Latest order from Mr. Snuff

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
F&T Seville 25g - Another perfumed F&T flavor. I read that it has Morlaix in it. It's similar but has a bright lingering citrus tone.
Toque SP Extra 10g - this is a good SP, wonderful Bergamot scent and a good bit of that invigorating SP burn.
Toque Rose 10g - Very nice Rose flavored snuff. Think Rose of Sharrow w/o the plastic-like smell.
Toque Almond Toast 10g - A Toast with good strength and burn along with a subtle marzipan scent. Nice!
Wilson's Sandalwood 5g - Great scent, works perfect with the tobacco tone. Nice burn too.
Wilson's Tom Buck 5g - I guess this is an SP. It's flavorful with a nice kick and a good citrus peel scent.
McCrystals Hops 8.75g - Lovely, Lovely, LOVELY snuff. The hop scent is perfect. Smells like freshly dried noble hop cones. Not piney like some of the high alpha acid varietals, but more floral & citrusy like Hallertau or Saaz hops. Awesome snuff.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I dipped Copenhagen for awhile and tried other snuffs but never found it satisfying. Are there any quality natural tobacco snuffs that aren't flavored? In the end I found Copenhagen an odd taste, and I always worried about it rotting my teeth:).

Nice order!  I'm with you on the McCrystal's Hops (Hopfen Schnupf) - lovely stuff, quite amazing.

alfredo_buscatti":r1jfc4n7 said:
I dipped Copenhagen for awhile and tried other snuffs but never found it satisfying. Are there any quality natural tobacco snuffs that aren't flavored? In the end I found Copenhagen an odd taste, and I always worried about it rotting  my teeth:).
Mike, These are all snuffs of the "nasal" variety. Like you, I can't chew, nor do I want to chew anymore. I know Copenhagen is labeled as snuff, but I think that label is kind of a misnomer. 25 years ago I did enjoy whole leaf chew like Beech Nut or Levi Garrett along with an occasional tin of Kodiak or Hawken. I could never hang with Copenhagen though, not without feeling dizzy and eventually sick. Yuck. :no: 

keen smoke":r1jfc4n7 said:
Nice order!  I'm with you on the McCrystal's Hops (Hopfen Schnupf) - lovely stuff, quite amazing.
Thanks keen smoke. Yeah these are all really good. At least once an order I usually strike out with a tin or two, but not this time. :cheers: 

What you're buying is the fully ground variety of snuff? You don't snort it, like in the movies of those who used snuff 200 years ago? You tuck a pinch between your cheek and teeth, or inside your lower lip?

That McCrystal's Hops sounds right up my alley.

alfredo_buscatti":3o9ezc62 said:
What you're buying is the fully ground variety of snuff? You don't snort it, like in the movies of those who used snuff 200 years ago? You tuck a pinch between your cheek and teeth, or inside your lower lip?
I know this question was directed to DB, but it felt odd to contribute without answering.

This is is fully ground (some finer and drier than others). It is consumed by a gentle snort into your nose.

gravel":3pa6p44c said:
This is is fully ground (some finer and drier than others). It is consumed by a gentle snort into your nose.
Yep. Gravel says "Snort," I say "Snoot." Potato/Patato :p 

In keeping with my tradition of posting my orders on other folk's threads:

Wilsons Sandalwood 5g
Wilsons Camphor & Mild 5g
De Kralingse Gingerbread 12.5g
McChrystal's Mild Lemon 3.5g
Ozona President 7g
De Kralingse Chococreme 12.5g

More desert this time. I was tempted by SG Black Coffee, but it is likely I would be disappointed so I skipped it.

I realized I forgot McCrystal's Hops after the fact. Good news! Another reason to order later!

the hop snuff sounds wonderful. i'll pick it up on my next order if i ever do another one.

gravel":zjpgr6l7 said:
In keeping with my tradition of posting my orders on other folk's threads:

Wilsons Sandalwood 5g
Wilsons Camphor & Mild 5g
De Kralingse Gingerbread 12.5g
McChrystal's Mild Lemon 3.5g
Ozona President 7g
De Kralingse Chococreme 12.5g

More desert this time. I was tempted by SG Black Coffee, but it is likely I would be disappointed so I skipped it.

