Kaywoodie Supergrain

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a post in the sales section on one of these pipes, and from the comments, that one would be a good pipe to buy. It sold. I found one of these in an antique store that had the block lettering for Kaywoodie and script writing for Supergrain. Unfortunately, the stem was stuck in the tenon and wouldn't budge at all, so I left it. My attempts at dating it were pretty unsuccessful. Are these good enough to buy even with the tenon problem and uncertain date range?

if I run across a nice Kaywoodie in an antique store like that and the price is right I will pick it up. I have picked up 2 with a stuck stem. This may not be the best fix but it worked for me. I cleaned the stem inside and out with Bacardi 151, bristle pipe cleaners, and a towel. Then I loaded up some pipe weed that I knew would get very hot when smoked hard and fast. Once it was red hot I tried to remove the stem. When the gunk was hot enough it broke free enough to let me unscrew it. Once to seem was out I cleaned the gunk off while it was warm.

I have no idea why people cut the stingers off. They don't bother me. But I keep them wiped off and clean.

I picked up the woodie in the for-sale section.

if I run across a nice Kaywoodie in an antique store like that and the price is right I will pick it up. I have picked up 2 with a stuck stem. This may not be the best fix but it worked for me. I cleaned the stem inside and out with Bacardi 151, bristle pipe cleaners, and a towel. Then I loaded up some pipe weed that I knew would get very hot when smoked hard and fast. Once it was red hot I tried to remove the stem. When the gunk was hot enough it broke free enough to let me unscrew it. Once to seem was out I cleaned the gunk off while it was warm.

I have no idea why people cut the stingers off. They don't bother me. But I keep them wiped off and clean.

I picked up the woodie in the for-sale section.
Thanks eggman based on that Ill pick it up if still there. I've been reading on these and from the little I've learned, figure a Supergrain is a good pipe of any vintage. I do get a charge thinking a pipe could be over 50 years old. Hey, BTW, I noticed you mention UT Martin. I know a good guy there, who is a professor. I'm guessing you are in or near TN as I am too and from NW of Nashville. Glad you got that one for sale, and hope it was a good old one.

I'm smoking my Kaywoodie Super Grain right now, the draw through the stem is good, and the draw through the stummel is good, but when the pipe is connected the draw sucks. The person I bought it from said it was from 1960. That's why I'm not messing with the stinger, though I think that is what's slowing the draw down.

I never met a stinger I ever liked; they're "designed" to condense moisture before it enters the stem, but all they ever did for me is create gurgles plus making the pipe difficult to clean. Just another marketing gimmick to my mind. If they're removeable they're gone; if not they're cut off as much as possible. YMMV.

Well I did get this one for $12.50, and it must have had a weak spot at the button, as it flaked a piece off during stem cleaning. I have the piece and will glue it back and sand. The pipe passes air and I'm smoking it now to try to heat that stinger up. Not bad right now. The script is not as clear as I remembered, but can make an S and r before grain and it has what looks like 07 on the opposite side. I'll clean the briar up more now, and grain ain't bad with some birdseye but hard to see.
20230613_170608.jpg
20230613_155349.jpg

After two bowls to heat it up, I poured alcohol into the bowl with a cleaner in the bit, and left it slanted down to soak the stinger and threads. This am, it was a no go, so put it in the frig for less than an hour, changed my hand position to overhand on the stem and underhand on the stummel, then it broke free. Looking at the threaded insert and stinger flat part of the stem, it seems the aluminum had bonded a bit. The stinger was not too badly clogged, but soaking in alcohol for good measure.
20230614_112348.jpg

he used to have a bigger selection, but I don't get the impression they sold well, so no restocks? That's not criticism, and I could be wrong. Only a single $60er remaining, but had a few more at one time. I eyeballed them for a while, but I never pulled the trigger.

https://briarblues.com/product-category/brand/kaywoodie/
Yep, I doubt I'd go for the higher priced ones first off. I looked on Greywoodie, and am emailing with them. The old one I got makes me think I'd want another and maybe new.

