Latest Re-Stock

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savin LE

Reaction score
Well it's that time of the month again when I order my tobacco  :bounce:  this order usually consists of any tobaccos I normally have in my rotation being re-stocked along with any new blends I haven't tried before  :santa:

This month there are a few new ones I'm looking forward to trying, among these are a couple of tins of McClelland Premium - Tastemaster, a ribbon cut aromatic containing Black Cavendish, Burley & Virginia, a couple tins of Rattray's - Marlin Flake which I am really looking forward to after reading a couple of good reviews about it

Another one I'm curious about is C&D - Bayou Morning Flake, I've had Bayou Morning in bulk form for a while now and have to say I really enjoy it either in the mornings with my coffee or as an all day smoke on the odd occasion.
Normally I prefer flakes but didn't see this in flake form before buying Bayou Morning bulk so this flake will no doubt be one of the first I try when they arrive

Also have more Sutliff - 1M & Cornell & Diehl - Byzantium coming, both of which I enjoy on their own, especially Byzantium, however I've discovered that if I mix approx 2 parts 1M and 1 part Byzantium, I get something like an "English aromatic?". I'm still refining the mix to suit my taste so the amounts are approximate still...I'd be interested in hearing back from anyone else who has tried this one.

One blend I have here which I'm just not getting along with is Cornell & Diehl - Atlas Balkan, despite liking latakia I just can't get my head around this one....if anyone wants it just drop me a pm and I'll send it on as I really can't see me smoking the rest of it  :no: ...

Good haul. Marlin Flake is one of my favorites! Enjoy your loot!

Thanks Nate,
I surely will buddy, there are a couple of others I didn't take the time to list which are mainly re-stocks anyway

Really looking forward to the Marlin Flake for sure, I read a couple of reviews on it including what's on TobaccoReviews.com which is pretty much all good

I'll post a review on there when I get a ways into it no doubt ;-)

Noticed I'm exploring a lot more straight Virginia blends too so I can see a few different VA flakes coming through the post box quite soon

Savin LE":odegvuaw said:
Noticed I'm exploring a lot more straight Virginia blends too so I can see a few different VA flakes coming through the post box quite soon
Savin,

If you've not found them already have a sniff at Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and their Best Brown Flake. Both absolute belters. (IMHO of course).

Stick":6yavjx6l said:
Savin LE":6yavjx6l said:
Savin,

If you've not found them already have a sniff at Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and their Best Brown Flake.  Both absolute belters. (IMHO of course).
Second. And St. James Flake

Old Nate":yk7u9vgc said:
Stick":yk7u9vgc said:
Savin LE":yk7u9vgc said:
Savin,

If you've not found them already have a sniff at Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and their Best Brown Flake.  Both absolute belters. (IMHO of course).
Second. And St. James Flake
100% Nate, you know that this is one of my all time favourites! We've espoused the virtues of this blend together in the past I'm sure.

Savin - SJF has a pinch of perique in it too. Absolutely splendid old chap.

Good day gents,
Hope alls well with you
Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't got around to FVF as yet but St James is a favourite for sure!. I have a bowlful of St James Plug sitting in front of me right now infact
Have to say though, while I'm more familiar with the flake, or at least I encountered it before the plug, the plug is very, very, very nice indeed!.....I think I enjoy it more

Best Brown, is sold as an aromatic, I can't remember for the life of me right now but ive had a "Brown" flake before but from Gawith Hoggarth and it was (aromatic), one was topped with vanilla and there's a liquorice one too, is this likely to be the same flake do you think?
GQ have BBF & FVF Offcuts too, i wouldn't know which was which lol

This morning I've been enjoying Demerara Flake and the St J Plug

Sorry, I'm posting from my phone & can't see an edit option?
just read it back I see I've stated BBF is sold as an aromatic lol
What it's meant to say is a question asking IF it's sold as an aro by GH, sorry bout that

Where are you from Savin? I'm just East of Edinburgh in Tranent.

I'm down the A1 past Dunbar from you, between Cockburnspath & Dunbar...nearer Cockburnspath though

Almost mate, do you know Dunglass?
Right before the roundabout there's a bridge aye?, I'm on the other side of the bridge from Cove ?

