Linkman's and early Dr. Grabows

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
My interest in Kaywoodies has re- fueled an interest in Dr. Grabows and the preceding Linkman pipes. Using Pipedia, I've tried searching ebay for the like according to the Pipedia info showing models with early years like Duke, Crown Duke, etc. I'm hoping to find old briar this way. Does anyone have any tips on this or other ways to find a nice smoking one? I'm kind of partial to author and orunce shapes, but not exclusively. There doesn't serm to be much info on Linkman.Thanks

I don't have any tips for you, but I think it's great that you are looking into these old "everyman's" pipes (for lack of a better term). I miss the days when every drug store, grocery etc. had cards of pipes on prominent display: cobs, Grabow, Medico, Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, et al...I remember when you could buy packets of two pouches of tobacco with a pipe attached; I bought one and got a bent apple that was a fine smoker. I gave it to my son; wish I still had it! Love seeing these pipes being smoked on the "what are you smoking" thread too! I wish you good luck in your search!

I've got a Linkman Grabow or two packed away. I had to have one to see what they are like, but was a little disappointed with them. They don't seem as sturdy as the later Dr. Grabows made in Sparta, NC. If you want a good deal on a new Dr. Grabow from the 60's/70's, you might want to visit Paul's Pipe Shop online or call them. Here is a link to their website: Paul's Pipe Shop He has some old Dr. Grabows in stock and they are on sale for 25% off. The website doesn't begin to show all of his stock, but you can call and ask for him to send you some more pictures.
I've had mixed luck with finding good Dr. Grabows on eBay lately; it's hit or miss. I did find an author shape Grabow at a local antique store recently for about $20 three months ago.
Here's some of the Grabows at Paul's Pipe Shop: ( I have more pictures of them if you're interested).
Regals.jpg

Starfires.jpg

Silver-Dukes.jpg

I have several Linkman's Grabows and recommend them. I know three people who I respect who collect and smoke them, too. They aren't Dunhills, but they deliver what you need, and the prices aren't bad.

Grabows after the 1960s are very hit and miss, especially by the late 1970s when some of their lower line pipes used cheap material for their stems.

Kaywoodies and Yello-Bole pipes from the 1920s to the 1950s are higher quality pipes than Grabows. Especially the Kaywoodies, which was highly regarded during that era. The KB&B era is most optimal.

Never had a good Medico.

I don't have any tips for you, but I think it's great that you are looking into these old "everyman's" pipes (for lack of a better term). I miss the days when every drug store, grocery etc. had cards of pipes on prominent display: cobs, Grabow, Medico, Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, et al...I remember when you could buy packets of two pouches of tobacco with a pipe attached; I bought one and got a bent apple that was a fine smoker. I gave it to my son; wish I still had it! Love seeing these pipes being smoked on the "what are you smoking" thread too! I wish you good luck in your search!
Thanks @Idelfellow, I wish I had experienced that. I have an affinty for simple pipe smoking times, people, and supplies. That's cool about the one you gave to your son. I figure there's some pearls among those oysters from old. I found an interesting article on Linkman pipes Olde London and others and their availability through Edgeworth Ready Rubbed tobacco.
https://baccypipes.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/linkman-edgeworth-signature-coupon-pipe/

I've got a Linkman Grabow or two packed away. I had to have one to see what they are like, but was a little disappointed with them. They don't seem as sturdy as the later Dr. Grabows made in Sparta, NC. If you want a good deal on a new Dr. Grabow from the 60's/70's, you might want to visit Paul's Pipe Shop online or call them. Here is a link to their website: Paul's Pipe Shop He has some old Dr. Grabows in stock and they are on sale for 25% off. The website doesn't begin to show all of his stock, but you can call and ask for him to send you some more pictures.
I've had mixed luck with finding good Dr. Grabows on eBay lately; it's hit or miss. I did find an author shape Grabow at a local antique store recently for about $20 three months ago.
Here's some of the Grabows at Paul's Pipe Shop: ( I have more pictures of them if you're interested).
Regals.jpg

Starfires.jpg

Silver-Dukes.jpg
Thanks @Haebar . I called them today, and the son said let me get you to my father, as we 800,000 pipes! I'd read this somewhere, and I'd like to visit that shop. I haven’t settled on one yet, but this is a great lead. Glad you found that author, and look forward to a post about it.

I have several Linkman's Grabows and recommend them. I know three people who I respect who collect and smoke them, too. They aren't Dunhills, but they deliver what you need, and the prices aren't bad.

Grabows after the 1960s are very hit and miss, especially by the late 1970s when some of their lower line pipes used cheap material for their stems.

Kaywoodies and Yello-Bole pipes from the 1920s to the 1950s are higher quality pipes than Grabows. Especially the Kaywoodies, which was highly regarded during that era. The KB&B era is most optimal.

Never had a good Medico.
Thanks Jim, I'm looking for a Linkman Grabow, and would like to have at least one. I read one post on Grabows where the guy said his best smokers were made in Itay. I noticed you have Briarcraft made by Grabow, so have looked at those too. I'm enjoying my Kaywoodies, but they are 3 hole stingers, so doubt they are from the 50's. I know where a Yello-Bole is, and need to get back by there. I'll start focusing on the KB&B era especially. Today, I read up on HLT pipes and their ties to Grabow. Iget a real thrill on finding old pipes in antique and even junk stores, but need more knowledge to know what I am looking at.
I found this on ebay and though I'm not yet much interested in meerschaum, I thought of @Charley Scanlan
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2759547198...1hBdKtTGK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Last edited:
I remember when you could order pipes with coupons/stamps off of tobacco wrappers. I forget which brands offered them; Edgeworth maybe?. I still have a double-walled porcelain calabash shape and a tobacco jar that I got with Troost coupons.

PP2ZFmsm.jpg
pCIbiLTm.jpg
Prince Albert had that on Grabows. Here's from an old tin with untouched tobacco.
20230613_172920.jpg
20230613_172801.jpg

I remember when you could order pipes with coupons/stamps off of tobacco wrappers. I forget which brands offered them; Edgeworth maybe?. I still have a double-walled porcelain calabash shape and a tobacco jar that I got with Troost coupons.

PP2ZFmsm.jpg
pCIbiLTm.jpg
That's a nice jar and pipe.

For me the older pipes are all about the stem material they used back then also. You'll know you have a good one by the weight of it in hand. It seems to have a different density to me. The oxidation is surface only, is easier to get that jet black sheen to it and keep the fit to the shank. Cheaper material stems you'll lose the diameter fit to the shank of the stummel because the oxidization goes deeper.

Well fellas, looks like I have an early Linkman coming. According to something I found on the Dr. Grabow tapatalk forum, this is from 1931-33 based on the 3 ball stinger. I'm pretty excited about owning such an old pipe that is in such good condition too. I like this apple shape also. Now, I just need some vintage Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. I think my nearest oldest is the Parker churchwarden from the 1940's.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/drg...rain-billiard-and-linkman-olde-lon-t6609.html
Screenshot_20230721_103557_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230721_103629_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230721_104914_eBay.jpg