Lighters I like, what are yours?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Well I asked what lighters you wouldn't buy again so now I'll ask what your favorite lighters are.

I know many favor a Bic, an original Zippo or plain wooden matches. Since I suffer from a rare neurological condition neither a Bic or matches are easy for me since my hands can't continually hold down a Bic nor can I always use wooden matches due to not being able to keep holding one, trying to shield any wind and get the pipe lit. The original Zippo fluid is something I cannot handle just filling the lighter I can taste the fluid which I cannot tolerate.

I have a Caran d'Ache that is Chinese lacquered black and the rest of the body is gold plated. It has given me nearly 13 years of faithful service until I heard a pop sound followed by a very cold feeling in my pocket so I knew the seal had failed it is on its way for service.

36723395642_5bd9ddec30_o_d.jpg

I have a Dunhill Rollagas that is gold plated which I had converted for pipe lighting and after 7 years it makes such a tiny flame that I can't adjust so it is on its way for service as well.

36723394682_0722e597f1_o_d.jpg

I have 2 St. DuPont gold plated lighters, one a Ligne 1 model the other a Ligne 2 model. The Ligne 1 has began to leak after 10 years and is on its way for service.

36754566161_8b6b4c3329_z_d.jpg

36723395072_f08ba8bc56_z_d.jpg

I have 2 Corona Old Boy lighters, one is black the other has a briar body and gold plating. I lost the black one 4 years ago and purchased the other to replace it. Five days later I found the black one and I can only imagine how many vehicles had ran over it in 5 days, you can only imagine what it looked like. I sent it for service with the $10 fee that was the cost back then being very honest as to what had transpired and 3 weeks later it was returned to me with new parts and working flawlessly with no further costs, that was customer service above and beyond all expectations.

36723394742_42ee37396f_o_d.jpg

I picked up a Maruman GL67 pipe lighter not working for short money because I liked the vintage look, since it was not working but has a great reputation I have sent it out for service as well.

36723394962_0a62cc04cd_o_d.jpg

I picked up a beautiful Cartier Trinity brushed body with tri-metal rings in the box with papers at Goodwill for short money. It didn't work when I got it home but a little research had me fine it was a very expensive lighter. I sent it out for service and it came back in less than 5 weeks and has been a faithful companion ever since.

36754566181_701aafee39_o_d.jpg

While I hate the Z insert for the Zippo lighter I do have one by Vector, it can be fussy when very cold but it uses a flint so I just keep striking until it sparks to life I still like having it handy.

36723644372_85cbe264ac_o_d.jpg

So there you have it all the lighters that keep me smokey.
banjo

I only use a lighter when rolling down the highway--you know, in a car? :lol: My favorite is a chrome Zippo Armor, regular size, regular insert. Keep fluid in the trunk, for reliability. Does it scorch bowl rims? Not if you're quick.

Never liked gas lighters much, but that Caran d'Ache is absolutely spiffy!

I have two Dunhill Sterling lighters that i bought in Hong Kong over 40 years ago and have used regularly since. One is a Rollalite which looks like your Rollagas 'cept it uses fuel and the other is a Unique which they have made since 1923 and the "Old Boys" are a copy of. The third lighter I have is my old brass Zippo which I used at the University of Vietnam back in '69. All three have been faithful friends all these years. Sorry no pics, me and PB aren't friends these days :twisted: :twisted:

I do enjoy my inexpensive Zippo pipe lighter. Also, the new Zippo fluid leaves no foul odor or bad taste to the tobacco. Especially if you light up your Zippo and just wait about 2 seconds before firing up your tobacco.

One day, if I come across a fabulous deal on a Corona Old Boy, that's a lighter I would like to own once again. My original was gifted to a friend. My Old Boy was well built and had a minor issue which was an easy fix for me. Being retired/disabled and on a tight budget is basically why I'm still keeping my eyes opened for a good deal.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

First, great pics as always, Banjo!!! Bak in the day, I used a Zippo pipe lighter (with the round hole at the top). Also, had both Nimrod versions...The regular lighter with the round hole at the top ala the Zippo and the round tube-shaped one that you pulled/snapped apart to lite. I've strictly been a "match man" for decades! Don't care for lighter fluid, flints, etc. :cheers: FTRPLT

My fave is the Zippo with the pipe lighter insert. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with the taste from the fluid. I've been told the formula for the fluid has been changed, so the Naptha taste isn't so strong, but it isn't so handy for occasional spot removal. Having a palette that isn't especially sensitive might have an advantage. I use wooden matches maybe half the time, but they're anything but wind proof. The cost / benefit of some lighters is problematic for me. Another plus of Zippos is that when I lose one another is available until I discover which jacket I left my "lost sheep" in. I don't remember ever permanently losing a lighter. Temporarily lost, yes. But with your handsome flock you're never without a very nice lighter.

I use two lighters that are my favorites, one for indoors and the other one is used whenever I leave the house. My favorite lighter for inside use is a Kiribi Kabuto Mizo. I can easily go 5-6 days without refueling. The lighter I use whenever I'm outside is my Nimrod Commander. I've had it a number of years and a couple of years ago I picked up another one just to have a spare. The Nimrod will go 4-5 days without refueling with steady use. I prefer it over a Zippo because I don't have to refuel it every other day like I do with a Zippo. :)

AJ

My Kiribi Lighter:

My Nimrod Commander:

I've been primarily using the same old IMCO lighter I got back around '01/'02. These were like $10 back in the day.

001-068-0212.jpg

Actually I had another one (the original) but it went tits ups. So this is the second one, but from the same general vintage. Just needs flints and butane. And it's not fussy about the butane - I've been using Ronson for years with no problems. Go figure, as it seems to get a bad rap!

Also have a Zippo that eats fuel but is a great performer. And yes, I've read the recommended fixes for this but have yet to check them out.

Frankly, I use penny matches most of the time. So sue me!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude ":r7xfyti7 said:
Actually I had another one (the original) but it went tits ups.
Okay, now I must ask because I've never heard the expression/phrase " tits up " before. Well, not when a lighter or any other material object no longer works properly. Would it be " tits down " once the item gets old and really not of any use anymore???

Now you must explain the phrase better...please...thanks much.

Oh, I've heard " belly up ", as in the stock market in '08

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote it simply means it keeled over dead, obviously it's not a human but the phrase is used for those inanimate objects that die on us.
banjo

I personally prefer wooden "strike anywhere" matches to light every pipe to include cobs. Butane lighters that I have used are basically a pain in my rump. I prefer not tasting fuel either but, my dearest best friend gifted to me, a Vintage Nimrod Sportsman pipe lighter last year for my retirement gift.

fishnbanjo":9kmkogp4 said:
I picked up a Maruman GL67 pipe lighter not working for short money because I liked the vintage look, since it was not working but has a great reputation I have sent it out for service as well.
This is the one I use every day.....don't know how old it is. Seems as if it might be the lighter Noah used on the Ark. I was gifted this by a friend who stopped smoking

Lonecoyote":xvvho8sn said:
 Would it be " tits down " once the item gets old and really not of any use anymore???
I agree with "tits down" as it's clear it refers to a human body. A drowned human always floats "tits down" :lol!:

SpeedyPete":8nc9efce said:
I agree with "tits down" as it's clear it refers to a human body. A drowned human always floats "tits down
Why would you want to make me laugh this much so early in the morning!! But, I do appreciate it...LOL

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Urban Dictionary, tits up

broken; dead in the water, floating
well that project really went tits up.
by Anonymous July 26, 2003

Seriously, never heard it used in a sentence prior, other than referring to a perky woman. Need I say more?..... :fpalm: :fpalm:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

SpeedyPete":nxai3lpw said:
...I agree with "tits down" as it's clear it refers to a human body.  A drowned human always floats "tits down"  :lol!:
Well, so much for those paintings of poor Ophelia:

I keep threatening to get one of them fancy pipe lighters, but when push comes to shove, I fall back on my old brass Zippo. The engraving is almost gone now...my initials, and OTSLS, which stands for the Old Tweed Sporting and Literary Society, a loosely organized (some would say not organized at all) group of golfers, cigar and pipe smokers, whisky drinkers, and other ne'r-do-wells. My concession has been to add a butane insert as I got tired of the old Ronson fluid evaporating within a couple days.

EBE1BBym.jpg

Lonecoyote said:
Urban Dictionary, tits up

broken; dead in the water, floating
well that project really went tits up.
by Anonymous July 26, 2003

Seriously, never heard it used in a sentence prior, other than referring to a perky woman. Need I say more?..... :fpalm: :fpalm:

I'm enjoying this very much. My favorite Annie Proulx short story is titled "Tits Up in a Ditch." I don't think there is an unnecessary or imperfectly placed word in it. First time I read it I immediately went back to the beginning. It's perfection in prose. The title fits it perfectly, and no other would do, or even come close. Read it and you'll never forget what "tits up" means.