knives

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight rider

Reaction score
How many of us carry knives? Just noticed the other night at work that most men now dont carry pocket knives. I have several knives myself. Dont carry them all at once, lol. I just seem to be the go to guy at work when some one needs to cut something. Just an observation.

Being a tradesman most of my adult life I never leave the house without at least one pocket knife of some kind. To me a wallet and a pocketknife are part of my attire.

Wallet

knife

lighter

watch

pipe

tobacco

In my book all needed items for the world.

Lets not forget cell phone.

But i can survive without the cell phone.

I always belived that the knife is one of mans oldest tools, next to the rock.

:D

midnight rider":y9rkwiep said:
How many of us carry knives? Just noticed the other night at work that most men now dont carry pocket knives. I have several knives myself. Dont carry them all at once, lol. I just seem to be the go to guy at work when some one needs to cut something. Just an observation.
I love knives of all kinds, and have "worn" a pocket knife since I was deemed old enough by my parents. The only time I'm without one is when I know I'll be going through security at the airport, but even then, there's one in my checked luggage for carry when I reach my destination.

The knife is arguably the most useful tool in the history of humankind. I can't imagine a day without finding at least one use for one.

I've got a small collection of knives that I've accumulated over the years, but for daily carry, it's usually an A.T. Barr liner lock with G10 scales, an A.G. Russell gentleman's lockback with stag scales, or a bone handled Böker stockman.

midnight rider":oi6mie9o said:
But i can survive without the cell phone.

I always belived that the knife is one of mans oldest tools, next to the rock.
I'm with you there. The blade was the beginning of civilization. The pen followed.

I never leave home without it. A small Buck folder.
:D
Maybe it's a middle-class sort of thing????? That's the category that I fall into. I don't know of many professionals that carry pocket knives. I guess they just hire people to do their cutting!!!!! :lol!:

I am addicted to carrying a Swiss Army Multitool,feel naked without it.

Winslow :sunny:

I too have carried a pocket knife of some type ever since I can remember. I used to think that all men did the same until I got older and began to meet more and more who didn't. Right now I carry a small Craftsman lock back razor knife and a Sheffield's IXL pipe knife.

I don't carry one anymore. But they are always handy. Mostly Case and Buck folders. A smattering of Gerber, some lock back and a couple drop point hunters. A couple custom, but not that fancy. Good steel and useful shapes. I am a little picky on the kitchen steel also. Forschner mostly. And those metal handled Rada knives.

For everyday/wear use I carry my Victorinox Swiss Army mini-champ. The one thing I love about it is the orange peeler blade along with a multitude of blades and tools packed into a small package. The cuticle tool is good for cleaning out smaller pipes too.

For hunting and other outdoor activities I carry either a Case mini-trapper or Kershaw 3000. The other day I found my long lost Kershaw bird hunter knife shaped like a shotgun shell with a single blade and gut hook so I'll be putting it to use this year I hope.

Jim

I allways have at least two, more often three: one in each of my two key rings (small Spyderco Ladybug) plus one other, usually William Henry. But I have an array of Al Mar, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc. Not too long ago I started building a collection (sold many pipes and vintage tobacco for it) whose main emphasis is on mother of pearl scales. I also have an AT Barr knife, but with ivory scales. AT Barr used to post a lot in ASP and makes beautiful knives.

I also carry a multitool and a small keychain-sized pry bar. :)

Great thread, my constant companion is my Spyderco Military. Black combo blade with G-10 scales, she's equally adept at opening a letter or serving as the great equalizer in a trip downtown.

Yer all a buncha lightweights. I never walk more than five steps out of bed without two of these. One on a chain around my neck, and another in my pocket as a backup.

swiss-army-knife.jpg

I always have a knife in my pocket. I switch out a one armed bandit (razor blade) craftsman yellow handle with sheeps foot blade and boker tree with three blades.

Hey GLP What ever happened to A.T. Barr? He used to be a member at the old Knox board. I used to enjoy chatting with him but it has been several years since I last talked to him. I really miss alot of the old crowd from knox and the even older stokers haven.

Case XX Moose pre-1980 and earlier is all I carry. Never put on a pair of pants without it being in my pocket. I have four of them made between 1970-79 that I rotate from time to time. Like Greg, when I am traveling by plane I always check a bag so it will be waiting for me at my destination.

eggman":gwhqvyzx said:
Hey GLP What ever happened to A.T. Barr?
A.T. had to give up the pipe for health reasons, but still makes and sells high quality knives. His website-- A.T.'s Knives though none of his are available now and isn't taking orders now due to a big backlog.

Jim...not trying to be GLP

Have carried a SOG Tomcat for close to 20 yrs now, good all around tool & it stands up to abuse.
tomcat.jpg