looking to branch out into tinned tobaccos..where do i start

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you had to pick the quintessential navy flake whatwould it be? why?

PiperCub":cyp32ft2 said:
I am going to let others chime in here. The three I smoke are LNF, MacB's Navy Flake, and Newminster Superior Navy Flake. These are all great tobaccos. I have a tin of the SG waiting its turn in line. if I had a friend over at the house who wanted the "Navy Flake" experience, I would reach for the MacB's.

i just ordered an estate pipe rack from ebay..once it gets here i'll post pics

I forgot about Escudo. I have smoked that too and just finished a tin.

Here is where I get petty. Escudo is about $10 a 50 g tin. That works out to about $90 a pound. LNF is about $45 for a pound and a half. Escudo is good, but it is not $90 a pound good (to me anyway). It is one of those things where I'll buy a tin so I will have had the experience.

LNF is a great value and a great smoke for my taste buds. I know it is supposed to be better aged, but I have had it aged. It was different and very good, but I think I like it about as much when it is fresh from the box.

PiperCub":rx0p7fec said:
I'd say either SG Navy Flake or G&H Rum Flake. Why? Simply because of the rich history of those two tobacco houses. If there was a tobacco that the actual British Royal Navy was smoking it probably would have been some kind of Kendal concoction.

However, from what I understand the actual tobacco rations aboard British Naval ships were in rope form (not plug) stored in hogsheads as Tom mentioned.

I've never understood "Navy Flake" variations either. I too, always thought it was the pressing and the rum. I want to try SG's version though. Looks good.

I am a fan of Navigator as I enjoy the rum top note, the Kentucky which gives it a nice kick and the virginia that has some sweetness. It does do better with some age but I do enjoy it fresh.

Other tasty blends are:

Brigham Klondike Gold
Capstan Blue Flake
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Solani Silver Flake ad 633
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

i'll put all of those on my Christmas wishlist...along witha a bottle of Glenmorangie Single Malt

PiperCub":zfm3wa7y said:
i'll put all of those on my Christmas wishlist...along witha a bottle of Glenmorangie Single Malt
Hey PiperCub - due to 10+ inches of snow on the ground this morning (this area doesn't do well with much snow), it'll be Monday before I can mail out that sampler pack for you.

ajn27511":mj3b6c0x said:
Orlick Golden Sliced is my everyday go to tobacco. Wonderful taste thats got just a little perique to round out the Va.'s. A fine tobacco that's moderately priced and a favorite of many of our members. :) 

AJ
Love Orlik Golden Sliced.

Best,

so, as you guys know...Rob_In_MO and idbowman recently took it upon themselves to send me, an unknown (to them) 24 year old rookie pipe smoker....i received both packages today..honestly i wasn't sure what to expect..i DID expect tobacco of course...i did NOT expect to be moved to..tears..yes, tears. There is something to be said for 2 men who i've never met to take time ( and money) out of their lives to broaden a newbie pipers horizons..Rob....i knew you were sending me a few samples...if these are considered samples..i'd need a forklift and warehouse if you offered me bulk tobacco..the box exploded open when i got the tape off..and my fiancee immediately told me to 'get that crap out of our room!' (i still don't understand women) Ian..when i first discovered Orlik Golden Sliced i remember poring over countless youtube videos and other pipe forums to find out all about this new, exciting thing i had discovered. I couldn't wait to receive it..'smoked by all shrewd judges' maybe it's a Divine acknowledgement to pursue law school...i feel like both of my Brothers invited me to sit down and share a bowl with them, as only BoB knows how...i'm sitting here watching a movie (Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows) and sipping a glass of whiskey (Bulleit Rye)..i raise my glass to you both..Cheers, and many happy Holidays..someday..we'll meet up for a smoke and a few pints..that's a promise.

PiperCub":mqt1bbo5 said:
Rob....i knew you were sending me a few samples...if these are considered samples..i'd need a forklift and warehouse if you offered me bulk tobacco.
Kaboom!  :twisted: 

If something is worth doing, it's usually worth doing right.  You now have a few English blends to sample, as well as a few VA's and flakes to also try.  Hope you enjoy them, Brother.   8)