Let's see some fish

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Salmon River in NY, fall 2013

11583922-standard_zpsfd7da76a.jpg
" />

I haven't fished that river in a long time and really enjoyed the steelhead run in the late fall. What a great fishery that place is.

Wow,
That must've been a battle for sure. Probably towed the boat for a while.  :D 

Now that fish deserves some bragging rights.  :cheers: :cheers:

Or should I say the fisherman??? LOL

That wasn't even the biggest Fish! It was the biggest Dorado of the trip though, and was my first Dorado on my first day of my first trip down there. About an hour later I landed a Pacific Sailfish that went well over 100 pounds. One buddy landed a Marlin that was close to 200 pounds. We released everything but the Dorado, which were delicious  8) 

Puff Daddy":3vaav0s1 said:
We released everything but the Dorado, which were delicious  8) 
Fantastic, I was going to ask if you ate that monster. I can only imagine how delicious it was.
You had one hell of a day on the water for sure.
 :D 

One of the guys I went down there with had a house. His family had been leasing it year round for a couple of decades, they all took turns going down at different times of the year. It was about half a mile from the port at Loreto, BCS, we fished there a couple weeks at a time in July a few years in a row until a hurricane wiped out the house a few years back. We would drive down (24 hour non stop drive from here) with an empty freezer in the back of the truck and park the truck in the garage when we got there, load some ice blocks into the bottom of the freezer and plug it in. We would filet the Dorado every day and put what we didn't eat or share with the neighbors into the freezer. When it was time to drive back home we duck taped the freezer closed and drove back home with enough fish for our familes and friends to enjoy for quite a long time.

The Mexicans at the many road blocks on the Baja highway only wanted a quick peek into the freezer (usually after a big smile from us, and an offer of an ice cold soda or beer, and a little cigar) and we'd be on our way. The border guards in the US were pretty rough, assuming we were bad characters because of the sealed chest, and worthy of a lengthy inspection. Except for one time, when we drove up to the border guard who was clearly very tired from a long day. He lowered his sunglasses, peered at the chest with bloodshot eyes and asked "Do I want to know what's in there?" My buddy who was driving looked at him, lowered his sunglasses and just said "No".  :|  The border guard didn't say a word and waved us through.

Great catch PD! Most Dorado are about half that size or smaller!

We used to fish in the Sea of Cortez every year. Back in the '70s it was unbelievably good fishing. The estuaries around Puerto Peñasco would be teeming with fish as the tide came in. You'd catch something just about every cast when conditions were good. Yellowtail, Dorado, and even the occasional Stingray if you were fishing with bait on the bottom. The last time we went was in the early '90s and I didn't catch one thing in four days. Complete skunk. Pollution and commercial fishing wiped everything out. Sad.

We were skipping very large baitfish on the surface over submerged reefs near Isla Carmen. The pelagics seem to congregate over these reefs, which are surrounded by some pretty deep water, and the fishing is very good. But, you have to have good timing as these fish (Dorado, Marlin, Sailfish, Wahoo, Yellowtail) move around a lot. They are somewhat predictable as far as certain regions at certain times of the year, but even when you do everything right you're still at the mercy of the quirks of these species.

I was at the Salmon River in fall of 2013 too!

2d1366e4339d11e3990622000aeb0f14_8.jpg

1169348_219253134909622_60858966_n.jpg

And I also ran in to this dangerous fellow recently

10011456_534196896693051_286167924_n.jpg

Would love to go after some much larger warmer water fish!

My biggest was a 75.7 pound Amberjack that I speared at about 130' on the Louisiana oil rigs.  
(I know a bunch of divers that shot AJs over 100 pounds, so not that big a deal.)
aj751110.jpg

Hermit":r7a6pzyp said:
My biggest was a 75.7 pound Amberjack that I speared at about 130' on the Louisiana oil rigs.  
(I know a bunch of divers that shot AJs over 100 pounds, so not that big a deal.)
aj751110.jpg
Now that's a damn fish. You musta had to bathe in the outhouse for a week after that picture. Trying to imagine what it's like to be elbow deep in some gills.

gnossos":8jthgyxc said:
I was at the Salmon River in fall of 2013 too!
You must have had your hands full using a fly rod. I have enough trouble using heavy tackle.

Those are some amazing salt water fish gents.
Here are a couple large mouth bass from mid coast Maine. No comparison to your monsters but still a ball to catch.

PB290047.JPG

This was the drum I caught camping on the Outer Banks in NC.   Borrowed my brother-in-laws rod/reel.   Waiting for the new Cabalas to open in Garner soon to pick my own gear.   I only like 2 hours from the beach so I plan on doing a lot of surf casting this year.