Loving Those Cobs!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
A year ago I bought 8 Patriots and I'm still smoking all of them. Recently added 10 Diplomats; may get 10 more just for good measure:).

Cobs are getting to be my firm pipe of choice. The draw is phenomenal! My work with cobs is in learning to puff imperceptibly as otherwise I smoke too fast.

The Patriots are light but the Diplomats are much heavier. The bowl is substantial, but they're still a good clench. I returned three generals are they are too heavy and too big. How do you light to the bottom of the bowl? I'd need to use fireplace matches.

To get such a great smoke from a pipe costing no more than $10 is just too good to be true! But I'm going to keep adding briars for awhile when I get find a great deal. I love them too!

I agree 100%.  At times I become a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning my pipes; I have 41 pipes waiting for a good service right now.

Cobs don't mind being neglected and they are SUPER smokers.  I like my Country Gentleman the most, been smoking it for almost 4 years now. Diplomat, Great Dane and, of course, my Legends are my other favourites.

Somewhat off topic but I've been neglecting my Falcons as well.  That's another pipe which gives me a lot of smoking pleasure.  I'm going to clean them up TODAY !

I'll second all these remarks....once you get the cob fever it is hard to get away.  They always smoke cool and dry...I find myself reaching for one over the brair about every time...with the exception of the Briar Spirit apple that Kirk just finished for me.  That one I can't get enough of.

All this mystery with Cobs is starting to get to me, I have one Cob but it is an Estate and I have never used it, I have no idea why but it smells something awful, must have been a backy not to my liking smoked in it I guess. Have to say I don't like the cheap and crappy stems they come with, they look blooming awful, don't know why they can't slap on a few extra coppers and give them a half decent stem, I'd consider buying one with a good stem but not the rubbish we get sold here in the UK.

Briar Spirit":da4bcqz0 said:
All this mystery with Cobs is starting to get to me, I have one Cob but it is an Estate and I have never used it, I have no idea why but it smells something awful, must have been a backy not to my liking smoked in it I guess. Have to say I don't like the cheap and crappy stems they come with, they look blooming awful, don't know why they can't slap on a few extra coppers and give them a half decent stem, I'd consider buying one with a good stem but not the rubbish we get sold here in the UK.
Order some cobs directly from MM. They are extremely nice people to deal with. Then get yourself a "for ever" stem and, Bob's your uncle!!

Heya Pete, I just checked out their site, could I press on your time a little here please, where does one find these forever stems and what are they!?

Briar Spirit":4wrpvnfu said:
Heya Pete, I just checked out their site, could I press on your time a little here please, where does one find these forever stems and what are they!?
They are ordinary stems like what you get on briar pipes. They will fit on your Cobs.   Google Walker Briar Works and you'll find them there.

You will be a richer man when you buy a cheap cob!! :lol:

Love cobs. Also, try the maple and/or cherry "cobs." Great smokers. I use'em for Burleys and, on very rare occasions, a light aromatic. FTRPLT

ftrplt":nphnqmd9 said:
Love cobs. Also, try the maple and/or cherry "cobs." Great smokers. I use'em for Burleys and, on very rare occasions, a light aromatic. FTRPLT
Yes, I've got one each of cherry and maple, lovely little pipes for very liitle money.

SpeedyPete":5gpm4cpy said:
Briar Spirit":5gpm4cpy said:
They are ordinary stems like what you get on briar pipes. They will fit on your Cobs.   Google Walker Briar Works and you'll find them there.

Ah right so, I was thinking maybe it was some purposely made stem, thanks for the information.

I have three cobs; two legends (one bent, one straight) and a diplomat. They are awesome pipes; great draw, cool smoking, and great value of course....great for fishing, the beach, camping, etc. I just ordered a few more and two of the 'cherrywood' MMs as well....love my briars and meers, but cobs, especially the pipes I've had for a few years, are among my favorites. Comfortable, reliable, - like and old favorite pair of jeans....

Looking forward to trying the two wooden pipes from MM....

Briar Spirit":nye47o20 said:
SpeedyPete":nye47o20 said:
Briar Spirit":nye47o20 said:

Ah right so, I was thinking maybe it was some purposely made stem, thanks for the information.
Oh yes, they are specially made to fit your cobs! What I meant by calling them ordinary pipe stems is that it's made of durable pipestem material and not plastic.

Canicus61":ofdoolmy said:
Looking forward to trying the two wooden pipes from MM....
\ Please give us some feedback once you've tried them. I'm also thinking of getting me a couple.

SpeedyPete":8noqduac said:
Briar Spirit":8noqduac said:
SpeedyPete":8noqduac said:
Briar Spirit":8noqduac said:

Oh yes, they are specially made to fit your cobs!  What I meant by calling them ordinary pipe stems is that it's made of durable pipestem material and not plastic.
Cool, I found some on Walker Briarworks if anyone else is curious and doesn't know where to find them: http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/-forever-_stems.html

It seems to me that Missouri Meerschaum has made two upgrades to their stems. First was the hated plastic, but I feel that the lucite stem on my new cobs is better than the previous provided on those I bought a year ago. At this point there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to pay for a forever stem. True, the current acrylic stem is not as durable as a lucite stem on a briar, but with a little care I don't see why they wouldn't work for the life a cob.

Now I remember the cob-father John Patton/tiltjlp saying that some of his cobs are 10 and 20 years old; in which case even the current stems might not hold up.

Sorry for the delayed post here - but received the two MM 'hardwoods", one bent and one straight. I removed the filters on both, and have carefully smoked rum and maple match in one (the straight) exclusively and some nightcap, balkan sasieni, and three friars in the other....

They both seem like good smokers to me, cool, very light, great for puffing while working outside. Think cobs smoke cooler, though I've carefully 'sipped' each while smoking - for some reason I think the thin walls will need a very thorough and careful break-in....

These pipes are well worth the price, being a bit more non-descript than a cob they spark less comment.....more to come as I use 'em; but for now reviews are good! Try one!

A few of my faves

null_zpsddaf1940.jpg

I have a couple hundred cobs and hardwoods in my collection and I love them all. If you can find older estate cobs, you can still find them unsmoked, they have much better stems than the newer ones. Also if your like me and have a box of old stems laying around its pretty easy to fit one yourself.

And my newest with another acrylic stem I picked up for it off the bay

null_zpsaab1bd6b.jpg

I've noticed you can get the cobs with acrylic stems off the bay cheaper than buying a forever stem.