Beautiful wee spot Cove though, I don't mind a walk down to Cove harbour with the dogs
There's the John Muir walk along the coast to Dunbar as well which is a good stretch

Passed your way plenty times before but never been there, it can only be a half hours drive away from me.

I got some Demerara Flake a couple of weeks ago, lovely stuff and you can't go wrong with SG FVF BBF Offcuts.

allyby":4h8sfxzg said:
Passed your way plenty times before but never been there, it can only be a half hours drive away from me.

I got some Demerara Flake a couple of weeks ago, lovely stuff and you can't go wrong with SG FVF BBF Offcuts.
Yes, great shout Ally.

Savin, check out GQ Tobaccos (eg). The SG FVF BBF Offcuts are exactly as you'd expect. It's the rough bits left over after slicing the flakes, mixed together to form a cheaper version. Although SG sell it buy the tin, you can also buy the BBF loose from GQ also (again, eg).

If you're rather enjoying straight ginnys, I doubt you'll be disappointed with either old chap.

Savin LE":crltc6c1 said:
What it's meant to say is a question asking IF it's sold as an aro by GH, sorry bout that
Mm, not sure mate.

GQ are listing a GH Best Brown No2 as a Va and Burley mix with a few toppings. I wonder if that's what you mean? Either way, I have no experience of it...

allyby":7qxp7ylt said:

There that's better!, I'm in the house using the laptop now so things look a bit better :bounce:, miserable weather out, water running down the road etc,

I have to stay I've stayed in worse places, not too far removed from civilisation but far enough away at the same time  :suspect:

Aye, the Demerara Flake, I fired up a bowl to smoke while I'm on the computer, just around the half-bowl mark now, think it could've done with longer to dry maybe though?. I shredded a 6" flake & left it a couple of hours but it seems to be burning very hot, is that something you've noticed?

Taste is good though, very good, I'm enjoying it, smoking it in a Fred K Tranter 'Pulteney B' pot bowl with a saddle stem. Not hellish easy to rub out but it's from SG so true to form there

Sorry Stick, what I meant but didn't put down in the clearest way at all was, is it possible Gawith Hoggarth - Brown Flake (aromatic) is the same tobacco as Best Brown Flake?
I have tried GH - Brown Flake (aromatic) and GH - Brown Flake (vanilla) which were both good.....

Samuel Gawith - Brown Sugar Flake is one I'm keen to try also but I don't see it on GQ and SmokingPipes.com have sold out so I'll have to keep my eyes open for it, maybe mysmokingshop.co.uk will have it

SG Demerara Flake has to be treated the same way as FVF, dry it, then dry it a bit more before smoking.

FVF Plug can be smoked in a moist state so less prep to deal with and it's a far better smoke.

BTW for those wondering about Demerara Flake, It's the exact same as they sell in tins in the US but it's called SG Brown Sugar Flake.

allyby":pajcbycu said:
SG Demerara Flake has to be treated the same way as FVF, dry it, then dry it a bit more before smoking.

FVF Plug can be smoked in a moist state so less prep to deal with and it's a far better smoke.

BTW for those wondering about Demerara Flake, It's the exact same as they sell in tins in the US but it's called SG Brown Sugar Flake.
Ahah!, I was going to post that I'd found 50g tins of SG Brown Sugar Flake at MySmokingShop but if it's the same stuff then no point in ordering a tin :D

allyby":5xd0rz1a said:

t'was wondering about this myself, so thanks for the intel ally!

:)

Cheers,

RR

Savin LE":vt1zp8l4 said:
Sorry Stick, what I meant but didn't put down in the clearest way at all was, is it possible Gawith Hoggarth - Brown Flake (aromatic) is the same tobacco as Best Brown Flake?
I have tried GH - Brown Flake (aromatic) and GH - Brown Flake (vanilla) which were both good.....
Savin, my understanding is SG BBF is simply FVF that doesn't get as much time in the press. So no, it wouldn't be the same as GH. BBF is also one of my most favourites from Sammy G's and seems to not be as fussy about prep as FVF, although it still needs drying.

HTH

Cheers,

RR