Kryptonite blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslots

Reaction score
I was never really into the "shipwrecked on an island" or "if you could only smoke one blend" type of questions.   Having easy access to and preferring to consume a wide variety has spoiled me too much to try and narrow anything down to a single favorite.    Some people can ... I cannot.

As an alternative I came up with this question:

What one blend, if it was the only tobacco that could  be obtained, would make you quit the pipe rather than smoke it?    
In other words, what is your kryptonite blend?

So far I've been lucky and have not been turned off by many blends, but Borkum Riff Cherry Liquor was a killer for my taste buds.   Bad flavor, goopy burn and tongue bite from hell.   I only smoked it twice, but that was enough for me to encase the remainder in molten lead and toss it in the Pacific.

It's easy to know what you're going to get with a Borkum Riff blend, but I was surprised by how much I disliked Mac Baren Vanilla Flake. That would be my most despised high-end pipe tobacco. That, W.O. Larsen Signature and Sillem's Black.

Pretty much any Lakeland blend!

220px-Poison_Help.svg.png

Cheers,

RR

Solani White and Black, blend 763...

You need a nice pounder of liquid magma to cool your tongue....

Phillip Morris Field and Stream from the 60's. It stank like a wet hippy! Patchouli the stench of that decade rolls out of your pipe and destroys everything within reach! Never,ever again!

Jim

DrumsAndBeer":k4noiavg said:
Cartaphilus":k4noiavg said:
Mixture 79 !
Wait, I thought you said you'd rather smoke Mixture 79 than another GLP blend? ;) :p
That Too but, I thought saying one bad thing about GLP blends was enough for one day.

Paladin's Black Cherry tops my list with M79 damn close behind :evil: Stuff like Field & Stream, London Dock, and M'Ton's Cherry Blend would make my list also. Yee-uck, I can't believe I ever smoked that stuff. But it was 50 years ago so I guess I learned my lesson :p :cheers: FTRPLT

C&D Crooner. Like Kryptonite, it requires lead shielding as a defense--the deer tongue is utterly overpowering. I had a tin sitting on the shelf for a while. I could smell it every time I walked in--from inside the closed tin, clear on the other side of the room. And any pipe it's smoked in? Forget ever being able to smoke anything else in that pipe without the spectral aroma of Crooner taking over. Blecch.

This is actually a really interesting question.  My first thought was McC 5100 which reminds me of cheap cigarettes soaked in vinegar, but I still smoked the 4 oz I ordered a few years ago, so maybe I would smoke it if that was all I could smoke.  I really don't like aros, but I don't think I would stop 100% if limited to an aro.  I would almost certainly smoke a lot less though.  I really can't come up with a "kryptonite" blend.  I enjoy the practice of smoking as much as the tobacco, so I think I would muddle through with just about anything.  But I'm very glad that I don't have to do so :cheers:
Mike.

huffelpuff":uvj8n5iz said:
Phillip Morris Field and Stream from the 60's. It stank like a wet hippy! Patchouli the stench of that decade rolls out of your pipe and destroys everything within reach! Never,ever again!

Jim
And it almost took an act of God for me to get rid of the batch you sent me! :D Btw, Flying Dutchman is on my list. Bit my tongue hard within four puffs. I like Sutliff's Match Flying Dutchman, though.

tslots":gw64il2w said:
What one blend, if it was the only tobacco that could  be obtained, would make you quit the pipe rather than smoke it?    
Bad as some others are, I think Paladin Black Cherry is the only one I literally could not smoke if I had to smoke it straight. Reminds me of obnoxious car deodorant or certain obnoxious hair pomades or even urinal cakes. It's smokeable if you dilute hell out of it with, say, Granger mixed 4:1 or better, but that would defeat the terms of your query.

There are many, many blends that would kill pipe smoking. Actually, I don't like most of the blends out there enough to keep smoking a pipe, therefore a list would be too large to contemplate. Looking at my notes (I keep a small log with tasting notes on all the blends that I try), I think that I would consider smoking about 100 out of the nearly 700 blends I have annotated. It used to be more, but I don't smoke Latakia blends anymore and that has reduced the list considerably.

There are many blends/mixtures I've smoked over my 40+ years of smoking that do/don't "make" it for me but I'd have to say that out of all of them NOTHING made in the Lakelands by EITHER of the firms that produce 'em are worth my smoking again !! Old Ladies Soap and 'baccy just don't do it for me!! To each his own !! :twisted: :twisted:

Yep Paladin Black Cherry to me is the worst of the worst. I smoked it once and had to suck ice cubes for a couple of hours before I could smoke again. And of course I tossed the pouch into the trash bin.

I never had any problems with Flying Dutchman when I smoked it in the mid '70s. No bite as I recall but not much on flavor either, and it would burn down the bowl like a house afire so there was nothing but very short smokes as I recall. Oddly enough I kind of liked the stuff.