looking for handmade, hand sewn moccasins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Do any of you know of saddle shops, leather shops, or cobbler/boot shops that cut, shave, and hand sew moccasins? I have a hazy memory of many years ago that a saddle shop in one of the bigger tourist areas of Colorado also made their own moccasins. I'm not on the hunt for standard Minnetonka, mass-produced types. I'm hoping to find something that is made on the spot; built around an old shoe last, hand sewn with thick cord and bloody fingers with very thick leather. Not necessarily hoping you'll help me find that one shop of cloudy memory. I'm more hoping you might know of one or more of this type thing in your state (or other states if you happen to be one who notices this kind of thing). Any help appreciated. Thanks.

*not looking for button moccasins. More interested in the standard slip-on, canoe, or chukka varieties.

That's a good example of what I'm looking to buy. Thanks. I'd like more vendor options. Anyone else make moccasins like these?

Arrow Moccasins are hand made. Family business I believe. I bought mine from a boot retailer in Cody Wy. I believe Arrow has a website if you google them bought a lined pair directly from them quite a few years ago. Very well made and fit like a glove.

Zeno, there was a gentleman at Old Sturbridge Village that made mocs. I have a pair he did from 20 years ago and they're still going strong. He makes them in such a way that the soles are easily replaced. They were on the expensive side but they are entirely handmade items. As I recall he just needs you to trace the outline of your feet and then measure over the top of your foot at the high point of your arch. Most comfortable footwear I've ever owned.

Hope this helps
Jim

Another place you might want to try is Manitoba Mocasin they have a wide assortment and styles to choose from.

huffelpuff":z2bg2wij said:
Zeno, there was a gentleman at Old Sturbridge Village that made mocs. I have a pair he did from 20 years ago and they're still going strong. He makes them in such a way that the soles are easily replaced. They were on the expensive side but they are entirely handmade items. As I recall he just needs you to trace the outline of your feet and then measure over the top of your foot at the high point of your arch. Most comfortable footwear I've ever owned.

Hope this helps
Jim
Google is sending me to Arrow Moccasins when I type in "Old Sturbridge Village moccasins".

Based in Hudson, Massachusetts, Arrow Moccasin Company (arrowmoc.com) was founded in 1951 by Ron Ouellette, who was previously employed by the historic Old Sturbridge Village living museum as a bootmaker.

Thanks to you also, Bub.  The Orvis line appears to all have rubber soles.  I'm not interested in an adapted shoe like that.  I was hoping to find an all-leather, true moccasin design made of leather and stitch.  No metal or rubber. The one design they do have like that is more like a modern version of what I'm wanting. It's all machine stitched, and I'd like them to be hand sewn.

Zeno, that's the guy. Glad to see he's still around doing business. I'm pretty sure his is what you want. Hand cut, hand sewn, every stitch is knotted. They may seem expensive but when you factor in how much longer they last than most mocs. they are ridiculously cheap. Like I said I've been wearing the same pair for almost 20 years. Granted I don't wear them daily as mine are the French Canadian boot. They'd be a bit much to deal with daily. He's got a number of shorter styles though including the standard canoe moc.