Larry's Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
The pouch aroma and look of the tobacco would have you believe that it is a full-latakia blend, but from the first puff the presence of the vigorous orientals intervenes to subdue that smoky weed. Although I cannot say which orientals are used, I can say that they are at the same time hearty but subordinate to the latakia—but not by much. The tin description says that the orientals are "buttery," which to me connotes creaminess, oiliness and smoothness; although I don't disagree, I would describe them more in the traditional vein as floral and herbaceous, with a distinct yet nondescript character, if that contradiction makes any sense.

The idea that a particular tobacco component will be more or less strong depending on the interaction of the other tobaccos in the blend, and to a lesser extent, the percentage of its inclusion, well describes the interplay of the latakia and orientals. I think if VAs were substituted for the orientals, at whatever percentages need be to similarly impact the blend, the latakia would have been more prominent.

It was hard to keep lit.

When I first tasted the blend, I thought that it would make for a good latakia alternative; but the more I smoke it, the more I like it.

Fun stuff, it sounds like. Buttery with Latakia sounds divine, and right in my interest.

What kind of floral notes, would you say, earthy like chrysanthemum or daisy, sweeter like dandelion, lily or honeysuckle, savory like sage or oregano blooms, or fragrant like rose and jasmine flower?

I find it great how well Virginia holds Latakia up so well.

I have a hard time describing describing the orientals as "buttery." Just because someone wrote that doesn't mean that they are correct; what do they know, anyway:)?

The floral note is definitely not sweet and much more earthy, but not in the sense that I understand it from cigars, where I use it to connote a gritty depth, where I can spot it easily. There is a highness and a satisfying, savory component here.

So I guess this is a daisy, oregano florality.

Hope this helps; question more if you like.

Nope, that did it... "floral" is an expansive word that is direct yet not, but I have narrowed down the flavor/scent to the three groups (roughly) I mentioned. There is a fourth group, flowers that STINK, like marigold and geranium, but I doubt that's a flavor profile someone would go after. :lol: You never know, though. 8)

If you're having problems keeping Larry's Blend lit, the issue is probably the Latakia. To get more Latakia flavor in the blend without increasing the percentage, I use a granulated form that gives off more flavor at the same weight, but the pieces are finer and can get compressed. Because of this, pack the pipe more loosely and that should eliminate the problem.

Russ

Larry's Blend is a great smoke, one of my favorite full English blends. For a little bit milder blend, you might want to try Russ's Ten to Midnight, a dark crumble cake that is also very good. It's a little hard to break apart, I generally use a small coffee grinder and hit it with 1-2 second bursts until it's the correct texture.

Smokey

I first encountered Larry's Blend when I got back into pipes after a 43 yr hiatus, having been stuck on DH Aperitif, 965, Nightcap (pre Murray) and Sobranie 759 (not the white tin). I got one of the P&C samplers and Larry's was targeted. LB promptly shot to the top of my Cellar list, then my Top20, even over my hoarded NC and 965 that I dug back out of my random storage.

Now, over a thousand blends later, with 800+ tins and baggies in and around the house, my Cellar objective is to load up only on my Top100, and I'm mostly there. But Larry's is still at the top of the list, even though Smoker's Haven, Dan, Peretti's, Grant's, Park Lane, GLP and McClelland (among others) have candidates in the Cellar trying to topple Larry's.

hp
les

For anyone familiar with both Larry's Blend and Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard, would you say they're similar? I ask because Larry's is described as "buttery" and densely smokey, and one thing I love about Beck's Ol' is the buttery, creamy, soap-like flavor. To me, that is old school English at the height of the game. Crown Achievement used to be like that as well, to add another one to the group. Or if you feel you have another one in the realm of Beck's, please don't hesitate to recommend.

I've never smoked Larry's so can't give a description. I am smoking Beck's OLB right now. I agree, it's buttery and smooth for a Latakia blend, but I don't get any soapy taste to the tobacco. The Latakia in the Beck's seems to be very mild compared to other Lats I've smoked. One similar Lat blend that I enjoy is Grand Croupier's Boneyard.

