Lucite or Vulcanite?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yak explained it pretty well, I think. Though I believe he meant "Castello" instead of "Caminetto" in the previous post.

EXCEPT for the mouth feel issue, acrylic is the technically superior material. If that extra bit of glassiness bothers you, though, hard rubber/Vulcanite/Ebonite (all the same stuff) is really the only other option. Bakelite is also a resin-based plastic, and quite hard in feel.

Like Yak, the older I get and the more I smoke, the less I care about convention. UNmodified-to-suit-my-taste pipes now make as much sense as buying a suit off the rack without allowing the house tailor to adjust the fit.

Lucite for me. I don't clench in my teeth so softness is not an issue. My favorite stems/buttons are on the recent vintage Cavicchi pipes. My least favorite is Peterson stems, I think they use the worst vulcanite. I have a '02 Dunhill that has an amazing vulcanite stem but still falls short of lucite.

Yep -- That was supposed to come out as "Castello" but didn't.

Getting old eats it.

Nice save !

:face:

I have to agree that without question, of the pipes I that I've had personal experience with Cavicchi makes the most comfortable and consistent lucite bits. I own several of his pipes and each one is very enjoyable to smoke and reasonably priced to boot.

Lucite fan here, and sadly I'm finding my allergy to latex and natural rubber is migrating to Vulcanite (and all other 'name brands') rubber based stem materials. So far the sensitivity is not showing up with my much loved Cumberland stems, though I suspect it will eventually. I really prefer the feel of rubber based stems as I tend to clench (which isn't as comfortable for me with harder Lucite materials), but I've never liked maintaining them.

For those hwo find clenching Lucite stems withOUT my problems with latex, I recommend 'pipe condoms' as they add a level of comfort. I'm currently seeking out hypo-allergenic surgical tubing to use as pipe condoms on my Vulcanite stemmed pipes as having them re=stemmed at this time is cost prohibitive.

I know I've posted this to other threads on this site, and I repost it for visibility, if you find non painful, but slightly numb 'white patches' on your lips or tongue, knock off using Vulcanite stems for a couple of days and see if the patches go away. If so, you may have the same issue as me, allergy to latex and natural rubber products. If you suspect this sensitivity, hasten to your doctor and have it checked out, as the middle of a surgery where the surgeon is wearing latex gloves is NOT the time to find out!

:pipe:

Quote: sadly I'm finding my allergy to latex and natural rubber is migrating to Vulcanite (and all other 'name brands') rubber based stem materials

Quote: if you find non painful, but slightly numb 'white patches' on your lips or tongue, knock off using Vulcanite stems for a couple of days and see if the patches go away. If so, you may have the same issue as me, allergy to latex and natural rubber products

I am just returning to my old pipe from 10 years ago. I had the 'white patches' the first time but after about the third smoke, I awoke the next morning to extremely puffy lips. It looked as if I had received a bee sting. After a little research I realized it was the sulfur used in the vulcanization process. I was diagnosed as allergic to sulfur medications a few years back.

From now on I have to stick with acrylic stemmed pipes unless I want people to think I have been beaten by my wife.

Sulfur allergies have also been problems for some woodwind musicians when they have used hardened rubber mouthpieces.

Up until about three months ago, I would have said that I definitely preferred Lucite over vulcanite primarily because vulcanite oxidizes and it was difficult to keep those bits clean. I even avoided buying pipes with vulcanite bits. Not anymore.

I can across a deoxidizer that is remarkable. It doesn’t cover the oxidation up, but instead, completely removes it and prevents it from returning. It’s cheap and extremely effective. So for me, what the bit is made of is no longer an issue. I bought a couple Beckers in the last few months, both of which have vulcanite bits.

If you have vulcanite bit that have oxidized, I whole heartedly recommend this product. It really works! This supplier also has small jars of carnauba wax for sale.

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/stem_restore_kit.html Click onto Stem Restore Kit

I prefer lucite simply because it is more maintenance-free. I have taken several of my older pipes with vulcanite stems to the local pipe shop and had the stems replaced with lucite. The pipes look like they have the original stem, and you can also choose the color of the lucite if you don't want the plain black.

I only buy pipes with Lucite stems for most of the reasons stated above! I do however still have a few pipes with vulcanite stems which for one reason or another I just could not part with - so I did order some of the stuff that airborne recommended. I'll give it a try but if it does'nt work it's restemming for the bunch!

Its interesting to hear all of these opinions. Here is my take from the view of a pipemaker-

Vulcanite and cumberland are wonderful to work with. Nice and soft. Drilling and filling are really easy, although the stuff smells like rotten eggs when working it(sulfur). Finishing is a little bit tougher. I think it is harder to see smaller scratches left over from sanding, but once its polished its really really nice.

Lucite is a bear to work with. It chatters and chips really bad on the lathe, so you gotta take it really easy. Drilling has to go really slow or else the bit will get to hot and lock up- resulting in a broken bit. Filling and sanding go more slowly because the acrylic seems to clog up the sandpaper/file. BUT, Lucite polishes up super easy and in my opinion looks brighter than ebonite. Very close to a mirror like finish.

I prefer to work with ebonite. Really surprised to see the comments so lopsided.

Best, Trey

Lucite. When I see a new, attractive pipe made with a rubber stem, it does me the favor of eliminating it from the possibility of purchasing it. I'm simply not interested in the hassles that come with them. I've pretty much always been an Italian pipe lover, so my lucite preference is rarely a problem. I'm surprised to see that a prime reason for liking rubber is the biting. I have a soft mouth (must have been a bird dog in a previous life), but biting and tooth "fit" around various heights of lips have never been a conflict with lucite. To crack a lucite stem, you really have to be clenching like a hyena.

It is indeed strange to see the very lopsided preference for Lucite when most pipe makers seem to be using rubber. Makes sense why they use it, but then again, when the prices are often $250-500, you would like to think you'd have more of an option.

Zeno Marx":va7hlen5 said:
Lucite. When I see a new, attractive pipe made with a rubber stem, it does me the favor of eliminating it from the possibility of purchasing it. I'm simply not interested in the hassles that come with them. I've pretty much always been an Italian pipe lover, so my lucite preference is rarely a problem. I'm surprised to see that a prime reason for liking rubber is the biting. I have a soft mouth (must have been a bird dog in a previous life), but biting and tooth "fit" around various heights of lips have never been a conflict with lucite. To crack a lucite stem, you really have to be clenching like a hyena.

It is indeed strange to see the very lopsided preference for Lucite when most pipe makers seem to be using rubber. Makes sense why they use it, but then again, when the prices are often $250-500, you would like to think you'd have more of an option.
I've had Lucite stems made for some of my favorite smokers and the modest cost was well worth it. These I don't consider "collectibles" so functionality is more a consideration than keeping them original. I do agree that the maintenance of Vulcanite is a pain in the butt. It hasn't prevented me from buying a pipe yet, however. I have yet to have a Lucite stem made for a Dunhill but it would be an interesting experiment. The question is then: Is it a collectible or a smoker?? LOL

Lucite, because I'm lazy.
But a vulcanite stem won't keep me from buying a pipe I like.
And if lucite is harder to work with (see above), why is it often considered a sign of a lesser than high grade pipe?

MisterE":nffwjr88 said:
I've had Lucite stems made for some of my favorite smokers and the modest cost was well worth it. These I don't consider "collectibles" so functionality is more a consideration than keeping them original. I do agree that the maintenance of Vulcanite is a pain in the butt. It hasn't prevented me from buying a pipe yet, however. I have yet to have a Lucite stem made for a Dunhill but it would be an interesting experiment. The question is then: Is it a collectible or a smoker?? LOL
When I'm paying that kind of money for a pipe, I'm not about to go have a second bit made for it. I'm going to skip it from the git-go. I get what you're saying. It would rub me the wrong way, though.

Frankly I like the feel of vulcanite better. Not a clencher necessarily, but when I do it feels more natural and soft. All my Petes have vulcanite and I love them.

I stopped caring about the oxidation thing a long time ago. While they may not be cosmetically attractive it doesn't diminish the smoking experience.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":0lht5tcg said:
Frankly I like the feel of vulcanite better. Not a clencher necessarily, but when I do it feels more natural and soft. All my Petes have vulcanite and I love them.

I stopped caring about the oxidation thing a long time ago. While they may not be cosmetically attractive it doesn't diminish the smoking experience.

Cheers,

RR
Agreed. Although from my point of view, the maintanence that comes with Vulcanite is actually something that I look forward to...kind of like rubbing out a flake, using a charing light, or cleaning my pipe post smoke, playing around with the stem has become a part of my smoking routine. I find when I am smoking a Lucite stemmed pipe, I miss this.
I simply wipe my stem off on my t-shirt post smoke, then apply a couple of drops of Obsidian Stem Oil (no affiliation) - smells slightly of Pabatan, but keeps the finish *almost* glassy. Also brings out the shine on briar without damaging the finish, as I discovered last night.