Leafy Bulldog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
A few of you have asked to see my work, so I figured I'd post my latest. I just finished this one up this afternoon. This will be my entry into the GKCPC 2012 Pipe Carvers Contest. The requirements were anything that basically resembled a bulldog. I had this concept in mind and am really happy with how it turned out. I've still a tweak or two, a few marks to remove and so on, but it's basically done.

I'm curious, does this design already exist? If not, what do you think I should call it?

IMG3269-L.jpg

IMG3261-L.jpg

IMG3268-L.jpg

IMG3260-L.jpg

IMG3262-L.jpg

IMG3270-L.jpg

IMG3267-L.jpg

IMG3272-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Brian.

No. This is not a Bulldog. It should not be sent in for a contest.

It should be sent to me for Testing and Certification. :mrgreen:

Seriously now -
Nice job! Quite unique - in a good way. Gotta have one... 8)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Considering the love I just fell in when I saw that pipe, "Eff Me," would be an appropriate name, since that's what I said when I saw it and slumped into my chair in disbelief.

I have never seen a piece like that before, and it combines two shapes I enjoy quite a bit: whale-like characteristics mixed with the venerable bulldog, in a perfect shape and balance, complimented by brilliant briar wood grain.

I'm going to have dreams about this one. Henceforth the shape I shall call "The Bullwhale." 8) (..."bulls" are what male whales are really called, too!)

OH MAN!!! An ORIGINAL GROWLDOG!!!! Probably THE rarest pipe in the world !! I've only seen one of 'em :p Seriously, THAT has to be one of the most ORIGINAL interpretations of that shape I have EVER seen! I have a once in a lifetime carving contest in my house so you need to just send it to my contest straight away :p :p

The grain is beautiful, the shape is quite unique, overall it is quite a pleasing pipe. I would be proud to own a beauty like that one. Best of luck on your entry.

It's original, well executed, and very good looking. I like how you integrate the stem in the overall design of the pipe. The button seems flared, too. Great job. I wish you the best of luck in the contest.

It's gorgeous, whatever you call it!
I love bulldogs, and that one is unique, and very attractive.
Well done!

It is a beautiful pipe. I like the suggested “bullwhale” name. Really like the grain and colour you have captured in that piece.

Wow! :cyclops: Every angle of that pipe is a surprise and delight. Well done, sir.

The BullWhale name sounds reasonable.

Whatever name you choose that is one gorgeous looking pipe.

Good luck with the competition - I would be amazed if anyone can beat that.

Chris

CygnusXII":rewkgr2x said:
I knew this pipe reminded me of one I had seen before. The Ramses Drop http://www.downiepipes.com/s73.html

This Bulldog is one fine piece of work. I really like the stem and shank design.
Thanks for the compliment! Yes, there definitely are some similarities to the Ramses, especially the stem integration. I've made two ramses, they're my favorite shape. Tom Eltang makes an absolutely beautiful one,...one that looks less like a toilet :lol:

The main thing that would separate the two, is the angle of the bowl. The ramses angle is so steep it's basically an Oom Paul, while the angle of this is more standard to a bent billiard or bull dog.

chris":zrbro3tr said:
The BullWhale name sounds reasonable.

Whatever name you choose that is one gorgeous looking pipe.

Good luck with the competition - I would be amazed if anyone can beat that.

Chris
Thanks Chris! I with I were as confident in winning. The hard part will be, if I do win, it goes in as part of a 7 day set and I will share the proceeds of the raffle money with the 6 other winners. What if my take is only like $50 bucks? :confused: I think that would make me a little sick.

George Kaplan":xywx4m90 said:
Wow! :cyclops: Every angle of that pipe is a surprise and delight. Well done, sir.
Thanks George! Hey, I grew up near KZoo. Was born and raised in Jackson.

kieveryuu":u2zvryt1 said:
It is a beautiful pipe. I like the suggested “bullwhale” name. Really like the grain and colour you have captured in that piece.
Thanks kieveryuu. I wish I could say I grew the grain that way, but I can't take credit for that. ;) The color turned much better than I thought. When I put what I thought would be the last coat, it turned out like a salmon pink. :shock: So, I had to sand it down and go again til I got the color I was looking for. I wanted it to have a rich look.

