Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed (bulk) vs Tinned

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobJ

Reaction score
I just got a tin of ODF which is flaked and see that it's available in bulk but as Ready Rubbed. Can anyone tell me if I can expect the RR to taste the same as the flaked? I would think it wouldn't be the same but maybe I'm wrong, and hoping I am.

Rob

Haven't tried it myself, but I have never met a RR that tasted the same as the flake. Heck the SG plugs don't even taste the same as the plugs they are cut from.

That was what I was afraid of. Thanks for the input Dave.

I have smoked them both - multiple tins and maybe 4 - 6 oz of the ready rubbed. My last ODF purchase was a pound of the RR.

I like them both, and to me the RR is slightly smoother and more mellow - the burley is just a little less edgy maybe. If someone rubbed out the flake and I smoked them in a blind taste test back to back, I would guess that the two were identical but aged differently. There is a slight difference, but they are both 4/4 blends. You can see which one got the nod in my last order.

I am pretty sure JimInks reviews both on TR.

Love ODF. So far I've only smoked it from the tin, but did get in some ready rubbed bulk a while back which I have yet to "get a round tuit".

:| 

Cheers,

RR

Thanks for the feedback Brothers. I think I'll take the plunge and order the bulk RR but also keep a tin or two handy to hedge my bet.

After last night's smoke I'm finding the ODF to be just a wonderful blend and my wife didn't throw me out of the house when I walked in with a lit pipe and said she liked the aroma. I don't think it gets much better than that.

Brewdude":8zwfojwa said:
Love ODF. So far I've only smoked it from the tin, but did get in some ready rubbed bulk a while back which I have yet to "get a round tuit".

:| 

Cheers,

RR
Blimey Buddy, you must have a heck of a cellar to have baccy you've not got around to trying yet.

Never tried the bulk RR but the flake is absolutely stunning, as already mentioned Flake is quite different from RR on most if not all blends but the difference can be so slight it would take some serious attention to subtle nuances to detect them.

Since Father Tom mentioned my review, here's the one for the ready rubbed version, which includes my review for the flake version:

My thoughts about this blend are similar to what I had to say about the flake version, with a couple of exceptions. While this is easier to pack because it's a ready rubbed tobacco, it seemed to me that the burley was slightly less stronger than it is in the flake version. It may be that the tobacco slightly changed because more of it is exposed to air in the processing of it. The difference is minor, but I did notice it.

Here's my original review of the flake version, which mostly mirrors my view of the ready rubbed:

This is my favorite MacBaren blend. For my tastes, it's a little closer to medium than strong in regard to strength and taste, but I think it depends on how used to strong tobaccos you are. Burleys and Virginias work in darn near perfect harmony, and you can taste both in every single puff. There's a natural sweetness that was enhanced by being steam pressed, slight nuttiness, tart and/or slightly sour and tangy at times, with a light earthiness and smokiness, and the complexity works to its advantage. I didn't really get the fruitiness some have noted, except for maybe a little date note. There may be some flakes that are more complex, but not by a whole lot, and this gives you plenty enough as it is. It always smokes smoothly, and fairly evenly, and is tinned at the perfect moisture level with a decent nic-hit that gets stronger as you smoke along.

There are stronger tobaccos, and I'm glad this is not one of them. I find these burleys work better with the Virginias than other kinds of dark-fired ones; not too strong to knock you off your feet, and certainly not weak. The flavor is dialed to the proper level. Though I like quite a number of other tobaccos, I find myself craving this one at times, and when that happens, not a whole lot else will do.

JimInks":09pn1rif said:
Since Father Tom mentioned my review, here's the one for the ready rubbed version, which includes my review for the flake version:

My thoughts about this blend are similar to what I had to say about the flake version, with a couple of exceptions. While this is easier to pack because it's a ready rubbed tobacco, it seemed to me that the burley was slightly less stronger than it is in the flake version. It may be that the tobacco slightly changed because more of it is exposed to air in the processing of it. The difference is minor, but I did notice it.

Here's my original review of the flake version, which mostly mirrors my view of the ready rubbed:

This is my favorite MacBaren blend. For my tastes, it's a little closer to medium than strong in regard to strength and taste, but I think it depends on how used to strong tobaccos you are. Burleys and Virginias work in darn near perfect harmony, and you can taste both in every single puff. There's a natural sweetness that was enhanced by being steam pressed, slight nuttiness, tart and/or slightly sour and tangy at times, with a light earthiness and smokiness, and the complexity works to its advantage. I didn't really get the fruitiness some have noted, except for maybe a little date note. There may be some flakes that are more complex, but not by a whole lot, and this gives you plenty enough as it is. It always smokes smoothly, and fairly evenly, and is tinned at the perfect moisture level with a decent nic-hit that gets stronger as you smoke along.

There are stronger tobaccos, and I'm glad this is not one of them. I find these burleys work better with the Virginias than other kinds of dark-fired ones; not too strong to knock you off your feet, and certainly not weak. The flavor is dialed to the proper level. Though I like quite a number of other tobaccos, I find myself craving this one at times, and when that happens, not a whole lot else will do.
I find your description to be spot on Jim. Well put.

Briar Spirit":09pn1rif said:
Blimey Buddy, you must have a heck of a cellar to have baccy you've not got around to trying yet.
Kirk, my cellar is not as deep as you may think. However I do occasionally get in something to try and then get lost in my regulars and forget about what I once wanted to check out.

Cheers,

RR

I just got my hands on some of the ready rubbed that an associate found "too strong and vile tasting". My impression was that it had a smokier pouch note than the tinned, and of course no dry time was required before lighting. Taste was verbatim, smell under fire ditto to the flake. I happily handed him some BLWB and some other aro I don't indulge in any more in trade. *sigh* Another TAD incoming...

Interesting. I fold-n-stuff ODF and never rub it out, so I found the ready rubbed to be a bit more assertive in flavor strength. Still very much highly recommended though.

The flavour is definitely more assertive than the flake. Also noticed that it was a pretty lazy rub out, (I.e. more of a McClelland broken flake than say a blend that had not been pressed at all). Still good though!

I've smoked both and can say I do enjoy the tin version when rubbed out and let rest in a tray for about an hour before packing. I prefer the Burley note in the tin over the RR. But don't get me wrong, the RR is a fine smoke and cheaper at that. I keep both on hand and have enough basically for the rest of my life.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!