Mac Baren Navy Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy I "know" (e-know) who has a legendarily finely-tuned sense of taste where pipe tobacco is concerned once said that, finding himself in Denmark with nothing to smoke, he bought a tin of it and tried it, expecting the worst. He was amazed at how actually decent a smoke it was there. Time after time.

When he got back to the US, he started another bowl of it, and dumped it back out again, posthaste.

There are a million variables. And they're swarming around with such complexity that trying to isolate each one and test it's a hopeless ambition.

:face:

That was funny. You did a nice, sort-of-unexpected switch in tone, almost in mid-sentence :)

You might want to try putting it aside for a month and giving it one more chance.

I have a supply of MacB Navy Mixture. Every single time I replenish it, after opening 'er up, the first bowl tastes as you described. When I put it aside and come back, it's fine. Not Arcadia, but fine -- sweetish, smokey, Va + Burley. Mixture seems to like a briar with a conical chamer.

But if you don't like something, please just say so w/out beating around the bush :)

I wonder if the blend has been changed? This past week I was given a 30 + year old sample, and it tastes absolutely nothing like the descriptions I've read here. What I'm smoking is sweet and spicy with some cinnamon notes - and I'd almost swear I taste a hint of nutmeg. This is the first time I've smoked it. I had thought about buying some, but if what's being made now is different, I'll pass.

I like Mac B's Navy Flake a lot, and cannot stand the Dark Fired. It tastes, to me, like a Parodi cigar. Nothing wrong with a Parodi, unless you light it. So go figure. Each to his or her own.