Let's talk orientals

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsKot

Reaction score
First off, let me start by saying damn it feels good to be back! Been buys with school mainly and all that fun stuff, but rest assured I haven't forgotten you all or to sit down and have a pipe when I can. Now on to the bulk of this post.

For some time now I've been eying up some Oriental blends, particularly some of the McClelland blends without latakia. Have any of you gents had the pleasure, or even displeasure of trying any of these blends? If so, what are some of the notes and tastes like if you had to equate it to something. Also, a big concern of mine is getting the most out of the leaf itself, I've read many places saying that orientals can be fickle beasts. Most of those comments cite that, like most other tobaccos, can turn into a roaring hellfire if smoked too fast, is this the case? And if so, is it noticeably more prominent as opposed to a good virginia's temperament? I know I should probably just sack up and order me some, but like most of my tobacco endeavors I like to see the boards general consensus on something. Thanks for your time guys, I really appreciate it.

The biggest problem with the question is: What is Oriental?

It's to long a story for me to tell without mucking it up but Oriental has become a generic catch all for any mid-east tobacco (except Latakia, which is technically an oriental) They are grown across several regions, in several varieties, with various curing methods employed. There are generalities though. Orientals are low in nicotine and are very aromatic.
But Basma doesn't taste like Smyrnia which doesn't taste like Yenice. Etc etc. They are more different than the various Virginias (red, yellow, orange) in that they aren't even the same plant.
As far as tongue bite, I've never experienced it in a manner I would blame on Orientals, but they may mess your world up. With regard to bite its more technique and body chemistry instead of sugar content, which is low.

I know that really doesn't answer your question, but your asking a question that really can't be answered correctly.

That's a good point and question Puros, like I said I'm generally looking for recommendations anyone's willing to put forth. So far though the ones that have caught my eye are the Drama Reserve, Smyrna No. 1, and Classic Samsun all of which are found in McClellands Grand orientals series. If anyone has anything to say of any of these blends, or any others please feel free to let me know. I'm open to all comments and, having no experience with any of these tobaccos, am still not even quite sure what to expect. Thanks again guys!

I've dabbled in the McC Grand Orientals series. They're very good tobaccos but also very oriental forward. A bit too much so for my liking. There are two that I would recommend. McC Tudor Castle (Yenidje), also a bit oriental forward but not overwhelminly so, & GLP Embarcadero (Izmir), a superb blend where the leaf is used condimentally.

Drama Reserve and Classic Samsun are both outstanding in my opinion, with the Drama being the best. They are oriental forward to say the least, but if that's what you seek there are no equals...

Also try Pipeworks and Wilkes number 10 - the seminal oriental :)

Awesome, thanks a lot guys! Bus as for the taste and characteristics of the leaf itself, how would you describe it? I do realize everyone's palate is different but as for the pillars and cornerstones of orientals, what marks them as such?

Drama is on the to-do list. Classic Samsun was ok, but my fav thus far is Oriental Silk by C&D. Now..that's turkish which (along with VaPer)...yea not sure where Turkish fits in...whats what in oriental tobacco confuses the hell outta me. :p

Almost forgot - Star of the Orient by C&D is excellent as well...

Sweet and sour is the predominant taste in many, with nutty being more forward in the P&W #10

I actually just made a trade for some of McClelland's Oriental No. 1. It will be my first experience with a predominantly oriental blend. *Fingers crossed*

gandalfpc":xqq6kexp said:
Drama Reserve and Classic Samsun are both outstanding in my opinion, with the Drama being the best. They are oriental forward to say the least, but if that's what you seek there are no equals...

Also try Pipeworks and Wilkes number 10 - the seminal oriental :)
Agreed, Wilke's #10 is unsurpassed IMO as a top notch Oriental forward blend. I have about a pound of it cellared and I tested Greg Pease's statement that Orientals change more rapidly in the 18-24 month period than any other tobacco. I believe his statement to be true! So glad that I aged so much #10 because Carole uses 4 top notch Oriental tobaccos that totally come into their own after a couple years! It's a bit expensive at around 50 bucks a pound, but I haven't smoked an Oriental forward blend better than #10.

-Scott

Dave_In_Philly":b69ottz2 said:
I actually just made a trade for some of McClelland's Oriental No. 1. It will be my first experience with a predominantly oriental blend. *Fingers crossed*
That, along with MC's Arcadia are my two favorite orientals. They also seem to age rather well, not perhaps as well as Virginias, but I notice a definite difference after six or eight years of rest. Fortunately for me, I made some trades a while back and I've got several tins with that kind of age on them. :D

Natch

'Orientals' are my favorite, particularity McCellands Grand Orientals. I have tried all in the line and strongly recommend YENIDJE SUPREME and CLASSIC SAMSUN. DRAMA RESERVE is great but falls a tad sort to the prior, but still a highly superior blend. I made a few folks in our pipe club recently try the Samsun and they were blown away.