I realized I forgot McCrystal's Hops after the fact. Good news! Another reason to order later!
And here was that order:
McChrystal's Hops 8.75g
Fribourg & Treyer French Carotte 25g
Bernard Aecht Alt Schmalzler 10g
Bernard Brasil Doppelt Fermentiert 10g
Toque Lime Toast 10g
Dholakia Swiss Chocolate 10g
Wilsons SP Best 5g
Wilsons Tom Buck Extra Strong SP 5g
Bernard Klostermischung 10g

Well I decided to place my first order with Mr. S and was all ready to go. Then I read the feedback here about McChrystals hops. I just had to throw that on before I placed the order. Can't wait til it gets here.

Trifecta13":i8bys8w0 said:
Well I decided to place my first order with Mr. S and was all ready to go. Then I read the feedback here about McChrystals hops. I just had to throw that on before I placed the order. Can't wait til it gets here.
Well if you like the smells of fresh hops, you will like that McChrystal's flavor. I get almost zero tobacco flavor from it. The hops scent is really dialed in.

What else did you order?  :?:  :?:  Inquiring minds need to know..:D

All this hullabaloo about McC's hops has me doubting myself.

I got a tin several orders ago (maybe a year or so back) and it was dreadful. It was like shell fish and rotting leaves...I know some snuffs can have some ammonia-like qualities and are made right with just a bit of fresh air and time. I didn't think that was it, but maybe it was.

Anyway, I can't imagine this can really be as bad as I thought.

Looks like I'll add it to the cart so its waiting for me when I place another order.

I have experienced the ammonia scent with several different flavors. I really notice it with citrus scented Toasts and certain SP's. I think it's synonymous with freshness.

If you air it out just a tad it will dissipate. My last tin of McC's Hops was enjoyable right out of the tin.

DrumsAndBeer":bxzdms7x said:
Trifecta13":bxzdms7x said:
Well if you like the smells of fresh hops, you will like that McChrystal's flavor. I get almost zero tobacco flavor from it. The hops scent is really dialed in.

What else did you order?  :?:  :?:  Inquiring minds need to know..:D
My apologies for the delay. I am never one to deny inquiring minds. The order is as follows.

Toque Apricot 10g
Toque Toffee 10g
Toque Vanilla 10g
Wilsons Apple Blackcurrant 10g
McChrystal's Hops 8.75g

Also picked up a new tap box as mine is lost somewhere to the annals of time. I've never tried toast snuffs, but have long been curious. Any in particular you would recommend?

Trifecta13":saomfozt said:
My apologies for the delay. I am never one to deny inquiring minds. The order is as follows.

Toque Apricot 10g
Toque Toffee 10g
Toque Vanilla 10g
Wilsons Apple Blackcurrant 10g
McChrystal's Hops 8.75g

Also picked up a new tap box as mine is lost somewhere to the annals of time. I've never tried toast snuffs, but have long been curious. Any in particular you would recommend?
Looks like a good order there.

Toasts, oh yeah. To me toasts are like the Straight VA's of the pipe tobacco world. For the most part they are extremely subtle but can also can be quite powerful with vitamin N. They are also very finely ground and quite dry so they take some practice to enjoy and there are a few techniques to use when using them that are helpful.

The obvious choice for starters would be F&T High Dry Toast. The first time I had it, it reminded me of the crawl space in a raised foundation home. It took me a while to appreciate it.

I also like Toque Natural Toast, which I find to be a bit more smoky in flavor than HDT.

Toque also has a few flavored Toasts that are nice, Whiskey and Honey is a superb flavor.

DrumsAndBeer":c5dc8jcs said:
I have experienced the ammonia scent with several different flavors. I really notice it with citrus scented Toasts and certain SP's. I think it's synonymous with freshness.

If you air it out just a tad it will dissipate. My last tin of McC's Hops was enjoyable right out of the tin.
If I recall correctly, Slide mentioned that as a cause.

gravel":7ut61qmj said:
If I recall correctly, Slide mentioned that as a cause.
Yep. He's one of the only guys I know that purchases snuff in bulk increments. He gave me some samples from his bulk stash and the ammonia was much more pronounced than anything I have experienced from a 5,10 or 25g tin. I would imagine that dividing the product into tins, distribution, etc, allows time for it to dissipate. Where if you get a 250g vacuum sealed bag of a fresh batch of Natural Toast, you're gonna get the ammonia hit.