knives

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a reminder that the Atlanta Blade Show will be June 4th, 5th, and 6th this year. If you're a knife enthusiast or just enjoy seeing great craftsmanship this is the show to see. Blade Show Info

Jim

Kershaw Whirlwind 1560 and Victorinox Swiss Army multi-tool. I gave my original Swiss Army multi-tool, the one I carried during my entire military career, to my son when he enrolled in the Army Reserve Officer Training Program and felt unbalanced for several months. Then, my wife and daughter gave me a new one this past Christmas. Now, I feel balanced again.

A handgun, pocket knife, and Kubotan should be part of any prudent person's attire, I think.
Terry

Opinel #8 is what I've been carrying lately, though a #6 would likely be a better choice for a pocketknife. Used to have a Swiss Army Classic on me at all times, but then I lost one I had for years. It bummed me out too much to get another one. Have a Swiss Army Executive that I've beat up pretty well. It's probably taken more use than any other knife I've ever owned. Used a Camillus US Army/Scout all-stainless between the Classic and Executive. It's a heavy knife, so it is too noticeable in the pocket for my tastes.

I'm recently fascinated with the Mora #840 and the Becker BK2, though I have no good use for either. I'd almost buy a BK2 to use in the kitchen, just so I can have one. I've managed to avoid that silliness so far, though.

Mr.Maan on eBay sells some nice looking Damascus steel folding knives with hardwood and buffalo horn panels. I see people arguing about the steel quality and such, but really, I just think some of those knives are sharp looking. For the kind of tasks I need a knife, I'm sure they'd do just fine.

Carried pocket knives my entire life, well since I was 10 or 11 at least.
Used everywhere, for whatever reason, said use would never raise an eyebrow.

My normal carry for a day still includes a penknife. Felt like a right of passage in a way when I switched from pocket to pen.
I do know that a day without a penknife is just a day asking for frustration, LOL.

I have many. I normally carry my Kershaw black Storm, though. Got it from a friend who lost it, bought another, then found the first. I think it's completely reasonable to carry a pocket knife.

It stinks to travel now. You can't even take something as small as a Swiss Army Classic on a plane. You can see all the confiscated knives being sold on eBay. It's insulting.

I carry two daily for utility purposes and another in my boot on occasion. My everyday go to is a Gerber Paraframe I Titanium Nitride. As it turns out I use it to open sugar and creamer canisters in the break room at work at 5am , and that makes it a life saver!

Never leave home without an knife. I have said that evryday since i was sixteen when i started carrying one. My new EDC is an appalachian trail pocket knife and a multitool i got today frim my sister in law. Also got a cold steel finn bear. Great knife for anyone that has looked at them or thought about buying one.

I always carry a knife - a basic tool I'm suprised all people don't carry. I almost laugh when coworkers regard it as a weapon (seriously). In the hands of a seriously well trained person maybe, but I'd rather have a baseball bat or even a broom handle - a pocket knife and all I'm going to get is dead.

But my knives are carried as tools. Some of my favorites are a Case baby butterbean, a Case Peanut, my Scallion, my SAK Rucksack and my most recent purchase a gerber MP/Police model 1. I like knives. If I were not buying pipes, I'd be buying knives.

absent":hi2vtyyu said:
...I almost laugh when coworkers regard it as a weapon (seriously). ..
Strange times indeed absent.

About 5 years ago I worked for a small manufacturing company.
Helping out in the shipping department I took out my pen-knife to open supplies and was told that the company policy regarding knives was, oh my, NO personal knives!

Being new to the place I thought I was being ribbed, but that 2" x 1/4" Buck blade was actually deemed a dangerous item and not to be had on the premises! LOL, I might come unglued and attack someone with it.

Good thing for me that there were box knives everywhere you looked laying about.
Just in case I were to come unglued and all. (-;

At my work we can only use the store's 'certified saftey knives'. Which have about a 1/8" blade and can't stay open. Use of other knives will result in termination. Luckily my supervisor doesn't care and once the store closes and we're there alone him and I both use our normal knives for our duties.

I might, theoretically speaking only of course, have been known to carry an Emerson miini commander (pimped), one of my own Thumbnails, and either a Graham Brothers Stubby Folding Razel, Strider SMF, Jones Bro.s Custom Folder, or Emerson mini CQC7. That doesnt count whats in my pack. btw although I am probably by far the exception, yes, I would be considered a "professional". :cyclops:

++1 on the Blades Show. Missed it last year for the first time in a long time but I will be there this year!

Knives are banned at my place of work as well - they, no matter how small, are considered dangerous weapons. It is asinine. I could jab someone's eyes out with a pencil as easily as cutting them. If one wants it to be EVERYTHING is a weapon. How did we get to this point? I used to take a pocket knife to elementary school and none of the teachers blinked. Now as an adult people practically look on in horror if you pull out that scary SAK. We, as a nation, seem so eager to give up these basic things for this imagined shadow of security

LL":sbil40th said:
Yer all a buncha lightweights. I never walk more than five steps out of bed without two of these. One on a chain around my neck, and another in my pocket as a backup.

swiss-army-knife.jpg
Ahhh, I hope you don't work near water or drive over maglev tracks? :lol:

I usually carry a small pocket knife (on my key chain) but when I'm backpacking, hiking, and canoeing, I have a couple of different fixed blades I use. I'm helping some friends do a winter campout with the local boyscout troupe the next few days, and they've asked me to give a backpacking gear talk. One of the topics I always cover, especially with younger "men" is the uselessness of a large, heavy "Rambo" type knife in the woods. Young teen boys think a 9" blade at 1/4" thick is the perfect tool in the woods, but I try to dissuade them. I've got a few large bowies and several Busse and larger Swamp Rat's, and I really like my old, beat-to-sheet Camp Tramp for debarking firewood and splitting fatwood. But when you've got to carry that puppy every step of the way over several days, I'll take my 4" Howling Rat, a Swiss Army Knife (lock-blade with saw blade), and a 21" Sven Saw any day (which, by the way, all three combined weigh just about what my Busse Terror Monkey in it's sheath weighs!).

Natch

Natch":7w7fywg0 said:
LL":7w7fywg0 said:
Yer all a buncha lightweights. I never walk more than five steps out of bed without two of these. One on a chain around my neck, and another in my pocket as a backup.

swiss-army-knife.jpg
Ahhh, I hope you don't work near water or drive over maglev tracks? :lol:

I usually carry a small pocket knife (on my key chain) but when I'm backpacking, hiking, and canoeing, I have a couple of different fixed blades I use. I'm helping some friends do a winter campout with the local boyscout troupe the next few days, and they've asked me to give a backpacking gear talk. One of the topics I always cover, especially with younger "men" is the uselessness of a large, heavy "Rambo" type knife in the woods. Young teen boys think a 9" blade at 1/4" thick is the perfect tool in the woods, but I try to dissuade them. I've got a few large bowies and several Busse and larger Swamp Rat's, and I really like my old, beat-to-sheet Camp Tramp for debarking firewood and splitting fatwood. But when you've got to carry that puppy every step of the way over several days, I'll take my 4" Howling Rat, a Swiss Army Knife (lock-blade with saw blade), and a 21" Sven Saw any day (which, by the way, all three combined weigh just about what my Busse Terror Monkey in it's sheath weighs!).

Natch
:lol!: