Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New one to share today, brothers -- a Moretti magnum full bent. Stem fit is perfect, passes a cleaner effortlessly, no pits, and lots of nice straight grain. There is a natural dark spot in the grain near the rim (you can see it in the picture), but other than that it is immaculate. Another fine job by Marco. Now to work building up some cake  :D 

img_0910.jpg

That is a very handsome pipe.  As you know, my two Morettis are long, huge and rusticated, but I started looking at shorter ones with beautiful briar like yours in part because of the impact of the short Polinskis, because a lot of the Morettis that have come up for sale closely resemble the Polinskis' configuration.  Of course, they generally come a little more dear because Moretti is much more established in the market.  On the other hand, they are probably better pipes because Moretti and now Marco have never let anything go out that did not meet their standards.  In any case, that fiammatta briar looks first rate and I'll bet it smokes well, too.  Congratulations!

Thanks, EE. I do see some parallels between Polinskis and Morettis, especially, as you noted, in the aesthetics (stout, short shapes). The biggest difference I see is in the stem work. Polinski uses vulcanite, whereas Moretti uses acrylic. Also, two of my Polinskis have a small gap between the stem and shank, but none of my 6 Morettis do. Polinski stems also seem longer than Moretti stems.

Really getting down to details now. They're both outstanding values.

Pipe'n Prof":1gmi0py8 said:
Thanks, EE. I do see some parallels between Polinskis and Morettis, especially, as you noted, in the aesthetics (stout, short shapes). The biggest difference I see is in the stem work. Polinski uses vulcanite, whereas Moretti uses acrylic. Also, two of my Polinskis have a small gap between the stem and shank, but none of my 6 Morettis do. Polinski stems also seem longer than Moretti stems.

Really getting down to details now. They're both outstanding values.  
Hmmm all 5 of my Polinskis have acrylic stems.

Really? I feel like my 4 polinskis are all vulcanite. The stems seem softer and seem to be dulling with age. I just assume they are vulcanite because they feel different and are acting differently than my acrylic stem pipes

Your post got me to thinking so I checked the eBay auctions. All the polinski pipes are listed as having ebonite stems, which is a synonym for vulcanite, a hardened rubber. At least according to their eBay listings, they are not acrylic.

Pipe'n Prof":mq257jrz said:
Your post got me to thinking so I checked the eBay auctions. All the polinski pipes are listed as having ebonite stems, which is a synonym for vulcanite, a hardened rubber. At least according to their eBay listings, they are not acrylic.
I have 7 Polinskis and have never had one oxidize at all like some of my vulcanite stems on other pipes.

I checked on Polinskis actual site to see what he himself quotes as to what he uses and this is the what it says on his own website.

"Our stems are made of the finest acrylic material in various colors with 9mm filters or with no filter at all."

I think Roman (who sells his pipes on ebay has them listed as ebonite).

Hmm...well based on my experience, and the conflicting stem descriptions from eBay and polinski's web site, I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. All of my polinski stems are slightly duller and softer than my acrylic stem pipes. Admittedly, the dullness could be from insufficient initial polishing. But they were not that way when I purchased them and one is now highly contrasted under the area where the softy bit was. In my experience this does not happen to an acrylic stem.

Pipe'n Prof":fpvpmatq said:
Hmm...well based on my experience, and the conflicting stem descriptions from eBay and polinski's web site, I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. All of my polinski stems are slightly duller and softer than my acrylic stem pipes. Admittedly, the dullness could be from insufficient initial polishing. But they were not that way when I purchased them and one is now highly contrasted under the area where the softy bit was. In my experience this does not happen to an acrylic stem.  
Just had a gander at his website and on the production page he has the stem material listed as: para kauczukowy bezfiltrowy

The best translation I could find was: pair of rubber bezfiltrowy (has to mean Ebonite - Vulcanite)

On this page: http://polinskipipes.com.pl/index.php/o-firmie it states: a plateau with acrylic mouthpieces

I must say I find it a bit confusing figuring that site out with Google Translate, the translation changed a little the second time I hit that page I linked to, weird.

Okay, you fellows are the experts where Polinskis are concerned, but I am certain that this Polinski poker has an acrylic stem, as it is yellow, with a sort of faux amber effect, and, although this picture does not show it, the other side of the stem has the Polinski "P" logo on it, showing that it is an original production stem:

polins13.jpg

And this little, odd-shaped red guy also seems to have an acrylic stem, even though it's black.  Note the carved, repeated indentations around the ball on the stem.  Although I suppose that such indentations could be done with vulcanite, the touch, hardness, and the noise it makes when tapped make it appear that it is acrylic.

polins16.jpg

Although it is harder to tell with the "rock" style bulkier pipes and the brown poker, they all seem to me to be acrylic, too, for the same reasons.  

polins14.jpg

polins15.jpg

However, I have not had mine long enough for any oxidation typical of vulcanite to occur.  Also, I clean my stems pretty often so that oxidation does not happen as much.  When combined with Polinski's statement on his site that the stems are acrylic, my estimation of the situation at present is that they are acrylic, but I am willing to stand corrected, as I have stood there before, all too often.

You don't have to convince me EE. I've always said they were arcylic and when you go to Polinski's own site and click on the UK flag for the English translation it's say's in his own words that he uses the finest arcylic material for his stems. None of the 7 Polinski's I own have vulcunite stems and if the first one I recieved would of I sure wouldn't of kept buying them. To each their own, some like em some don't. It all comes down to personal preference.

Your pipes are beautiful to say the least. I know little about his pipes , will have to look it up.

Lucked out on eBay the other day and got a Moretti smooth morta pipe for less than morta of similar configurations seem to be going for, from Moretti or anyone else.  I would have liked it to be longer, of course (see my other two Morettis, above), but because it has such thick walls because Carlo likes the chamber to be a certain dimension and no more, I was hopeful that the cooling effect of the thick bowl would be similar to that of the massive T. Polinski pipes shown above and discussed by everyone in the "Let's See Your Polinskis" thread.  So, that was my rationale (that, and I could not resist having a pipe made of wood that is 6-10,000 years old; however, in view of the relative lightness of the morta from which this one is made, it is probably on the younger end of that scale [though, as always, I defer to the brothers more knowledgeable than I about morta, as I did not even know the stuff existed a few months ago]).  So, anyway, here are Marco's pictures of the pipe that just arrived this afternoon:

morett10.jpg

morett11.jpg

morett12.jpg

morett13.jpg

morett14.jpg

morett15.jpg

morett16.jpg

morett17.jpg
  And here it is, being broken in with Deep Hollow (I couldn't wait, after all!):

photo_10.jpg

Turns out I had let the Deep Hollow get a little dry, so it burned kind of hot (at least, that's what I'm telling myself until I can try it with some properly humidified Harbor Island, my current default tobacco for cool puffing). But it still more resembles a meerschaum in its effect than a briar. It will take a little more testing with different blends to see if the heat is due to short shank, dry tobaccy, or just a characteristic of the morta . . . or maybe because I was pounding it in my enthusiasm.

I should add that if this one works out, and if some more legal fees come in, I will see what Todd Harris will charge me for a Canadian Morta like that beautiful one he made for Cajun. I know that the ones with the silver and ivory were more classy and all that, and very beautiful, but Cajun's had the longer stem, which means a cooler smoke, and that's my default choice.

Happy puffing, guys!

Those are some gorgeous Moretti's you guys have scored since I have been offline. Congrats on making some fine additions to your collections! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

On a side note, I bet if one of you guys contacted Marco, he could tell you for certain what kind of stems Polinski pipes are fitted with!  :lol!: 

Here is a little smooth billiard I scored today, that weighs in at 27 grams. It is my 29th Moretti, and my first with a horn stem.

I talked to Marco today by email, and he never ceases to amaze me with his quick response and attention to detail. I wish all ebay sellers were such a pleasure to do business with.

Enough typing, here's the eye candy.........

I know, I know, but I could have an addiction to things much worse. I was a sucker for the bamboo, and the 31 gram weight on this one....