Knives

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
We have learned about pistols, shotguns, carbines and sub guns, lets turn out attention to knives.
While I don't own one, I was considering buying a pocket knife.
What are good brands?
Do you carry one?
How do you use it?...opening packages, eating apples, etc...
How often do you use it?
Is it just another thing to carry around with you, or do you feel something is missing when you leave home without it.
thanks,
Bub

Cool topic!

My two long time favorite brands are Gerber and Case, there are however many folks out there who's single effort talents will never be known to the wider world.

I use knives for just about everything. Knives have to be one of mankind's oldest and versatile tools, from the early stone age onward (flint or obsidian, and flint napping is a craft I'd LOVE to learn the basics of) The Mayan and Aztec peoples had an empire at one time economically based in part on their ability to produce nearly surgical quality obsidian blades, which even at 800 years old are still as sharp as a straight razor! I seems odd to me that we've gone full circle and modern knives of many purposes are now made of ceramics (think glass, though not of volcanic origins). Knives and cutlery are a world unto themselves.

One of my favorite images is of my Grandfather eating his daily apple slowly pealing off each piece with his pocket knife, one slice at a time and slowly savoring each bite. He'd slice the apple, one slice at a time and use the knife to 'carry' each piece to his mouth. He was in his later years a very gentle methodical soul, God grant him rest!

I'm curious to see who weighs in on this topic and with what :cheers:

For usability, Gerber is hard to beat. Buck makes one of the finest locking blades. I have a variety of folders, Case, Shapleigh HDW, Buck. A Gerber Custom shop 4" drop point hunter. I have a local custom also in a drop point blade. My favorite style. I have a cluster of Forschner knives in the kitchen. None of mine are what could be considered as real collectibles. They will have all seen use.

I always carry a Buck knife with me, usually with a 2 3/4" or 3" folding blade clipped in my pocket.

My father had an impressive collection of Case Knives in two large display cases that still hang on the wall in my mom's home. Almost all of them he acquired well before I was born. He also had several WWII German knives and bayonets, a sword dated to the civil war, and a couple of pre-WWI pocket knives with just frames for handles (no wood, etc.). I always wonder what they are worth, though I doubt I would ever sell them.

Dad told my two brothers and me that there's two things you should always have in your pocket. A few bills in cash (he always recommended $20.00 back then) and a good, reliable pocket knife.

Well, most of my pocket knives no longer get carried much. Been replaced with a Victorinox Multitool. I'm a big fan of Victorinox, all their knives that I've had have been great and lasted much longer then most of my others. And yes, when I don't have it I definitely miss it. Don't realize how much it gets used until it's not there.

My other knife that sees a lot of use is one my father made using Swedish steel, I think. Nice simple design, but the steel is great and it's just right for an all around outdoor knife. Works well around a camp or out skinning and cleaning fish and game.

Gerber Lst lightweight, carried for years,,,CRKT kiss,clipped on my holster,,,but gerber's putting out a cheap folder that holds utility blades, I find myself using more and more in the shop and garage,,,dull or break the blade, just throw it away and slip in a new one,,twenty cents and your razor sharp,,,,think it was nine bucks at walmart,,, Tom Cute, a local knifemaker built my hunting knife, a 3 1/2 inch drop point, he passed away a couple months after he finished it for me so it's kinda special,,,got a set of Bucks for butchering deer, they hold an edge,,,,

My everyday pocket knife is a Kershaw Leek, I have two of them but I think their plain all metal model is my favorite for all around ruggedness. The assisted opening system is really slick as well. Just a great knife for $40 online. I took off the safety catch and changed the pocket clip for tip up carry.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TNCKVpIEtuE" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For higher quality knives I really love Benchmade out of Oregon.

http://www.benchmade.com/

But I really have a passion for custom made knives. The amount of work and craftsmanship that goes into each one is nothing short of amazing. Much like those custom pipe makers out there. The problem is price though I plan to get a few again sometime in the future. Like a Chris Reeve for everyday and then maybe something really fancy for dress.

I'm a Case brand carrier and have been since about 6 years old. My favorite style is the old discontined Moose. It has come back in different variations but the pre-1980 and earlier are my favorites. I currently have 4 of them. I don't have much time right now and will come back to this thread later.

I carry the leatherman skeletool cx on me at all times. At work I have the accesories to make it into any sort of screwdriver with different attachments.

