Latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
How many Latakia loving brothers have we got?

I love Latakia! Van Erkoms SA make a Pure Latakia and I've mixed it in with a number of other tobaccos. It goes very well with Van Erkoms Jock. But I also smoke it straight from a specially dedicated MM Legend. Only problem is I'm not allowed anywhere near the house while I'm puffing away at it.

Well, I had to grow to like Latakia, but now I love it, and I've yet to experience a Lat blend that I don't enjoy! :cheers:

(But then, I've only tried a few so far...)

To speedy Pete: In reply to your question about being Lat lovers...."You can call me Cassanova"! And I'm stink'in happy to smell like one.

I love latakia as well. I smoke a few straight virginias / VaPers on occasion, but the majority of what I smoke has latakia in it.

The other day, a guy working at my B&M told me he hates latakia. He said he likes his pig to have a smoky flavor, not his baccy... :lol:

I'm a big Lat fan, though I like a good VA as well. I keep a jar of straight Latakia in my cellar to perk up blends that might be lacking some flavor. A shot of Latakia does wonders for 1Q, for example.

I would say that sixty percent of my pipe smoking is some latakia blend or another. I love the stuff!

Mike

Let me put it this way. I'd have an Islay malt over any other bewerage regardless of the occasion and my kitchen cupboards are bursting with the reek of Lapsang Sauchong :monkey:

But it all started with a bowlful of Margate many years ago...

I love latakia, but it must be smoked outdoors (wife rule). I have a tin of Squadron Leader and a tin of Navy Flake at the moment. Both are superb.

I enjoyed my first bowl of GL Pease Odyssey last evening. Lot's of latakia and a somewhat one dimensional smoke but enjoyable. It does leave the mouth "flavored" for a long time. I tend to enjoy my heavest Lat blends in the evening just before bedtime. They "condition" my mind for a good night's sleep.

Latakiaphile. I don't really "get" the Va/Pers. I do dig escudo on occasion however.

The majority of my favorite blends contain Latakia.

I love anything smoked,....bacon, poblanos, ribs, brisket, breakfast sausage, cheese, balogna, pork butt, you name it,.....and of course; tobacco!

Yes, especially good around the campfire on a cold night. It always reminds me of when you get a whiff of woodsmoke that the wind has carrried on a cold day.

I would guess that over 80% of my pipe smoking involves a blend with Latakia. English or Balkan, love them both. Some of my favorites; Stokkebye's Proper English, Lancers Slices, GLP Blackpoint, McBarren Vintage Syrian and Emperor Goose (an old Bufflehead blend not available anymore).

After all that has been said here, Latakia is simply delicious, as is Virgina and VaPer blends. In short, all quality pipe tobaccos are delicious to some segment of the pipe smoking community or they will soon not be produced!

Love it. It's in 90% of what I smoke.

Hated it at first though.

I notice you are into Billy Bud. BB is on my try next list. I'm into Latakia (C&D Engine99) and I add my own cigar leaf to the blend. I wonder how similar my home blend is to Billy Bud. We will soon find out.