Kaywoodie Supergrain

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've learned that the airway is where most of the ghosting happens. And if a pipe goes awry or sour, it's probably in the airway. I personally only use q-tips like a plugging device. I feel there is no substitute for a tube scrub brush and soap. I've told this story in the past, but I had an estate pipe that I could not get to stop ghosting in the final 1/4 or so of each smoke. The first 3/4 was so-so, but that final 1/4 was terrible. It had gone through my old process TWICE of alcohol and bristled pipe cleaners and an alcohol/cotton balls soak. I was planning to sell it. It really frustrated me. But before I dumped it onto someone else, I was going to use it as my experimental pipe with running water, dish soap, and a scrub brush. It pissed me off so much that I didn't care if I ruined it. 5 minutes with soap and water, and it is now one of my best smoking pipes. I haven't had even a hint of that ghost since. I was so pleased that then I also used a green scrub pad for dishes on the inside of the bowl and gave it a second scrub brushing while I had it wet a second time.

Back to the q-tips. I shove it in there so good, as a plug, that I often have to use a metal poker to get the cotton out of the airway.
I'm glad you posted this extra info. Yesterday, due to weather, I was stuck inside. With limited options on staying busy, I did a rare batch cleaning on over ten pipes (cobs and briars). I paid more particular attention to the airway, and found quite a bit of gunk-the nastiest, wet, oily kind on some. Now, I'll take some to this extra measure, and have a few as yet uncleaned estates to do. One has a vanilla ghost. I've finally bled all the gunk out of the Kaywoodie airway with q-tips, and had a few really jammed in there like you. Now, I'm down to folded bristled cleaners and alcohol, and still getting stuff out. Soap and a bristle brush come next. Thanks Zeno!

Well, I got it all cleaned of the tar and gunk. This stinger also had bits of tobacco in it-what a pain. The airway was also time consuming, and Zeno's tip about the bristle brush was the key, though I used alcohol and didn't have to go to the dish soap and water. That may be for a future cleaning. I still need to fix the broken bit part. The castille soap wash and a wax with some old beard wax containing bees wax and microcrystalline has produced a decent polish using a drill in a vice with buffing wheel. I need to get some other wax, so maybe carnuba. I'm happy with the grain, and will be looking for othe KW deals.
20230625_175117.jpg
20230625_175054.jpg
20230625_175134.jpg
20230625_175106.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, and glad for your help on it. Forgot to post the stinger. A little oxidation on the threads left. I'll work on that later.
View attachment 10673
I know this is an old post but I had a question. I was given my grandfathers old pipe from my dad and he told me it didn’t really smoke and was filthy but I could have it. I took the thing and realized it was threaded and not the mortise and tenon style. And there was this thing inside that was near dark brown/black. After cleaning the thing up as best I could using my favorite bourbon, both as a solution and a means of hydration, it looks almost identical to that. I found out it was called a “stinger” but I’m curious what a stinger actually is, what’s its use is? Not sure if anyone can help out, mostly I just saw people say throw them away, but then how does the stem fit to the pipe? (Side Note: I’ve smoked it a few times after resurrecting it. There is the beginnings of a burnout in the bowl, but what’s really fascinating is the bit. Apparently, the teeth marks left by my grandfather (or father for that matter) happen to fit mine when I clench it, identically. Apparently, we clench the same way and I never knew he even smoked a pipe! He had quit long before I started!)

I know this is an old post but I had a question. I was given my grandfathers old pipe from my dad and he told me it didn’t really smoke and was filthy but I could have it. I took the thing and realized it was threaded and not the mortise and tenon style. And there was this thing inside that was near dark brown/black. After cleaning the thing up as best I could using my favorite bourbon, both as a solution and a means of hydration, it looks almost identical to that. I found out it was called a “stinger” but I’m curious what a stinger actually is, what’s its use is? Not sure if anyone can help out, mostly I just saw people say throw them away, but then how does the stem fit to the pipe? (Side Note: I’ve smoked it a few times after resurrecting it. There is the beginnings of a burnout in the bowl, but what’s really fascinating is the bit. Apparently, the teeth marks left by my grandfather (or father for that matter) happen to fit mine when I clench it, identically. Apparently, we clench the same way and I never knew he even smoked a pipe! He had quit long before I started!)
If you got it unscrewed and clean, that's great. You might want to clean the airway in the stummel with an alcohol dipped paper stem q-tip. Wait for the brown stain to move into the stem and repeat as needed. These are my favorite burley pipes besides a cob. The stinger is meant to condense moisture from the smoking. It does work, as you can unscrew mid smoke and wipe if needed. I'd recommend not modifying by cutting it, as that to me changes the pipe forever. Clean them from the bit side to keep the stinger ball and its holes from plugging. The 4 hole kind is older. Can you post pictures? That's cool about the teeth match and nice history.

If you got it unscrewed and clean, that's great. You might want to clean the airway in the stummel with an alcohol dipped paper stem q-tip. Wait for the brown stain to move into the stem and repeat as needed. These are my favorite burley pipes besides a cob. The stinger is meant to condense moisture from the smoking. It does work, as you can unscrew mid smoke and wipe if needed. I'd recommend not modifying by cutting it, as that to me changes the pipe forever. Clean them from the bit side to keep the stinger ball and its holes from plugging. The 4 hole kind is older. Can you post pictures? That's cool about the teeth match and nice history.
Absolutely, I apologize for the lighting, I don’t have the best place to take really nice photos other than outside. It’s a Willard, and that’s all I know about the specifics of the pipe, other than it was grandpa’s. Funny thing you mention burleys, this pipe I’ve used more as my non-aromatic pipe. I generally use aromatics, but I like my PS Luxury Bullseye Coin in this one.

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3073.jpeg
    IMG_3073.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3071.jpeg
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3072.jpeg
    IMG_3072.jpeg
  • IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
  • IMG_3069.jpeg
    IMG_3069.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Absolutely, I apologize for the lighting, I don’t have the best place to take really nice photos other than outside. It’s a Willard, and that’s all I know about the specifics of the pipe, other than it was grandpa’s. Funny thing you mention burleys, this pipe I’ve used more as my non-aromatic pipe. I generally use aromatics, but I like my PS Luxury Bullseye Coin in this one.
That's a really nice looking old pipe with good grain. Great cleaning job!

Great looking pipe, and great job restoring it! One of my first pipes was a pot shaped Willard and it's still one of my favorite smokers. Unlike Kaywoodies, the stingers on Willards are removable, it might take a little heat if it hasn't been removed in a while, but it pulls out from the threaded section of the stem. Mine never get put back in the stem because I find them too restrictive, but being removable also makes the stem easier to clean.

If you're worried about a potential burnout you might look into "pipe mud" if you haven't already. You'll find 1,000 different recipes and opinions on it, but I'll link to this one because the website also has a wealth of in-depth information on pipe restoration.