Last 12 Months...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
So I haven't been around the forum or even been keeping up on the pipe world at all lately. With the weather getting gloomy I've been really missing it. Could you all be so kind as to fill me in on any new exciting blends that have come out within the last 12 months? I really need to get back in the know. :lol:

jhuggett":qd3u7hy7 said:
So I haven't been around the forum or even been keeping up on the pipe world at all lately. With the weather getting gloomy I've been really missing it. Could you all be so kind as to fill me in on any new exciting blends that have come out within the last 12 months? I really need to get back in the know. :lol:
Well Balkan Sobrainie is being produced again. Although it is still a pain in the arse to find. What else? McClelland actually released a blend that I like in Wilderness.

Gl pease's sextant is a new one if I am not mistaken. And I just picked up balkan sobranie at IRC... they still have a couple tins left

If you like the demon rum, Sextant is one to try for sure. Nice sorta sweet, kinda buttery flavor in that smoky latakia blend. Not to mention the rum. :sunny:

Frog Morton's Cellar. If your sweet tooth is itchin', and you want to ooh and ahh at the chunk of wood they include in the tin, she's your kind of lady. :lol:

8)

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, a tin of flakes that have a lot of dark fired kentucky, they're strong like Irish flake. It was too strong for me.

Peaseweed, always new stuff coming out which is fun. I need to check em out, haven't bought any new GLP since Union Square (heresy, I know. I was concentrating on cellaring a few staples this past year or so). Sextant sounds interesting.

The new iteration of Balkan Sobranie seems as tough to get as the old iteration.

Blackhorse has been touting some interesting sounding John Patton blends.

Thanks guys. Looks like I haven't missed too much but some interesting blends have been mentioned.

PD, you haven't tried Jackknife Plug yet? That's crazy talk man.

jhuggett":hhl6jd51 said:
Thanks guys. Looks like I haven't missed too much but some interesting blends have been mentioned.

PD, you haven't tried Jackknife Plug yet? That's crazy talk man.
Oh yeah, GLP makes Jackknife in "Ready Rubbed" now, too...for those who aren't allowed to have/can't handle sharp knives. :p Sextant is great, though.

8)

I know, I know..... So many tobaccos, so little time.... Almost every tobacco order I've placed in the last year and a half has been for a single, special tobacco in larger quantities. Mostly from Uhle's. I've had this enormous stash of little jars haunting my closet for the last half dozen years. I've been slowly working my way through that stuff. It's tough to buy more singles of this or that when you're trying to scale back to something resembling a sane number :lol:

I've heard Samuel Gawith is comng out with something called FVF or something like that,,,I haven't seen it available yet though,,, :suspect:

John Patton-

Oriental Dusk:

Oriental and Cigar Leaf dominate this five tobacco blend, with both Virginia and Burley in supporting roles. This is a tasty medium strength smoke that won't bite. A wonderful blend for anyone who likes to DGT.

Dark Horse:

Turkish, Oriental Virginia, 2 Burleys, Cigar Leaf and Perique produce a medium strength blend with a smooth, full range of flavors.

MacBarens Old Dark Fired:

A bold flake of dark-fired burleys in a well balanced unity with Flue-cured Virginias. This flake is Hot Pressed, meaning that during the pressing, heat is added by steam to the tobaccos which causes the tobacco to intensify the marrying process giving us a bolder tobacco. The robust, earthly flavour of the dark-fired burleys shines through in the taste, and you will experience a deeply satisfying smoke indee

These are a few of the ones that have been blowing my skirt up lately.

HTH

:drunken:

Cheers,

RR

Speaking of the chunk-o-wood in-a-can there's also the Stave Aged 35 by McClelland. It's their 35th anniversary Virginia blend.

Others have mentioned Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. I'll mention it because I think it's really good and definitely worth checking out if you like a burley weed smoke in the vien of Solani Aged Burley Flake.

One that just came out that piqued my interest is Hearth and Home's Fusilier's Ration. It's an attempt at recreating Bengal Slices.

GLP is advertising a new blend called Navigator that looks good as well, although it's yet to be released.

I assume Dan Tobacco Milonga has been out for quite some time, but it is an awesome VA/Aro cross.

Been wondering where you've been, Jason, good to "see" you again.

And as far as your comment on: "I really need to get back in the know.", I've found that unknowing ignorance always worked for me. :lol:

Natch

Thanks again guys. That Dark Fired sounds pretty good.

Natch, I think you're correct. I haven't had the urge to spend all my money on PAD/TAD for a while and now that I'm reading about it again I feel it kicking in. :lol: