Let's see those Rolexes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you really want to go for accuracy in a wristwatch, I have a Casio G Shock GW3000 that automatically calibrates itself to the atomic clock in Colorado every night. Has an atomic reciever that picks up the signal at roughly midnight, and resets itself to the second. It also runs on solar power, so it's kind of the ultimate watch. I beat the hell out of it daily at work :lol:

Puff Daddy":y22l4ct1 said:
Well, if you really want to go for accuracy in a wristwatch, I have a Casio G Shock GW3000 that automatically calibrates itself to the atomic clock in Colorado every night. Has an atomic reciever that picks up the signal at roughly midnight, and resets itself to the second. It also runs on solar power, so it's kind of the ultimate watch. I beat the hell out of it daily at work :lol:
You really cannot beat almost ANY modern, Asian quartz watch made today for dollar value in a watch that's for sure :p I wear a Citizen EccoDrive Worldtimer most days. Solid SS, solid back ( movement removes from the front) solid SS bracelet and gives me two time zones ( I keep it set to Pacific Time as my daughter lives in Seattle) and is MORE than enough accurate for my daily needs.

ecowrist.jpg

Great watches, great discussion and great arm hair...but who is the final arbitrator of the correct time?

Bub":kubfxmbz said:
Great watches, great discussion and great arm hair...but who is the final arbitrator of the correct time?
Harold :twisted:

Puff Daddy":gtroqnhu said:
I agree totally on the G Shock. Several years ago I decided to buy my last watch ever. I'm rough on watches. I seem to knock them around a good bit. I finally got tired of replacing things...including batteries. I did Google search for "world's toughest watch", and the G Shock kept coming up.

I got the one Puff Daddy described with the calibration and solar power. So far, no need to replace it.

I'll admit, there are much more handsome watches out there, and many I'd drool over. But, I could see this G Shock actually being my last watch.... Only time will tell.

But, since this is a Rolex thread, here's a pic of a Rolex I like. ;)

rolex_image.902361.jpg

A Tiffany Daytona, a rare watch ! Nice :p This is one I'd like to find some day. It was a fave of many chopper pilots back in "Nam:

B179_Glycine_41.jpg

As far as precision, Bulova claims to have the most precise quartz (battery powered) watch on the market: Bulova Precisionist

In as far as the precision of automatics, most movements have a rating of +/- 10 secs per day. Most of my pieces are powered by an ETA 2824 (swiss movement). The pieces I own are fairly accurate. The ETA 2824 is the "work horse" of watch movements and is utilized by most watch companies as the base engine and then altered to their specifications. Some companies (Rolex, Breitling) make their own movements. If you ever purchase an automatic, remember that there is a break in period (approx 30 days) of use before the movement settles in and you can check its accuracy. If it is way out of whack, you can have it adjusted.

Be aware that the Swatch Watch Group owns the majority of watch companies and watch movements. They are limiting the production and sale of ETA movements. A lot of companies are switching to the Citizen owned/produced Miyota 9015 (equivalent to ETA 2824) as the base engine. A lot of compaines are using Chinese made movements (Seagull) as well.

Just remember that "Swiss Made" is a standard that is almost misleading. The watch must have 51% parts made and assembled in Switzerland, but can be assembled in other countries (aka China). I posted some info below from one of the watch frums I belong to because it gets really confusing.

Information found at;

[url=http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php#2.Information]http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php#2.Information[/url] from

Legally speaking

Conditions for use Case
A Swiss watch "Swiss Quartz"
indication
A Swiss watch movement "Swiss parts" indication
Material extent of the use of
the word "Swiss" Role of the FH
Wristlet

Conditions for use

A Swiss
watch

Only when it is Swiss, may a watch
carry the indications "Swiss made" or "Swiss", or any
other expression containing the word "Swiss" or its
translation, on the outside. According to Section 1a OSM, a watch is considered
to be Swiss if:

its movement is Swiss;
its movement is cased up in Switzerland;
and
the manufacturer carries out the final inspection in Switzerland.
A Swiss watch movement

As we have seen, to be Swiss, a watch must use a Swiss movement. According to Section 2 OSM, a movement is
considered to be Swiss if:

it has been
assembled in Switzerland;
it has been inspected by the manufacturer in
Switzerland; and
the components of Swiss
manufacture account for at least 50 percent of the total value, without taking
into account the cost of assembly.
If the movement fulfills these conditions,
but the watch is not assembled in Switzerland, the "Swiss" indication may be affixed to one of the components
of the movement. On the outside of the watch, may then only appear the
"mouvement suisse" or "Swiss movement" indication.
Section 3 § 3 OSM requires that the word "movement" appear in full, and be
written in the same type-face, of identical size and colour, as the word "Swiss".

right wrong

Material extent
of the use of the word "Swiss"

The word
"use" is understood in a broad sense: it not only covers the application of the
above-mentioned designation to the watch, but also, according to Section 3 § 5
OSM:

the sale, offering for sale or putting into circulation of watches
bearing such an indication;
the application of this designation to signs,
advertisements, prospectus, invoices, letters or commercial
papers.
Particular cases

Wristlet

The "Swiss made" indication may
only appear on a wristlet if it is of Swiss
manufacture and if the watch is also Swiss. A
wristlet is considered to be Swiss if it has
undergone an essential manufacturing operation in Switzerland and if 50 percent
of the production costs originate in Switzerland.