After two bowls to heat it up, I poured alcohol into the bowl with a cleaner in the bit, and left it slanted down to soak the stinger and threads. This am, it was a no go, so put it in the frig for less than an hour, changed my hand position to overhand on the stem and underhand on the stummel, then it broke free. Looking at the threaded insert and stinger flat part of the stem, it seems the aluminum had bonded a bit. The stinger was not too badly clogged, but soaking in alcohol for good measure.
View attachment 10364
Goodness it looks like it has been a good while since it was cleaned. Hopefully you can get it cleaned up and smoking again.

Goodness it looks like it has been a good while since it was cleaned. Hopefully you can get it cleaned up and smoking again.
It's much better this evening, and I just worked on the stinger hole running from bit to side of stinger stuffing alcohol soaked cleaners in each end with one wicking from a pool of alcohol. There's a good bit of gunk in it. It gave a passable smoke even yesterday, so it will get better. Thanks for your help.
BTW, I found that the 07 mark is for a large billiard which I guess is obvious. I can a good bit of my pinky in before it bottoms out.

Last edited:
I thought this might be worth showing. I put a short piece of bristle type cleaner in the hole on the stinger and couldn't get it very far in. Then I put a longer piece of cleaner in the stem all the way into the stinger to where it meets the other one. Both were dipped in alcohol. I left it with the short piece soaking in a cup with alcohol. It looks like capillary action has drawn some gunk out into what were the clean portions of the cleaner. This worked twice switching out the cleaners.
20230615_084415.jpg

When I give pipes a cotton balls/alcohol treatment, I shove a q-tip in the airway (the solid core paper ones, not the plastic tube q-tip ones). By the next morning, the entire handle of the q-tip is dark brown, which is why I don't use the hollow plastic ones. Also prepares it for a tube brush scrubbing since I know the alcohol has been breaking down the tars in the airway. Neat and a little gross.

When I give pipes a cotton balls/alcohol treatment, I shove a q-tip in the airway (the solid core paper ones, not the plastic tube q-tip ones). By the next morning, the entire handle of the q-tip is dark brown, which is why I don't use the hollow plastic ones. Also prepares it for a tube brush scrubbing since I know the alcohol has been breaking down the tars in the airway. Neat and a little gross.
Zeno, that was a great tip. I've used both ends of 5 paper q-tips dipped in alcohol, and I'm still getting gunk out. I wasn't clued in to how dirty this part of the pipe could get. Can't wait to see how this baby smokes once completely clean.

Zeno, that was a great tip. I've used both ends of 5 paper q-tips dipped in alcohol, and I'm still getting gunk out. I wasn't clued in to how dirty this part of the pipe could get. Can't wait to see how this baby smokes once completely clean.
I've learned that the airway is where most of the ghosting happens. And if a pipe goes awry or sour, it's probably in the airway. I personally only use q-tips like a plugging device. I feel there is no substitute for a tube scrub brush and soap. I've told this story in the past, but I had an estate pipe that I could not get to stop ghosting in the final 1/4 or so of each smoke. The first 3/4 was so-so, but that final 1/4 was terrible. It had gone through my old process TWICE of alcohol and bristled pipe cleaners and an alcohol/cotton balls soak. I was planning to sell it. It really frustrated me. But before I dumped it onto someone else, I was going to use it as my experimental pipe with running water, dish soap, and a scrub brush. It pissed me off so much that I didn't care if I ruined it. 5 minutes with soap and water, and it is now one of my best smoking pipes. I haven't had even a hint of that ghost since. I was so pleased that then I also used a green scrub pad for dishes on the inside of the bowl and gave it a second scrub brushing while I had it wet a second time.

Back to the q-tips. I shove it in there so good, as a plug, that I often have to use a metal poker to get the cotton out of the airway.