Lighter vs. Matches Poll

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using matches for over 30 years now, plain wooden kitchen matches, nothing fancy.I mostly smoke at home but I'm in the market for a good lighter to carry in my pocket when I do go out with a pipe.

I'm an outdoor or in the car smoker. Lighting a match outdoors works... sometimes. Usually a Xikar Resource or Pipeline work for me.

UberHuberMan said:
sstodvictory":worxjbr8 said:
My mother bought me a Colibri for Christmas which has been working quite nicely so far. It's designed to appear as if the middle were made from briar.

colibr10.jpg
That's the one I bought to replace my dead Vector insert. It died on me before I ever got to use it. I still have to send it back to Colibri and see what they can do. Good luck with yours, it sure seemed nice. It has a really nice weight to it.

Until about a week ago I was a dedicated Old Boy user but then it began leaking fluid and wouldn't light. In the meantime it's stablemate, my trusty Zippo pipe lighter, kept on working like a champ. I think it will become my no. 1 pipe lighter.

Smokey

Well my vote is still for lighter but since my colibri just died I have been using matches more often. I still appreciate the simplicity of lighters but matches do seem to do a better job at lighting.

Mostly matches all these years but I did get my old Rollalite back from Authorized Repair today after having it thoroughly gone over, new seals , flame tube etc. Bought it while in 'Nam back in '69 and had them modify it to be a pipe lighter a few years later and have used it off and on since. I use it when I "go out" as it's simpler than a pocket full of kitchen matches :p Here's a pic a friend took of it last year:

DunhillRollalite-1.jpg

It's a fuel lighter with a spark system same as a Rollagas.

Long matches - lower starting temp than the lighter, one match is sufficient for all three lightings of the pipe.

That's just rationalization, I simply like matches more than lighters in general. :)

I've been using a Prometheus Sherlock for about three years now. Well built, 90 degree flame and nicely priced. Flame adjustment knob is large and easy to use.

I’m using a Corona Old Boy for a year now and lighting my pipe has been twice the fun since then.
It’s stylish, convenient to handle and very reliable.
I’d been using matches before I got it, and I’d still say they are the next best thing.

If I had a nice calm place that I could guarantee a light, a match is the best bet. But the streets of chicago, ducking into door nooks for a relight means my bic is my friend most of the time.

Matches are absolutely fantastic. I strike one up if I'm at home, but if I'm out I always use my Pipe Zippo. I refuse to use a bic, because it just dumps butane into your tobacco. You have to hold it upside down also.

GuitarMyFriend":miomcizl said:
Matches are absolutely fantastic. I strike one up if I'm at home, but if I'm out I always use my Pipe Zippo. I refuse to use a bic, because it just dumps butane into your tobacco. You have to hold it upside down also.
Old Boy, young man. :lol!:

Lighter
Everytime

Had many lighters over the years...
..the one I always grab when I walk out the door is my trusty ZIPPO!

Butanes seem to run out of fuel quickly no matter the brand or seals go bad, my zippo has never let me down. Easy on fuel and good in a breeze. The fuel taste is only there for a couple of puffs anyhoo. Besides the metallic clink when I it's opened and closed has a nice ring to it.
IMHO

Until my 23 yo daughter lost it I always used a Nimrod pipe lighter. Only times it wouldn't light were when I let it get low on fluid. I think its time to buy another one.

Jim

I also vote for option C: All of the Above. I keep a Bic disposable in the car for smoking my old basket pipe on the way to and from work. I also have a fancy pipe lighter that I use at home, usually when I'm smoking my more expensive pipes. Then I have a few zippos and matches around as backups. I actually don't prefer the zippos.
The swanky matches I bought at my local B&M actually provide the best light, imo, but living on the coast means there is usually a brisk wind blowing, which isn't conducive to using expensive matches. Unless you have a big budget set aside for matches.

ruraldean":ktcg0xnj said:
I prefer matches but I'm lazy enough to default to a zippo or bic most of the time. A good Swan Vesta, burnt off, drawn deeply into the bowl, seems to provide greater heat. My best smokes (no relights in this case) come from an initial match.
Ditto.

Kudos to you for admitting to being lazy enough to grab for a Bic once in a while. I use matches in the house. I much prefer them. Although if I'm out in the yard or taking a break at work I use a lighter. No matchstick litter, and they are easier to manage in the wind.