Thanks again.

Brian.

Harlock999":6nmgylu5 said:
It's gorgeous, whatever you call it!
I love bulldogs, and that one is unique, and very attractive.
Well done!
Thanks Harlock999. I appreciate the compliment. Bent Bulldogs, or Danish are definitely one of my favorite shapes, but oddly enough, I don't own one. I need to make one for myself someday.

Wet Dottle":4fl483f9 said:
It's original, well executed, and very good looking. I like how you integrate the stem in the overall design of the pipe. The button seems flared, too. Great job. I wish you the best of luck in the contest.
Thanks. The button is a new shape I'm trying. I find that if I curve it a bit to match the curve of the inside of your teeth it can be very comfortable to clench. I've only made one other this way, but for me at least with the way I clench, it's very comfortable. If you think about it, retainers aren't flat, they're rounded to snug up to the inside of your teeth. Makes sense to me anyway.

The problem is though, Everybody holds their pipes differently in their mouths, so it will never be something everybody will like.

Kyle Weiss":wtbfft8y said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Considering the love I just fell in when I saw that pipe, "Eff Me," would be an appropriate name, since that's what I said when I saw it and slumped into my chair in disbelief.

I have never seen a piece like that before, and it combines two shapes I enjoy quite a bit: whale-like characteristics mixed with the venerable bulldog, in a perfect shape and balance, complimented by brilliant briar wood grain.

I'm going to have dreams about this one. Henceforth the shape I shall call "The Bullwhale." 8) (..."bulls" are what male whales are really called, too!)
:lol!: Your response cracked me up. It's funny you said you were going to dream about it. :x When I'm trying a new shape, it's all I can think about some times, and I do literally dream about them. It's like my mind keeps working on the build and moves forward even when I'm asleep. It can be quite annoying sometimes.

Thanks for the great compliment!

Brian.

monbla256":t5xr6lfo said:
OH MAN!!! An ORIGINAL GROWLDOG!!!! Probably THE rarest pipe in the world !! I've only seen one of 'em :p Seriously, THAT has to be one of the most ORIGINAL interpretations of that shape I have EVER seen! I have a once in a lifetime carving contest in my house so you need to just send it to my contest straight away :p :p
Ok, so what are my chances of winning, and how awesome is the prize?

Brian.

Growley said:
monbla256":irazeunz said:
Ok, so what are my chances of winning, and how awesome is the prize?

Brian.
You have to ask? Well, first, you will win a lovely GENUINE Rayon/Dacron Satin Blue Ribbon with velcro back and accessory piece to attach to your refrigerator door so you can stick it up for all to see. Then we will provide you 2 5x7 B&W photos ( we will furnish a nice black 8x10 certificate frame w/matt for one from the in-stock Chinese made frames furnished by BoB's Frame House here in town to allow you to frame one ) of your pipe being held by Harvey, our 6' Pookah who is our head judge ( The Mad Hatter, Alice and The Jaberwocky are the others) [see the movie "Harvey" w/ Jimmy Stewart to see Harvey]. Then your winning pipe will be sent to our friends at the famous Yin/Yang Pipe factory in China to be made into their "Pipe of the Century, part II, out of the famous Bing Bang faux briar with "Vulclead" bit. We will provide inappropriate promotional photos for you to use on Facebook and Twitter to advertise the pipe ( they have some cute little girls for these photos at the factory :p ) The head of Marketing at the factory feels that your pipe could probably sell in the 1 to 2 million units area with appropriate marketing and you would reap a nice .02% of each units price (net of course :p ) . Pretty good deal, huh? :p :p