Late-night pipe smoking locales

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garages already have manly smells, so tobacco smoke could be less of an issue. They also can be equipped with comfy chairs and entertaining electronics, not to mention coolers. Best setup I know of is in a separate three-bay garage. The owner installed a floor in the rafters, nailed a makeshift ladder into  the studs and hauled a discarded couch and teevee up there. His wife can't climb the ladder, possibly because he nailed it up:) The location also discourages the notion that any indoor room requires a feminine touch to make it home.

This is one of those times where I find myself wishing I had a lounge like Dock. Of course I don't need something to make others jealous, but if I can build it myself all the better. After all, the garage has always been the original man cave.

Bad Science
Skewed Datasets
Lack of Rigor

Welcome to almost everything with an agenda.

A cynical view of this really enforces our herd mentality.

I don't smoke in the house either. That is the wife's wish, but I wouldn't even if she wasn't around, I just don't want my home to smell like a tobacco lounge. Same for my car, I just wouldn't stink up any of my vehicles. (if I had a beater truck I probably would)
So, I have the patio for warm weather and my garage/workshop in the winter. I'm fortunate, the garage is insulated and I have two heat sources and wi-fi, so it's pretty comfortable. Last night a huge storm blew up in Maryland, and it drove me off the patio into the garage. I just put the garage door up and enjoyed watching the storm whip around me, safe and dry. Plus in the garage, I get to look at my bike and car...
When I'm done smoking, the wife is waiting inside, which definitely has some fringe benefits....<g>

I've continued to vary my options inside the garage and out in the back yard/side of the house. However, I feel bad for our neighbors on the shared side. I always hear them slide the door closed once I've lit up and taken a few larger puffs. On warm nights, I can see this being an issue as they don't have AC.

I'm trying to be a pleasant and accommodating neighbor. I already feel bad for having made too much noise later at night on a couple occasions, so I would like to just stick to the confines of the garage. Is there a good way to purify the air inside a garage that isn't noisy later at night while still being effective at deodorizing?

I simply put a large box fan in the window of my den and puff away in comfort and the smoke is vented adequately. Earl

earl":va0wir9d said:
I simply put a large box fan in the window of my den and puff away in comfort and the smoke is vented adequately. Earl
Same here, works a charm!

Harlock999":peiyznoz said:
earl":peiyznoz said:
Same here, works a charm!
My fellow dorm residents in the early 70's applied the same approach to eliminate smoke of another variety from their environs.:lol:  Earl

Just two minutes ago, sitting at the edge of my garage, a juvenile skunk walked right in front of me within inches. Not exactly a brush with death, but it would have ruined the entire experience with my Pease Cumberland, as well as my weekend.

mejoshee":o2lvnhm3 said:
Just two minutes ago, sitting at the edge of my garage, a juvenile skunk walked right in front of me within inches. Not exactly a brush with death, but it would have ruined the entire experience with my Pease Cumberland, as well as my weekend.
Close enough to death for my nostrils to handle!

As for me, I smoke in my office/workshop inside. To get rid of the odor I have smoke exterminator candles and sprays I picked up from the local B&M. These do a very swell job of mixing with the smoke and smelling good to my wife and housemates, at least that's what I'm told!

mejoshee":afebjwba said:
You should have reached down and picked him up by his tail.  That prevents them from spraying you.  (I have always wondered if that's an old wife's tale.)  So give it a go next time and let me know how one sits them down after, if it actually worked.

No hide nor hair of the skunk since then, despite having smoked a few other times in the garage with the door either part or all the way open.

I'm still fearful of what will happen come winter. I don't want rain and wind blowing in sideways and I don't want my wife chiding my habits even if I smoke only once a week but leave the garage closed. I guess there's really no way around this problem except to either move to the woods or don't smoke. I think we all know the latter is dreadful. :roll:

I've tried smoking a couple days at work but I cannot stand all the stupid "here's your sign" comments like "you smokin' a pipe?" Plus I feel that it stresses me out even more thinking about time and getting back to work, which is not the point of the entire pipe smoking ritual. :x

The only solution is to quit the day job and open a men's smoking club. Visit some in London for ideas on your trip and that'll make it deductible. With some luck you'll be able to franchise it to others in your sad situation.

JKenP":hsaddqbm said:
The only solution is to quit the day job and open a men's smoking club.  Visit some in London for ideas on your trip and that'll make it deductible.  With some luck you'll be able to franchise it to others in your sad situation.
I love your posts JKenP. Would that I could...

I'd be happy to, but you'd have to take it up with the wife.

Major update finally. I have acquired some cool racks, cool pipes, and an awesome tansu cabinet to house everything. LOTS OF PICS! Check it out:

This is a lightweight Japanese cabinet designed for easy carrying and reconfiguration in a traditional Japanese home. This one has unknown provenance, but is supposedly meant for kimono storage. It's made of 3 parts with an open space in the top with 2 sliding doors and 3 small drawers for miscellaneous items, a middle section with 4 shallow "drawers", where I presume the kimonos (or other clothing) were kept, and a bottom section with larger, deeper drawers.

I put my pipe accessories in the drawers, with jars and bags in the middle one:

Tobacco in various forms go in the middle drawers, with the top section housing the "queue" of tins ready to smoke now.

The bottom drawers right now don't have much, but are great for storing long-term cellar stuff, like big tins and bulk jars. I could probably store the 8oz tins 2 high in the bottom drawer, with enough space for probably about 30+ stacks. Right now, there's not much there, but there's room for expansion :twisted: 

Finally, a bunch of pipes on my new couple of racks. All are Decaturs, except for possible the 6x one. The "HAWAII" pipe ashtray was a kitsch thing I found from ebay that were apparently pretty popular in the 70s. Being originally from Hawaii, I thought it'd be cool to pick it up. I don't really intend to use it for an ashtray, but it's still something fun to look at.

I'm really glad I finally have somewhere to put all my pipes that looks somewhat organized! 8) 

Ya know, I've been smoking outside for years, MY choice, because I don't like the smell or the grunge it leaves on everything.
You get use to it and I'd rather be outside enjoying the view anyway. 40-50 degree temps is nothing to bundle up about. I wish for temps like that here, that's not even sweater weather.
I smoke in 20 degree weather although when it's hot out 90 and above I don't even try because it affects the quality of the smoke. I'm a fairly early riser so I usually get out on the stoop about 5:30am -6:30am for my first smoke and then on the porch about 8:00am. If you enjoy your smoke as much as I do, you'll do what it takes to keep on enjoying it.
BTW, I bought a set of Carharts for winter smoking and a skunk isn't going to bother you if you don't bother it, just don't scare it. Got plenty of them and other critters around here and they tend to keep there distance from us humans.

:cheers: I mainly smoke outside as well, the cattle and the dogs don't seem to mind. Late at night I smoke a bowl or too in my basement den but always light a candle so my wife don't try to light my ass the next morning. Love the tobacco storage!