Lighter vs. Matches Poll

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Boy here. I'm goofy like that...gotta have the goodies. Torch for the 'gars, OB for the briars. I think it's worth every penny, though, so :mrgreen: easy justification.

I don't like the aroma of the sulfur (I guess that's what it is) with lighting matches. I really need to get a pipe lighter.

I like to use matches from time to time because it feels more tradishional but most times im outside when i smoke so it just blows out. Iv tried my zippo and i really noticed the bad taste from the fuel. bic lighters have worked the best harder than a match to blow out and taste about the same to me even with a slight aftertaste a few puffs later i hardly notice a thing.

I usually flic my bic, I really would prefer some decent matches -- just can't get Swan Vestas :)

I must say I love my pipe zippo, but if I'm out of fuel or can't find it, i'll quickly reach for my matchbox.

I have a Fujima pipe lighter I picked up on e-Bay for about $15...seems to work pretty good!

After getting into matches on account of pipes, I decided to put them to use on my cigar, today. Up to now, I'd been using the cheap, freebie matches that came free with my purchased. They weren't paper matches, but that's all I can say about them. (There are actually some quality matches I occasionally get as freebies, but I had actually never used one of those on my cigars, and only learned about them with my pipes.) Today I gave it a shot with one of those nice kitchen matches I'd bought. I used one match to toast the rim and a second one to light up. I could get used to that sort of thing.

I like using lighters a whole lot more.
They are easier, more windproof, cleaner (no sticks to deal with) , and i feel easier on my pipe rim.
However, sometimes when inside at a shop or something i will use matches for the charring light because i feel they do a better job at that. Overall though, i prefer a nice pipe lighter

sstodvictory":maucjs5p said:
Prefer this to matches because I feel it reduces rim charring, and it works better for deep relights.

Lotus_vertigo_reach.jpg
I prefer the flavor that I get when I use matches, but I don't like going through a box of matches every time I smoke a bowl. I'm not one of those one light ponies, you see.

That being said, the Lotus Vertigo Reach was one of the best lighters I've ever owned. Unfortunately, mine died and, as I understand it, Vertigo no longer makes it. :(

My mother bought me a Colibri for Christmas which has been working quite nicely so far. It's designed to appear as if the middle were made from briar.

colibr10.jpg

I almost always use matches.

The only exception is if I'm outside in strong winds...and if the winds are that strong, I'm usually not smoking, anyway.

I use matches every now and then, have them always handy as you never know when your lighter will run out of fuel. My preference is my OLD BOY and ZICAR indoors, and ZIPPOS definatly outdoors. MIKE

Lighter most the time. Xikar Resource. Usually because I smoke while driving and matches are a pain in the ass if you're trying to drive. Matches if I'm sitting around.

Bic lighter because they are convenient, make a clean flame, and flame control isn't real bad. I use stick matches when they're around. Better flame control than a Bic. But I too don't care for the sulphur either. I suppose if I was tootin a $300 pipe, well, it would be stick matches for sure.

The sulfur burns off in a second and then you light your pipe...
Yes, I realize that. I was refering more to the sulphur smell when I strike. Again, I use stick matches when I can. Preferably the large variety as the small ones don't stay lit all that long after the sulphur burns off.