This wonderful item was given to me by my father-in-law for my birthday last year and and proven it's weight in gold since then. I have used it for everything; eating apples, changing an oxygen tank, car repairs, opening boxes, opening beer bottles, siren control (the knob broke going to a call one day and the guy driving started to panic. I reached for my trusty multitool and was able to get us safely to the call), cut clothing (well you really shouldn't but I need something in a pinch), cut straps off longboards for disposal, another apple, and I also scrapped out my corn cob once.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830850-Skeletool-CX-Multitool/dp/B000XU43IC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1245613443&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-934870-Assortment-Nylon-Sheath/dp/B0002H49D0/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b

I am a big fan of Kershaw blades. They are made in the USA, Oregon, if I am not mistaken. Very good quality, innovative designs, great price point. I've got a Kershaw Scallion that is my go to pocket knife. It is slim, sharp, and can clip to just about anything. I can open and close it with one hand ... Check 'em out!

I carried a Brown Mule for a decade or so... Can't remember if it is/was a Case or a Buck... But I'm thinkin Case.

I carry three knifes in my truckbag...I'll have whichever one I used last in my pocket... A little no name sharp as a razor skeletal lockback that the owner of Southern Tankwash down in Jacksonville gifted me a couple year ago...

A 6 impliment, 6743 uses Wenger Diemont..(The only other legitimate Swiss Army Knife company). If I ever need to cut my seat belt off, break the window, repel to the ground, take the hinges off a lock box, and uncork a bottle of wine, I hope its the one I have on me....

The other is a folding utility lockback... Made by Cobolt (Lowes brand).. Like someone above mentioned, its handy, and if I lose it I haven't lost an heirloom or a $200 knife... While I'm pretty decent with a whetstone its far faster to just slap a blade in....lot less work too.

I've always been loyal to Buck Knives. I tried Kershaw and Gerber, but always find myself coming back to Buck. My first and favorite was the three bladed Stockman. I carried one of these for years until I lost it somewhere along the way. I was a heavy equipment mechanic at the time, so it probably fell out of my pocket crawling around under a machine somewhere. Since then, I've always had one with a belt sheath. The one I have now is the 112 folding lock blade. It holds an edge well, and is big enough for most jobs, yet not too big that it's clumsy.

IMO the most useful non-threating pocket knife is the 3 inch (closed) 3 blade stockman pattern. Several companies made them but IMO the Schrade & Camillus brand were the best ever made. To bad these companies when bankrupt. :cry:

That said, both Camillus and Schrade made millions of pocket knives so the stockman is easy to find on e-bay or some older out of the way stores. 8)

I carry a SwissArmy Multitool on my belt at work,keeps me from lugging
those old leather tool pouches.Takes care of 98% of my needs.I feel naked without
that tool after all these years of depending on it.
I carry an assisted opening S.O.G. tactical knife clipped in my pocket to deal
with vagrants and stray dogs.
I own a Hen&Rooster 3 blade stockman with stag grips that I use for my
pipe smoking,after I smoke a meer I scrape the carbon out.Also good
to ream the briars carefully.I'd like to get one of those French pipe knives
someday when I have an extra $175 that I don't know what to do with. :shock:

Winslow :sunny:

I'm a Cold Steel man mayself. I like the voyager style knives with the tanto blade, mainly carried for self defense. I like Kershaw also; have a few of them with the spring assisted opening, but I still carry my Cold Steels more.

I also just purchased a Xikar knife with mother of pearl handles.

in my younger days, I carried a rusty straight razor.

For everyday use I always carry my Victorinox Swiss Army mini-champ. The one thing I love about it is the orange peeler blade along with a multitude of blades and tools packed into a small package. The cuticle tool is good for cleaning out smaller pipes too.

For hunting and other outdoor activities I carry either a Case mini-trapper or Kershaw 3000. The Kershaw has a co-polymer soft grip that's slip resistant. The grip is also molded to cover the lockback mechanism so it won't catch on stuff.

Jim

I carry a little Kershaw lock blade folder. In my briefcase is a 3 blade Uncle Henry (Shrade). I have 4 custom knives - many of you will know Rob Brown, the rest from local cutlers. For hunting I use a lock blade Kershaw. Around the camp, a Victorinox Hunter. Love knives.

Carried a spyderco delica series (2-4) starting in when I was 13, lost two or three now but keep gettin a new one when it happens. Started packin a kershaw 1660CKT in the other pocket and now love um both. Dont really need to carry two knives but I do anyway. Some times toss a S&W branded boot knife in on late night calls to questionable parts of town but that and the two folders along with a .380 under the seat I feel quite foolish. :roll: Its Denver not LA.

This kind of reminds me of an old Pentecostal hymn that the elders use to sing.

'If'n ya ain't carrrr'in Caaassssee........tharrrrs sin in your liiiifffee.................'

:lol!:

Pre-1980 Case Brand is the only way to go! :D