On my pallet I describe the body of the two blends as a 'smooth nutty'. No nut in particular, just a handful, almonds, cashews etc (not peanuts though). Another in my pipe club said it reminded him of incense. I don't get the spicy or sour which others tend to describe.

Non of these blends burn hot, not even remotely. I reserve these for my largest of pipes since they are so forgiving and can be enjoyed for long periods of time without becoming overwhelming. The room note is also very pleasant with no left over ashtray smell.

I would imagine that if you are a cigarette or cigar smoker these blends aren't going to do much for you but if you enjoy aromatics and looking to try something uncased then these are your best bet.

Another note - these McCellands smoke fantastic out of the tin. I would imagine that some aging would improve things but not drastically.

Wow! Thanks for all the info, Jacko! This is a lot to take in right now, now I've got quite the decision to make, eh?

Natch":9pzfzejf said:
Dave_In_Philly":9pzfzejf said:
That, along with MC's Arcadia are my two favorite orientals. They also seem to age rather well, not perhaps as well as Virginias, but I notice a definite difference after six or eight years of rest. Fortunately for me, I made some trades a while back and I've got several tins with that kind of age on them. :D

Natch
Natch, perhaps you can put this question to rest once and for all. Does Arcadia have any Latakia or is it just a Va/Oriental blend? I have heard conflicting stories over the years, but have never gotten a definitive answer. Of course I do have two tins from 2005 and I suppose I could open one up one of these days to see for myself :D

-Scott

Scott,

That "argument" has been discussed on numerous pipe boards, and I'm still on the fence myself! I taste the smallest bit of that smokiness in the background, but hey, you're burning something organic inches from your nose, there's bound to me some "smokiness" floating around. If I had to make a decision (which fortunately, I haven't made a single one of those in over 60 years) I'd say no.

But, as I always say when asked my opinion on something, "I'm ignorant...and I have references to prove it."

Natch

Natch":pemxve2i said:
Scott,

That "argument" has been discussed on numerous pipe boards, and I'm still on the fence myself! I taste the smallest bit of that smokiness in the background, but hey, you're burning something organic inches from your nose, there's bound to me some "smokiness" floating around. If I had to make a decision (which fortunately, I haven't made a single one of those in over 60 years) I'd say no.

But, as I always say when asked my opinion on something, "I'm ignorant...and I have references to prove it."

Natch
Thanks for the reply Natch. I have way too many Va tins open right now to even think about cracking the Arcadia. Hopefully, sometime next year I will cave in and crack one. When I do, I will be sure to report back as to whether I personally detect any Latakia. Of course with a 6 year old tin, if there is a small amount of Latakia, it may have faded away anyhow, but we shall see. Thanks again!

-Scott

I love Orientals but can't stand Latakia which by definition is an Oriental. Love the musty, exotic incense-like aromas. Particularly like some Perique with my Orientals. I think they compliment each other nicely. Don't forget Presbyterian Mixture. Great Oriental without Latakia.

Actually Presbyterian does contain Latakia. From the description-

Presbyterian Mixture
Brand: William P. Solomon
Blender: Planta
Tin Description: Extraordinary soft blend of finest US Virginia grades and a number of selected Latakia leaf tips.
Country of Origin: DE
Curing Group: Air Cured
Contents:
Virginia
Latakia
Oriental
Cut: Coarse Cut
Packaging: 50g Tin
Blend Notes: This fine tobacco originally had no name. It was blended before the first World War especially for the Very Rev. Dr. John White, sometime minister of the Barony Kirk in Glasgow and Moderator of the General Assembly in Scotland in 1929. He introduced it to Stanley Baldwin, later Earl Baldwin, Prime Ministerin 1923, 1924 and 1935. He liked it so much that regular supplies were sent down to him and it was he who suggested that it be called "Presbyterian Mixture". As there continues to be controversy over the question of whether Presbyterian Mixture contains Latakia, the following quote from page six of the blender's 2008 catalogue should leave the matter settled: "Extraordinarily soft blend of finest US Virginia grades and a number of selected Latakia leaf tips. Ideal mixture also for beginners with English tobaccos."

Cheers,

RR

SailorJack":v8ol2w4w said:
I love Orientals but can't stand Latakia which by definition is an Oriental. Love the musty, exotic incense-like aromas. Particularly like some Perique with my Orientals. I think they compliment each other nicely. Don't forget Presbyterian Mixture. Great Oriental without Latakia.