Latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know. In the past I hadn't been much into blends with cigar leaf, but Billy Bud convinced me, probably because there was so much of it.

About a year or two ago I tried Dominican Glory Maduro and did not like it. I think I like my own personal blend because I add a small quantity of the cigar I like to smoke. We really do not know what the commercial blenders use. I will let you know how they compare. Have you ever smoked C&D Engine99?

Not yet. Are you recommending it? I'm not sure what to make of the list of tobaccos included in it (burley, cavendish, Virginia, latakia, perique AND Turkish). I like powerhouse blends, but is there any room for subtlety?

Kevin P: Yes a hearty recommendation. Engine 99 is a great tobacco. I sprinkle in cigar leaf from either a Punch Magnum or a Partagas Black Label both of which I enjoy. Try the Engine straight and then experiment with some cigar leaf. I chop up the butt of a smoked cigar in a dedicated coffee grinder that I keep just for that purpose. I learned the trick from Pipestud on the internet. He uses a grinder to grind his own weed. You would be amazed at how much tobacco one ground butt produces. Just let the grinder go for about two seconds. That is all it takes to get some great flake. I always keep a small jar of cigar flake available for addition to my smokes adding it about a pinch at a time.

Brothers, I thank you for your responses. You've set my mind at ease. I was a bit worried that I might be off the road as far as my love for latakia is concerned. I can't go a day without it :lol:

I'm another fan of Latakia, but then I'm not discriminating. I also love a good burley, Virginia, and even Aromatics. The one that I learned I'm not a big fan of when I blended my own was Perique. I could load a blend with a good amount of Latakia and be happy (I love the smell of winter with the smell of fires in fireplaces, and I love the smell of a campfire so Latakia is a natural), but a tiny bit of Perique went a long way.

I smoke it when I am in the mood, I have several blends that contain various amounts of it, my Savinelli English Mixture seems to be the strongest by far.

I did however get a comment recently from the old lady: "Whatever you were just smoking is not my favorite... I am going to get you some new tobacco" :lol:

Mike: Better admit it. You are a Latakia lover. No longer a need for dedicated pipes. They are all going to be Latakia pipes in your future. The girls hate it but a man loves it. No better smoke on the earth. Wait until you crack a tin of Three Oaks Syrian....You will want a big pipe because you will not want your smoke to end.

Just say NO to the DARKSIDE!! Used to be a Latakia freak but can't tolerate the Devil's weed now.

Hey fellas, new to the forums, got into pipes about a year ago for a short time, but looking to pick up another soon. I saw "latakia" and it made me smile, so i thought I'd share my opinion..

"back then" I was given a sample of McClelland 5110, and from the first bowl, I knew that latakia blends would be at the top of my list.

Now to decide what my first TINNED latakia blend will be...

Well, my first ah-ha moment with latakia was Frog Morton. But, that's not terribly latakia to me (or really to many). An odd perfume which I adore, but not terribly indicative of latakia. Now when I want the darkside I reach for Ten Russians.

My first true, classic, English per se was probably GLP's Westminster. I'd say that is a pretty good start point, if you like it but need more kick, move towards 10 Russians. If less, then I guess towards Frog Morton.

A bunch of the guys are far more experienced than I am however, and I defer to their superior suggestions.

My morning smoke grandly billowing as I type is GLP Odessey. Lot's of latakia tons of smoke and my pleasure this morning. This is the heavy hitter in the GL Pease line up. For those of us who like the weed it's a home run.

Natch: Well I guess two kids like us have gotten to know what good is. It's even better with scotch, but we reserve that for non work days. The ladies may not like it but as far as I am concerned, the aroma of Latakia is a pipesmoking man's cologne. Along with my American Express Card, I never leave home without it. Enjoy your's my brother.

Latakia/Oriental in my house = wife repellent. I just picked up a tin of the newly revamped Duhill London Mix. She said it was the worst smelling tobacco I've gotten yet. I knew it was going to taste wonderful. :twisted:

It's not that I dislike larakia but more the case that I love other tobacco genres so much more. I almost never smoke latakia.