Kick in the head tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the rev

Reaction score
Would like to try a very strong, intense tobacco with a high nicotine content. Not strong and intense for its own sake, but just a quality tobacco that is on the bold side of things. Would prefer it not be a Latakia mixture. Any suggestions?

rev

I don't know if these meet your idea of bold but they are strong. (And in my cellar..hint, hint)

GH Dark Flake
Peterson's Irish Flake
SG Brown Twist
GH Black Irish X
GH Brown Irish X

High on the nicotine not as intense on taste

Night Train
Old Joe Krantz

If you would like to try some or all PM me your address.

Just skip everything else and proceed directly to GH Dark Flake. I take 3+ grams of snuff a day in addition to smoking a pipe and it still kicks my ass.

So far SG Bracken Flake has kicked my ass strongest when it comes to nicotine. Nothing else has had such a strong effect on me.

Some find the taste of GH Black xxx very strong..... I found it rather soft and earthy, but yeah, on bolder side.

Or you could just go for GH Brown Bogie because it's yuuummmeeeh :p

But yeah, for a nicotine knock-out, I recommend Bracken Flake. And will be real interested in seeing if anyone else mentions it here!

1792 flake for the Nic-hit, G.L.Pease Jack Knife Plug for a goodly Lady-N hug and seriously fine smoke in the bargain. ;)

I like Bracken Flake and JKP, but while I can tell they have some nicotine they aren't in the same league as Dark Flake. Bracken would be closer than JKP though.

sisyphus":cincosau said:
I like Bracken Flake and JKP, but while I can tell they have some nicotine they aren't in the same league as Dark Flake. Bracken would be closer than JKP though.
Scary! So far Bracken is the only tobacco to really make me go "ZOMG nicotine, must thread carefully!", but if GH Dark Flake is even in different league, I am indeed frightened. And curious. :twisted:

My guess would be 1792 is Dark Flake's peer on the Samuel Gawith side. Haven't smoked it yet so I don't know from experience. Bracken is strong in its own right and is great in a small bowl after a meal or late at night. I have a Comoy's Prince dedicated to it.

I see Slide recommended Peterson Irish Flake. I picked up a tin of that one (a VA/PER if I'm not mistaken), and could not smoke it due to the strength. A simple retro-exhale out the nose almost killed me on the spot.

I would give this one a vote for strength, if you are looking for something that is overpowering. I can honsetly say this was the only tobacco I was not able to finish because of the strength.

Dutch":n2xsou4y said:
Dunhill Royal Yacht..... :bom:
This for sure. Has a MAJOR nic hit and lot's of flavor from the Va's as well as being well balanced overall. It is a FULL 'bac WITHOUT any Lat or Orientals. :twisted:

You guys are listing a lot that is on my favorites list.

For me, vitamin N in heroic levels can be found in G&H Brown Rope which is many times stronger than the Samuel Gawith versions. Add to this, that Tambolaca or however it's spelled. 5 Brothers has it. C&D #005 Kelly's Coin. Various shags come close. The Gawith houses have some as well as Charles Fairmorn. Anything else is right up my alley. :sunny:

I think brown rope is the strongest of all. I wouldn't call JKP an HO but would say its strong.

The only HO not listed in the thread of which I know is GH Kendal KY. Kendal Dark has a rep and I'll be testing it soon.

Never had any of the G&H ropes, but Sammy G's Brown rope kicks my arse from here into next week. I like the flavor, and it's pretty strong as well, but the nic in totally OTT!

:shock:

The Black XX isn't far behind. And the flavor is quite different. Not sure about that one yet.

Tambolaka is strong and also way harsh. Didn't care for this at all.

Like others have mentioned, Peterson's Irish Flake packs a pretty good punch but isn't in the same league as the aforementioned..Plus I don't really care for this from a flavor standpoint.

There's several others I can't remember just now but for me at least, Haddo's Delight has the most going for it while still reminding one that it can kick your arse if you don't smoke it slowly. Really love the complexity in this, including and especially if you are a Perique lover.

When fresh however, Haddo's is a bit harsh. I find ageing it at least 3 yrs tempers some of this. Had the pleasure of a 10 yr old tin and it was sublime, yet still had enough zip to remind one that it was one to reckoned with.

That's my input fwiw.....

Cheers,

RR

About Americans tobaccos, one of the strongest blend I smoked in 20 years of messing around with pipes and tobaccos is

Daughters & Ryan - Picayune

Contents: Dark Burley, Bright Virginias, Orientals (Samsun), Perique

Description: A full bodied blend of exceptional dark air-cured and the finest flue-cured Gold Leaf Tobaccos combined with rare and flavorful Perique and Samsun Oriental tobacco. This dark and robust blend has a complex variety of outstanding tobaccos that are balanced for zest and savory pleasure. Disciplined, yet wild and intense, developed for the extreme smoking enthusiast. No flavorings added.

Overseas, I vote for Samuel Gawith Brown Pigtail, second Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Birdseye.

There is a good deal more information online about the strength of this tobacco than the success of it as a blend. The comments say that it is 2 or 3 nicotine notches above the GH HOs. I'll believe that when the smoke says so.

alfredo - re "I wouldn't call JKP an HO but would say its strong.

The only HO " - I looked in the acronym list and couldn't decipher what an "HO" is. Please enlighten..

hp
les