Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutch,

That is one gorgeous straight grain.  I have never seen a Moretti with a horn bit.  For that matter, yours is the first bamboo Moretti that I've seen, too.  I did not start following Morettis until Tony started offering those Moretti war clubs for sale.  He makes a lot great chubby pipes, too.  Congratulations on a couple of great catches.

I have always wondered about bamboo shanks. Do they smoke any differently than briar shanks? Are they hotter, cooler? Do they impart any different flavor to the smoke than briar? You seem to be the guy to ask.

ExcessEnergy":cppb9dw2 said:
Dutch,

That is one gorgeous straight grain.  I have never seen a Moretti with a horn bit.  For that matter, yours is the first bamboo Moretti that I've seen, too.  I did not start following Morettis until Tony started offering those Moretti war clubs for sale.  He makes a lot great chubby pipes, too.  Congratulations on a couple of great catches.

I have always wondered about bamboo shanks.  Do they smoke any differently than briar shanks?  Are they hotter, cooler?  Do they impart any different flavor to the smoke than briar?  You seem to be the guy to ask.
Jeff, thanks so much for the feedback.

As for hotter, cooler, or more flavorful, I can't really tell any difference with a bamboo shank. My guess is that the shank is too far behind the bowl to noticeably affect the taste of the tobacco.

I had never purchased a bamboo shanked pipe until I scored one of Riccardo Santia's bamboo shanked cobs. It is probably the driest smoking pipe I own, and I believe the bamboo is largely responsible. I know some folks hate the looks of bamboo, but I actually like the primitive look myself, especially on a cob. In addition, some artisan carvers have done some amazing things with bamboo.

The real reason I favor bamboo though, is it is an excellent example of form follows function.

A couple recent acquisitions. The billiard weighs in at 51grams, and the Noir comes in at 47 grams. I am particularly anxious to break in the bamboo shanked Noir.

I was extremely excited to score this little short chubby chimney nosewarmer today. Weighing in at 57 grams and only 4 inches long......

Managed to score another chubby yesterday. I love these little nosewarmers, as they clench much lighter than they weigh. This one weighs in at 69 grams, and is only 4 inches long.

I managed to score another chubby chimney nosewarmer, this one weighing in at 51 grams, 3.6 inches long, and 2.4 inches high. These babies are the cat's meow for burning Lat blends.....

I think my first morta will be a Moretti.

Now I'd I can just stop buying tobacco for a while........

DireWolf":k6bns85m said:
I think my first morta will be a Moretti.

Now I'd I can just stop buying tobacco for a while........
Wolf, I have bid on several of Marco's morta's, but haven't scored one yet. The winning bids on those are usually around $200 and sometimes more.

Be aware, when you buy outside the country, and the value of the item is over a certain amount, you will have to pay some extra tax. For instance, when I win one of Marco's pipes and my total is around $200, I usually get a bill from FedEx for around $13. This is one reason you see some of the bidders lose interest once the price gets around $160. I figure if I am spending a couple hundred bucks anyhow, $13 isn't much of an issue, but I thought I would mention it since I was a bit confused the first time I experienced it.

I'm not exactly sure where the breaking point is, but I think it is around $175, and it's a challenge to win one of Marco's morta's for less than that.

I'm usually not real fond of bent shapes, but this one really caught my eye, so I pulled the trigger. She weighs in at 76 grams, but hopefully the bent stem will help offset some of the weight......

I like the "Chubby Chimney", I might even smoke that one.........
when I have nothing but, time on my hands ;)

dutch, that`s a fine collection of moretti`s! i have to get one, i`ve heard so much good about their smoking qualities. bill

pipetrepid":5910uhjv said:
dutch, that`s a fine collection of moretti`s! i have to get one, i`ve heard so much good about their smoking qualities. bill
Bill, typically I am not really an easy person to please, especially when it comes to buying something hand crafted. I've been buying pipes from Marco for around 5 years now, and he has never disappointed me in any way.

His one on one customer service is second to none. When you send an email to Pipe Moretti, you always get a response from Marco, not a representative. I assume he must really love being a pipe carver, because it seems he really wears a lot of different hats at Pipe Moretti.

Yeah, his pipes are great, but so are a lot of carvers pipes. It's Marco's personal service that really makes buying his pipes special. You get a great hand made Italian pipe, straight from the carver with no middle man, for not a whole lot more money than some mass produced pipes cost.

Every time I get a package in the mail from Marco, I am always smiling from ear to ear! :D

Just scored another little sandblasted bamboo. This one a billiard, weighing in at 37 grams......

Dutch":cpkdjfe7 said:
I'm usually not real fond of bent shapes, but this one really caught my eye, so I pulled the trigger. She weighs in at 76 grams, but hopefully the bent stem will help offset some of the weight......

Be still my heart. That is a fantastic pipe congrats!!!

:cheers:

Finally found a Moretti Rhodesian in my mail, this thing is huge. The outside diameter of the bowl is 2-7/8" wide and is 2-1/2" high and 6 inches long, the 7/8" chamber is lost within the mass of the bowl. At first glance I thought it to be a 3/4" chamber till I measured it. This is not a clencher unless you have a true iron jaw and NO dentures, it weighed in at 6 ounces on my double beam scale.

Jeez Ron, that bowl is a monster! :shock: 

Quite attractive though. The smooth/polished rim top in the first pic almost makes it look like marble.

So are you gonna smoke it?

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ijig1xpc said:
Jeez Ron, that bowl is a monster! :shock: 

Quite attractive though. The smooth/polished rim top in the first pic almost makes it look like marble.

So are you gonna smoke it?

Cheers,

RR
Trust me, it didn't look that good when I got it even though it's an Unsmoked estate.
Unsure if I want to tackle something that large just yet , I already have arthritis in both thumbs and index fingers.
It'll certainly demand my attention if I was to smoke it.

Just took delivery of my very first Moretti today, courtesy of a mad bomber!

Leftside-full1-300x225.jpg

This pic is off the 'net as I don't own a digital camera, but appears to be the very pipe.

It's everything I love - bent, large bowl capacity, thick walls, flame grain, flawless stem work. Has a great feel in the hand and is quite lightweight despite its size. Just begs to be stuffed with ginnyweed or a VaPer.

This will surely find it's way into my regular rotation. And my sincere gratitude to the mad bomber!

:sunny: 

Cheers,

RR