Corncobcon":nxz3ppvd said:
I've never smoked Larry's so can't give a description. I am smoking Beck's OLB right now. I agree, it's buttery and smooth for a Latakia blend, but I don't get any soapy taste to the tobacco. The Latakia in the Beck's seems to be very mild compared to other Lats I've smoked. One similar Lat blend that I enjoy is Grand Croupier's Boneyard.
soapy is a poor term, but it is what I've known to be used. not soapy as in bad taste, but creamy smooth and very rich in flavor is what I think they/I were going for with the term soapy. thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into that blend. I'd not heard of it.

Zeno Marx":gs9twp1u said:
Corncobcon":gs9twp1u said:
I've never smoked Larry's so can't give a description.  I am smoking Beck's OLB right now.  I agree, it's buttery and smooth for a Latakia blend, but I don't get any soapy taste to the tobacco.  The Latakia in the Beck's seems to be very mild compared to other Lats I've smoked. One similar Lat blend that I enjoy is Grand Croupier's Boneyard.
soapy is a poor term, but it is what I've known to be used.  not soapy as in bad taste, but creamy smooth and very rich in flavor is what I think they/I were going for with the term soapy.  thanks for the recommendation.  I'll look into that blend.  I'd not heard of it.
I understand. When I think of "soapy", I think of the Lakeland style tobaccos! It's just a matter of individual taste.

I get the “soapy”descriptor. Sometimes if the Latakia and oriental tobacco is balanced in a certain way I’ll pick up on a note that could certainly be well described as that. I especially notice it in Commonwealth Mixture. In certain Pease blends I pick up on an almost medicinal scent that reminds me of a strong blue cheese, and adhesive bandages. This phenolic aroma also has an antiseptic quality to it that could be described as soapy.

DrumsAndBeer":o9zpag65 said:
I get the “soapy”descriptor. Sometimes if the Latakia and oriental tobacco is balanced in a certain way I’ll pick up on a note that could certainly be well described as that. I especially notice it in Commonwealth Mixture. In certain Pease blends I pick up on an almost medicinal scent that reminds me of a strong blue cheese, and adhesive bandages. This phenolic aroma also has an antiseptic quality to it that could be described as soapy.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification. It's the taste I've always called "band-aids."

Before P&C was sold to Cigars International, they were located above a shop in Albany NY (Habana Premium Cigars, near Wolf Road). I used to stop in occasionally, smoke a pipe after work and pick up a few ounce of Larry's Blend. One night, I walked in and the Russ O asked if I was there for Pipe Night. I said "yep" and he walked me back to a group of mostly much older guys. They introduced themselves and one of the guys was Larry, of Larry's blend fame. He wasn't much of a talker. He was pretty old 15 years ago, I suspect he might have left us?

riff raff":xl1g9spz said:
Before P&C was sold to Cigars International, they were located above a shop in Albany NY  (Habana Premium Cigars, near Wolf Road).  I used to stop in occasionally, smoke a pipe after work and pick up a few ounce of Larry's Blend.  One night, I walked in and the Russ O asked if I was there for Pipe Night.  I said "yep" and he walked me back to a group of mostly much older guys.  They introduced themselves and one of the guys was Larry, of Larry's blend fame.  He wasn't much of a talker.  He was pretty old 15 years ago, I suspect he might have left us?
Unfortunately, you're correct. Last year I was informed by my daughter (who's the assistant manager of the Albany Habana Premium store) that Larry Loertzel has passed away. He had been on a slow and steady decline for some time, so the news, though sad and unwelcome, wasn't unexpected. As mentioned, Larry was a man of few words, but had a wonderful sense of humor and was a tremendously knowledgeable person. There will be a bit of sadness now when I go to visit the store knowing that I won't see Larry again.

Russ

Regret Larry's passing, may he RIP. He sure created one fine 'baccy!!! Still have two 4 oz. jars (packed tight!!) in the cellar.FTRPLT

Blackhorse":edz51v4e said:
You guys dredging up 5 and 6 year old posts and continuing the conversation as though not a day has passed...it cracks me up.  

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, but... some of us haven't been here that long, and this is new, to me anyway!
8)