Licorice or Anise

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDAVE

Reaction score
This might sound weird but are there any decent tobaccos flavored with licorice or anise? :confused:

Yea, Esoterica's Blackpool...their Ramsgate is a bit more asnise-ey.

There's also Blenheim from C&D if you want a stronger anise, and one that is coupled with latakia. I would warn that this last one may ghost so you may want to try it in a cob at first. It's the kind of thing you'd have to dedicate a pipe to.

H&H Classic Burley Kake is supposed to have some anise in it, but I'm not sure I taste it.

I'm stickin my neck out on this one. Sutliff Mixture 79 drug store baccy claims to have vanilla flavoring. However, the pouch aroma is licorice and it tastes licoricey more than vanilla. I love the stuff but many find it to be icky if not rancid.

My love of the pipe began 35 years ago with my great-grandfather. Dad said he smoked Half & Half. I should try it, but I do not like licorice in anything else.

I think Uhle's 255 is also supposed to have a bit of Licorice to it. I never really noticed it, though. I would highly recommend the blend on its other merits too.

As mentioned above, Blackpool and Ramsgate (a slightly aromatic version of BP) are described as having them. They're black, shinny, and I do smell a bit of anise in the tobacco, but not really in the smoking. Still, I rather like them both.

Natch

Dave_In_Philly":5nzvd6te said:
I think Uhle's 255 is also supposed to have a bit of Licorice to it. I never really noticed it, though. I would highly recommend the blend on its other merits too.
Uhles 255 does indeed have a light top dressing of licorice, but it's very subtle. So much so, one is hard pressed to identify it but it's delicious and beguiling. Plus it's what my late Pap smoked exclusively and also what I started out on. I figured if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me!

Cheers,

RR

Hearth and Home's Classic Burley Cake has a heavy dollop of anise (along with some other flavorings added). I taste more licorice than anything else. It's a very nice tobacco with good burning qualities, and the price if quite reasonable.

I remember reading somewhere that Gawith & Hogwarts Black Twist (sliced) had the addition of an extra essence...and that is was anise. But it might have been the Rope...well, whichever one the so as a sliced version. As strong and smokey as that stuff is, I'm thinking that a hint of anise in it would be excellent.

Just looked it up. It's called Sliced Black Twist and is supposed to be Black X...sliced and scented with stuff like Tonquin, maple and anise...quite a cocktail. I'm not making a recommendation as I've never tried it.