then, people had selves to express. With a limited range of options and those few distinct, people found what worked for them, and that was that.

A seventeen-year-old wants every pretty girl he sees. It's a mentality synonymous with adolescence. The correlation of that with guys who are out to smoke one tin of every tobacco available isn't 1:1, but it's not easy to write off either. And when the guys on that particular trip are egging each other on in it, my suspicion deepens. It can start sounding like the tobacco expression of "I only Fill In The Blank (eat, drink, smoke, drive, wear, listen to, copulate with) the good stuff."

Not everybody on a tobacco quest is necessarily an empty suit for that reason, but what does making a hobby out of being a Consumer add up to ?

I've gotta hand it to my friendly adversary Jimmy the Pirate. He smokes FVF. Period. In old Charatan skaters. Period. He's found his groove. Old School, maybe. But the wind blows the chaff away, leaving the grain -- for people to whom enjoying the grain is the goal of the exercise.

If we were measuring contentment here, he'd be near, or at, the top of the list. IMHO, that's what it's about.

:face:

Pretty conservative in the rest of my life, I have been on road trips with my dad. Been from new hampshire to california, buy have always lived in the with in 30 miles where i grew up. Just because you want to taste new things doesn't mean you'll forget your roots. I have been married for almost 3 years and I'm twenty two. If one day I want to eat, drink or smoke something new, the next day it doesn't mean I'm going have an affair. Actually it is quite the contrary, I like the things I like and I stick with them, but if you can't change your life up a little bit by smoking a new tobacco or trying a new recipe every week that is when you get bored with your life and change something major. IMHO

Similar to FVF ? By the same maker, SG, why not try Golden Glow or Medium Virginia Flake as it's known in bulk. Dried out the same way as you id with FVF.

The vitamin N is lower but the taste and flavour is much higher. Also, it's straight virgnia with no additives nd no bite. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I need to see if I can get my local B&M to get s&G tins. Right now he gets rattray, mac baren, C&D, and mclelland. So I'm gonna pull a list from what you guys have brought up for those guys and see what sounds good. Oh how is rattray Marlin flake my b&m has a big 8oz tin for 20 bucks so I haven't bit the bullet at that price.

You're full of beans, Yak, and I'll tell you why. Pirate found his groove with FVF, and that's awesome. However, his contentment is only known to you by what he can describe, not by what you know about his experience. Embarcadero is what you know, and I cannot possibly know what joy it brings you even if I try it, because of your own experience with it, years to trial-and-error/gain knowledge (whether you think you did or not)--you followed your choices.

If someone wants to crawl all over God's green earth finding not only the one, but the 900 tobaccos that make him happy, eventually he may get to your state, at your age, with your experience, and finally rest upon that one tobacco that does it. Granted, the person in question here is young--youth sew wild oats. They have drive. They want it all. Yak, you're old. You want to chill. You want to look back and reflect. You want to give solid advice based on what you know. Both are fine. Hell, some guys get married at 18 and stay together with their wives 70 years. I know 70 year olds that chase 18 year olds.

Since there's an agreement that contentment is at hand, let the poor kid discover it, for Pete's sake. No one cares about what blend defines them. Sixty years ago all there was with beer was Budweiser, Pabst and Michelob (or whatever). Now there's 10,000 different beers. Obviously, people weren't all off their rocker thinking this deviation was a good idea, going from utilitarian beer to microbrews to craft brews and home brewing. It's a hell of an industry. Pipe tobacco is doing the same thing. It's exciting to see that much stuff out there, and when you haven't been doing the hobby for decades, it's tough to take a gray, pragmatic approach to "stick with what you like."

Maybe he likes Virginias. Well, he's got a LOT of work to do! (...and I encourage his efforts.) Whether he finds the grain or gets frustrated with the chaff, (or changes his hair 800 times), he's gonna do what he's gonna do, and no amount of silly philosophy is gonna control that. *shrug*

Cryogenically freeze yourself now, Yak, and when i.keen gets to your age, he'll thaw ya out and you both can talk about sticking to one blend and it defining you. You'll probably have more to talk about.

8)

i.keenum":k4r3syor said:
Oh how is rattray Marlin flake my b&m has a big 8oz tin for 20 bucks so I haven't bit the bullet at that price.
I love Marlin Flake. Rattray's (even the "blended for" stuff) is still a great tobacco.

8)

In many ways I would have to agree with Kyle concerning all this as far as trying out various tobaccos, though I would not do the "pinball" thing as is done by some here. I too am starting to enjoy the world of Straight Virginia's though for me, a more organized and methodical manner is how I'm choosing to do it. I'm going to try all of the offerings of one blender, one tins worth at a time, take some notes,mostly mental, then move on to the next. Since a few blenders only make one or two straight Virginia ONLY blends/mixtures, I might smoke theirs alongside another as my ONLY smokes predominatly day by day. That's how I feel I will figure out just which ones "do it" for me. It will take me more time this way, but as I look at it, this is a LIFELONG endever so there is NO HURRY :p

i.keenum":573n1al3 said:
sorry 100grams not 8 oz
You had me all aflutter for a second there.
If it was $20 for a half pound, I'd tell ya
to take out a loan and buy it all. :lol:

(BTW, Rattray's for $12 at JR Cigar.)

"Pinballing," as you call it, is just gonna happen. I was overwhelmed when I first started, and had to start somewhere. So I let my tongue lead the way. :p I trust it more than anyone posting here. No offense, of course. 8) I do like reading about people's experiences and try and match them to my own desires, though. :lol:

Nah. I'm not dumping on anybody.
Pirate found his groove with FVF, and that's awesome. However, his contentment is only known to you by what he can describe, not by what you know about his experience. Embarcadero is what you know, and I cannot possibly know what joy it brings you even if I try it, because of your own experience with it . . .
Objection, Your Honor.

Everybody's bullshit is unique.

But the Happy Contentment groove in people is hardwired.

When somebody's in it, he's in it.

Anticipation --> experience --> fulfillment.

It's probably a dopamine thing (?)

I have better defined ideas of what I like the more I go along but what I'm in the mood for changes regularly. For me, there's no "there" or "ok, I've found it now- done looking". Just a variety of different things that hit the spot when the urge should strike. Knowing what's good at hitting that "spot" has really just come from trying a lot of different things.

So far as tobacco is concerned, I'm not really looking for something, but I do like the looking part. I like a whole variety of music as well. I can answer honestly I don't have a favorite type of music at all. I do have particular tunes or genres which I'll come back to regularly though.

Back to on topic: FVF is great stuff when you can get it. If you like it, you might try Best Brown Flake too. I actually enjoy that one more regularly. :tongue: