Looking for aromatic suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogjunk

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some suggestions as to aromatics. I don't care for the syrupy sweet, gloppy stuff. There are some Boswell blends that I enjoy (i.e. No Bite Delite). I like Bob's Chocolate Flake. Years ago there were some C&D blends that I liked, although I haven't smoked anything from them lately. Just looking for something new and thought you guys would be the ones to ask. Thanks!

Doug

Well, you already blew through my list: IMHO Boswell does aro's right. Not too sweet, not too goopy, and a reasonable price for good weed.

Rumor (and a thread around here somewhere) purports that Boswell has a new chocolate out that is pretty damned tasty. You might want to give them a call and get some.

My two favorites are Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream, and CAO/Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. Both have excellent flavorings on top of high quality tobaccos, so as the flavoring fades you still have a great taste.

And yes, did I mention I have some of the Mac Baren's for sale? See: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14299-tobacco-4-sale-aged-virginias-english-new-on-mac-barens

IMHO, no one does aromatics better than the folks at Boswell's and Carole at Pipeworks&Wilke. My recommendation would be to get a sampler from each company and pick your favorites.

Smokey

For me, some of the best aromatic pipe tobaccos are the house blends from places like Uhle's, Milan Tobacconists, Perettis, Boswell's, & Pipeworks & Wilke. Visit their websites & look around - you'll find some of the finest aromatics available.

smokey422":w5aq3ato said:
IMHO, no one does aromatics better than the folks at Boswell's and Carole at Pipeworks&Wilke. My recommendation would be to get a sampler from each company and pick your favorites.

Smokey
QFT..I also like McClellands, and 4noggins has a couple tasty ones.

I don't bother with aromatics from outside those 4 sources. Any attempt to do so has met with disappointment.

Despite all the bad press, I think there is a reason that both Lane's 1Q and Captain Black seem to dominate the market. I smoke both regularly. C&D Autumn Evening is also a good smoke.

Click Search... type in Aromatics, and you will see links to previous posts that will provide hundreds of suggestions. The only aromatic I like is BCAQ. Moist, sweet, and gloppy... burns to a white ash, tastes great, and smells great.
Good Luck,
Milan

For a berry flavored tobacco, I'd recommend Devil's Holiday, Treasures of Ireland Galway, C&Ds Very Berry or Celtic Talisman.

Jim

I don't like tooth-achingly sweet aromatics...learned that lesson with the Villager 1888 Mid Day... :lol: Like burning cupcakes... :lol:

McClelland indeed does have fine aromatics...I can't wait to try them all... I'm really hot on "Town Topic" right now... the Nording Retriever is also very light weight but present, easy to smoke and not tiresome.

Samplers may be a way to go:

http://www.4noggins.com/4nogginsAROMATICSAMPLER.aspx

My all time favorite is Trout Stream from pipesandcigars.com
Awesome, easy burn. Actually tastes like it smells (which is delicious) and its cheap. Oh yeah, the room note will win you a lot of friends too.
Not too strong, but great!

Big G":le6fa7hf said:
For me, some of the best aromatic pipe tobaccos are the house blends from places like Uhle's, Milan Tobacconists, Perettis, Boswell's, & Pipeworks & Wilke. Visit their websites & look around - you'll find some of the finest aromatics available.
I agree 100%. Some of my favorite aromatics are from Milan Tobacco. I really like Hillman, which is a burley based blend.

Milan":0l7w0obh said:
Click Search... type in Aromatics, and you will see links to previous posts that will provide hundreds of suggestions. The only aromatic I like is BCAQ. Moist, sweet, and gloppy... burns to a white ash, tastes great, and smells great.
Good Luck,
Milan
BCAQ - what is that?

mattia76":cxat2e2k said:
My all time favorite is Trout Stream from pipesandcigars.com
Awesome, easy burn. Actually tastes like it smells (which is delicious) and its cheap. Oh yeah, the room note will win you a lot of friends too.
Not too strong, but great!
Is TS an aromatic? I thought it just has a few different cav tobaccos blended. Smooth and sweet but I wasn't aware there was any topping or casing added...well aside from the processing to make a baccy cavendish of course. :D

My problem with most aromatics is that you get some nice smell but not much actual tobacco taste. Most fall awfuly short, but there are a few that are excellent, though not really what most people would call aromatics. Bob's Chocolate flake is one, and since you mentioned that you like it I assume that you too like aromatic tobaccos that are more tobacco than aromatic. I'd suggest Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake, a meld of dark fired Kentucky with a light, ginger-like Danish (to me) Virginia base. The aromatic Danish style tobacco and the dark earthy Kentucky play off of each other amazingly well, and when you're finished you know you've smoked a bowl of solid, well made tobacco, not syrup soaked fluff. Another is Uhle's Perfection Plug burley, a solid plug cut burley tobacco mixed with some lighter ribbon cut burley and having a pastry-like aroma. Excellent stuff!! 8)

Dan's Blue not is a great tin to pick up. I also recommend Boswells Christmas Cookie, Pom Holiday, and Chocolate cream. You might also want to look into Petersons Sunset Breeze.

frogjunk":767ifdmc said:
Milan":767ifdmc said:
Good Luck,
Milan
BCAQ - what is that?
Lane's 1Q & BCA mixed at a 1:1 ratio... bombdiggady!

My house blend go-to's:

* 4Noggins - Three Blind Moose
* Boswell - Cherry Smash; Vanilla Creme; Piper's Pleasure (their latest blend)
* Pipeworks & Wilke - Mettowee; Vermont Maple

Recently...:

* Mission Pipe's "Chocolate Passion" - I found out about these guys on somebody's YouTube channel last week. I bought seven (7) pouches of various aromatics and not since my first Boswell order had I plucked five winners in a row. (http://www.missionpipe.com/)
* Dunhill A30000 - If you like Black Cavendish
* Lane Limited RLP-6 - Again, if you like black/dark cavendish

Tins...:
* You can't go wrong with McClelland tins either. Best of Show, Caramel Rush, Tastemaster.
* If you like hazelnuts, check out Erik Nordings "Labrador".

I've recently discovered G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake and it's good stuff. Two others that are always in my rotation are Reiner's Professional and Dan's DaVinci. Both meet your criteria. High quality, not goopy, and not overbearing but great flavor and room note.