Leafy Bulldog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a fan of the Bull whale name and she is a beautiful pipe even if she is "upity" :drool: . You have some serious skill my MI/AL freind.

From a strange ohio bird

BuckeyeBoy34":jny6z9w0 said:
I am a fan of the Bull whale name and she is a beautiful pipe even if she is "upity" :drool: . You have some serious skill my MI/AL freind.

From a strange ohio bird
Hey, I lived in OH for about 5 years as well, in a little town called Cedarville, near Springfield, near Dayton. Yes, it's that small that I've got to list two other "near by's" just to get you close.

I'd buy that in 2 seconds. I love it just like it is. As I looked at it I wondered (if you ever carve this shape again), what if the top of the shank was scalloped a bit, leaving a center "hump" along the top of the shank? I can see it perfectly in my mind and as I sketched it, it began to feel like the underside of a lobster tail. The center is a convex hump along the length of the shape, while the edges fan out a bit.

Sorry if that's confusing.

jlgarc10.jpg

ArleighBerg":ubs6ibj6 said:
I'd buy that in 2 seconds. I love it just like it is. As I looked at it I wondered (if you ever carve this shape again), what if the top of the shank was scalloped a bit, leaving a center "hump" along the top of the shank? I can see it perfectly in my mind and as I sketched it, it began to feel like the underside of a lobster tail. The center is a convex hump along the length of the shape, while the edges fan out a bit.

Sorry if that's confusing.

jlgarc10.jpg
Wow, that drawing is fantastic...much better than the stick figure I drew up in coming up with the design. Are you a graphic designer? Wanna design all my pipes? :lol: If I had that drawing when I was making this it would have been much nicer.

I totally get where you're going with the hump too. I might have to try it on one and see how I like it. It would significantly add to the carving requirements though.

I'm definitely not quite finished with the shape. I've got a few more tweaks I might make in the next gen so to speak.

You might get a chance to buy it...and I'll give you more than 2 seconds! If it doesn't win, or sell at the pipe show, it gets shipped back to me. I'd love to keep it, but sales = more briar = more pipes!

Thanks for honoring me with this fantastic drawing!

Brian.

Now putting that convex scallop on that pipe would take it from Fantastic, to phenomenal. That would make for a nice pair of pipes, a BullWhale Convex Scallop, and a BullWhale Concave Scallop. I would buy a pair of those myself. while the distinction would be small, it is enough to make it aesthetically pleasing to the eye as a set. I think that shape is unique enough to catch on and be copied, like the Blowfish was.

I think I've finally settled on a name. Initially it reminded me of a cross between a leaf and a bulldog, but now I'm seeing that it looks more like a cross between a Eskimo and a Rhodesian. I was talking with Rad Davis and he mentioned "Eskidesian" and it stuck with me.

So, Eskidesian it is!