When a Swiss wristlet is attached to a watch manufactured
abroad, it may only bear a reference to the word "Swiss" if this designation clearly shows that only the
wristlet is of Swiss manufacture (for example,
"Swiss wristlet").

Case

The "Swiss case" indication on a watch case betokens that the
case is of Swiss manufacture. A case is considered
to be Swiss if:

it has undergone an
essential manufacturing operation in Switzerland (stamping, turning, or
polishing);
it has been assembled and inspected in Switzerland; and
over
50 percent of the manufacturing costs (excluding the value of the material) are
due to operations carried out in Switzerland.
When the "Swiss case" indication appears on the outside of the
case, and the watch is of foreign manufacture, the origin of the movement or of
the watch must also be affixed to the outside of the watch.

"Swiss Quartz" indication

This indication is often
illegally affixed to the outside of the watch, especially by foreign
manufacturers wishing to show that the quartz movement used is of Swiss origin. But, according to the OSM, the use of this
indication on the outside of the watch signifies that the watch is Swiss.

"Swiss parts"
indication

This marking indicates that the movement is composed of
movement-blanks which have been manufactured in Switzerland, but assembled
abroad. This indication may only appear on the movement, and never on the
outside of the watch.

No Rolexes here, I'm afraid. But here's my old Seiko Bullhead Chrono, a good and faithful friend through many a good time and many a mishap, including being fished from the bottom of the lake when a strap pin broke on a cast; seeing my watch sail out with the lure was disconcerting. Fortunately my brother-in-law happend to be in the water and saw where it went in, dove down, and recovered it. Bought new in 1970 or so, never been opened up, and still working perfectly...

001_zpsebec8282.jpg

My daily wearer is this Longines Chrono; it dresses up or down equally well...

003_zpsd0538bce.jpg

Wow ! A Bullhead Chrono! One of the best Auto chrono's made! It has the 6138 movement in it which followed on the heels of the world's first auto chrono movements, the 6139! And an original Fishbone bracelet that they came with! I almost bought one when I was in Hong Kong back in '70 but bought a Yellow "Col. Pogue" 6139 Chrono instead :twisted: Both are some NICE,NICE watches :twisted:

monbla256":xuibeztm said:
Wow ! A Bullhead Chrono! One of the best Auto chrono's made! It has the 6138 movement in it which followed on the heels of the world's first auto chrono movements, the 6139! And an original Fishbone bracelet that they came with! I almost bought one when I was in Hong Kong back in '70 but bought a Yellow "Col. Pogue" 6139 Chrono instead :twisted: Both are some NICE,NICE watches :twisted:
Kind of an interesting story about the Seiko. I was a poor grad student and newly married, and my good wife (God love her, and she's still my wife over 40 years later) wanted to buy me a watch. I didn't know squat from watches, so I went to Zales Jewelers and bought a Zales-branded chronograph (have no idea who made it), and it was a piece of sh*t. It was in the shop more than it it was out. Finally I researched the owner of Zales Jewelers, and found out it was Stanley Zales. I wrote him a letter - won't go into the details here - but I recveived a letter back giving me the name of the local manager, and telling me to present the letter and that I was entitled to every penny I'd paid toward whatever watch I wanted. I picked the Seiko. It's been a good choice.

Does that Seiko Bullhead Chrono tilt? Thicker at top than it is at the bottom? If so, I had one of those. I gave my watchnut friend mine. I like the look of it, but geez, the profile is almost SNL skit worthy.

Zeno Marx":2bwqkjpz said:
Does that Seiko Bullhead Chrono tilt? Thicker at top than it is at the bottom? If so, I had one of those. I gave my watchnut friend mine. I like the look of it, but geez, the profile is almost SNL skit worthy.
Big mistake. Shoulda kept it.

Zeno Marx":h85wrdu5 said:
Sure does :p The face tilts toward you when it's on your wrist and is especially nice when driving ! And yes it is a BIG watch, but it was mad e when the style was for BIG watches ! All of seiko's Diver watches were BIG watches as well !! :p

My watch broke but I never replaced it. I don't need to know the time most of the time but when I do there are clocks all over.

180F93DC-068A-43EF-A41A-31F85EC0B748-1313-000002567C15105E_zps2eb0f6b5.jpg
[/img] I have been wearing this for 25 yrs, wear it Hunting , Fishing, working on Tractors, had been in the shop 2 times for tuneup, Love it.

A friend just took this pic of my GMT Master I got back in '69 when I was in 'Nam at the PX on the base in Saigon. Cost me $195.00 at the time. Now they are in the $5k range!! What a difference time makes  :twisted: :twisted: 

Try $9,000 . Comes in 3 or 4 different color variations including your pepsi, but they're all the same watch. Damned fine watch too!

I don't have a Rolex but I love my Longines Lindbergh Hour Angle. It was pretty fun actually figuring out how to use it as it was designed.