MacBaren Dark Twist

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vercer

Reaction score
First of all let me say, I was a bit nervous about this one given my previous experience with MacB's Virginia #1. Still I figured Natch had to know what he was doing when he included a tin in the prize box so I cracked it first thing this morning and loaded up.

What a difference! Two Virginia's from the same blender and they couldn't be more different. The Dark Twist had next to no bite and was a very sweet smoke all the way down while the Va #1 was nothing but tongue bite the whole way through. The Dark Twist is, in my somewhat inexperienced opinion, an even better smoke than Escudo.

Anyone else find two "similar" blends from the same blender that are this different from each other?

MB's Va. #1 is napalm in a can! :affraid: I can't think of any tobacco of any style I've ever had that burned more. If aged and heavily stoved, and smoked really, really slow, it could have some charms. But a moments inattention and it can really hurt.

Several of their other blends are very nice, though. Dark Twist and Navy Flake being two of my favorites.

Natch

As a retired blender, it wouldn't make much sense to offer blends that are practically indentical to each other. My Quadruple Virginia and Virginia Squire, for example, both use four different Virginias, but not the same four. Squire also uses a touch of white burley to make it unique.

tiltjlp":kdvtqrv8 said:
As a retired blender, it wouldn't make much sense to offer blends that are practically indentical to each other. My Quadruple Virginia and Virginia Squire, for example, both use four different Virginias, but not the same four. Squire also uses a touch of white burley to make it unique.
Interesting, I guess I was just stunned by the difference it what I'd assumed would be pretty similar smokes.

tiltjlp":knp7py92 said:
As a retired blender...
Wait...what? Stormfront is still produced is it not? A buddy of mine introduced me to it a couple weeks ago and I was never much of a burly fan before that.

Storm_Crow":azlzip29 said:
tiltjlp":azlzip29 said:
As a retired blender...
Wait...what? Stormfront is still produced is it not? A buddy of mine introduced me to it a couple weeks ago and I was never much of a burly fan before that.
I think he means he's not creating any new blends--the Patton recipes are still being used to make the extant blends.

I have never been able to smoke anything McB because of the McB bite, which I have read comes from a honey or molasses casing on everything. If this one is truly different, I may try it.

Storm_Crow":r4cu87iy said:
tiltjlp":r4cu87iy said:
As a retired blender...
Yes, Storm Front is still available. Doc is correbt, my recipes are still being used, I'm just not creating any new blends. That said, A B&M is planning to eventually expand to the Internet as an e-tailer, and will offer a number of my blends that 4noggins no loner offers, including 6 blends that have never been offered for sale. I have no idea how soon this will happen, but I'm told that it will happen.

tiltjlp":ox0oybji said:
Storm_Crow":ox0oybji said:
tiltjlp":ox0oybji said:
As a retired blender...
Yes, Storm Front is still available. Doc is correbt, my recipes are still being used, I'm just not creating any new blends. That said, A B&M is planning to eventually expand to the Internet as an e-tailer, and will offer a number of my blends that 4noggins no loner offers, including 6 blends that have never been offered for sale. I have no idea how soon this will happen, but I'm told that it will happen.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: