Kramer's Tobaccos: The New Guy in Town

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LG, I figure why try them, don't want to get hooked on a blend that will no longer be available by March of 2018. Plus I need more tobacco in my cellar like I need another hole in my head....lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

LC, I hear ya. And concur with your assessment. I do not need more tobacco myself.
This being said, I'm sure this will interest some brothers. ;)

Lonecoyote":ziqebrzq said:
LG, I figure why try them, don't want to get hooked on a blend that will no longer be available by March of 2018. Plus I need more tobacco in my cellar like I need another hole in my head....lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I think these will stick around because nothing changed but the packaging, and the FDA relaxed the rules on that.

The Father Dempsey and English Blend are good tobaccos, the former being closer to an "English." I'd like to try the others. And who wouldn't want to taste what Cecil B. DeMille smoked? Not to slight SP, but you can buy these blends direct from Kramer's, though it might require a phone call. These blends have been available since the 1950s, I believe.

These blends go back to the late 40's and if all is kept original the FDA can not touch them. Meaning the original recipes all must be the same. Let's keep our fingers crossed. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I have an idea why they're doing this. The upcoming FDA regs. require shops to register as a "tobacco manufacturer" if they custom blend tobaccos on-site. This is going to be prohibitively expensive for a mom and pop operation to comply with, possibly forcing them to discontinue any house blends (Hobbit's Weed for example). By having a large, already registered tobacco company exclusively mix the blends for the shop, they merely buy the blends pre-mixed and sell them as-is on their tobacco bar. This tactic cleverly gets around the onerous FDA regs. The tobacco company can also tin the blends and market them nationwide, as Smoking Pipes is now doing. Smart move on Kramer's part.

CAcooper..... you hit the nail with the hammer....your spot on with your response.  Don't be surprised if a few of our old favorites return, as long as they are the original recipes. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Well, I guess this settles the "why?" From Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco Facebook page:

To our Friends and Customers:

We are overjoyed to announce that smokingpipes.com is now having our 7 private tobacco blends produced (to our exact formulas and specifications with the same blending tobaccos) and they will be selling them in tins and in bulk on their web-site: www.smokingpipes.com

New FDA rulings were instrumental in our joining forces with smokingpipes.com and it has truly turned out to be a blessing. Sykes Wilford and his staff at smokingpipes.com are upstanding folks and we not only have full confidence in them, but are amazed and grateful for their care. They have been most patient in allowing us input and oversight on the blends.

And this means that my parent’s story and these special blends will grow and flourish!!
We are forever grateful to Rick Newcombe for instigating this partnership with smokingpipes.com.
I know that my parents would be stunned, and that they are smiling big time!!

We still are blending for our walk in customers, at least for the time being, until the full effect of the FDA rulings are implemented.
So, if you are in the area, come visit!
And please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.
We sincerely thank you for your patronage and loyalty!

Marsha and Jim
www.kramerstobaccoshop.com [email protected]
(310) 273-9777

I have no source, inside info, or crystal ball revelations...But, I really do think the FDA is going to be told to back off on crazy regs like this one. Someone in the industry, I hope, is bringing this to the attention of saner heads in DC!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":mrulgzza said:
I have no source, inside info, or crystal ball revelations...But, I really do think the FDA is going to be told to back off on crazy regs like this one. Someone in the industry, I hope, is bringing this to the attention of saner heads in DC!! :cheers: FTRPLT
This is America. Or was. I hope you're right, but it bothers me that normal law-abiding Americans are acting out of fear of their own government. Carole Burns, of Pipes & Wilke, is bailing; her tobacco business is for sale. Hate to see Americanos reduced to this, regardless of whether you or I approve or disapprove of whatever they sell or do. Here's my opinion, symbolically and, mutatis mutandis, of what should be done with this government agency and most others:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lQFi1hHTq2I" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I'm hoping these stick around as they actually sound pretty good to me. I'll have to wait till April to order though. The -40 we had a while back trashed the car and repairs come first.

Jim