Making my First Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UberHuberMan":a00d2n1k said:
Initially, I was trying to expand the hole by removing material with a gimlet, but the first stem I tried that on cracked. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong, but aside from slowing down I'm not sure what to change. Would a power tool cause the same issue?
Well, it could be that you just took away too much material. There's not enough material left in most stems at the button to be making the through-hole bigger.

tyler":9azfxk5h said:
UberHuberMan":9azfxk5h said:
Initially, I was trying to expand the hole by removing material with a gimlet, but the first stem I tried that on cracked. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong, but aside from slowing down I'm not sure what to change. Would a power tool cause the same issue?
Well, it could be that you just took away too much material. There's not enough material left in most stems at the button to be making the through-hole bigger.
light-10.jpg

tyler":hzt3tav2 said:
Glad to help. I was where you are about the years back (dang! Where'd to time go?). I know how overwhelming (but fun) it is to figure all of this out. I enjoy helping out where I can, and where I can in the pipe world is usually with pipe making. This is fun to me.

My fear is I'll become annoying. I usualy jump in if i think the easiest way to do something hasnt yet been offered. If the best advice i could offer is already posted, i dont see a need to say anything. So when i do jump in it is usually with a slightly different view than has been proposed. The result of this is that most of the comments i make then are in slight disagreement with earlier posts. I fear it makes me come across as antagonistic. I hope thats not true, but i sometimes fear it to be. I've done a little gentle disagreeing in this thread because I think it's easy to get too complicated with your pipe making. Like I said earlier though, easy to me might be hard to you and vice versa. It could be I'm crazy. :geek:
Not annoying at all! If anything you're being extremely helpful. :cheers:

One thing to keep in mind is that premold stems have all kinds of horribleness in the airways. There's molding flash, as well as a garbage slot. Add to that the propensity to crack when you're trying to redrill the airway....

Anyway, what I typically do is open up the airway with either a 9/64" or 5/32" drill bit chucked in my lathe (but drill press will do, or hand held drill even) depending on how much the stem can take (the first one is typically sacrificed determining this), then use a dremel with a 1mm drill bit chucked in it to clean up and widen the slot. It's basically the same cleanup operation that you have to do when hand cutting a stem from rod stock.

kurthuhn":x0o35rjy said:
One thing to keep in mind is that premold stems have all kinds of horribleness in the airways. There's molding flash, as well as a garbage slot. Add to that the propensity to crack when you're trying to redrill the airway....

Anyway, what I typically do is open up the airway with either a 9/64" or 5/32" drill bit chucked in my lathe (but drill press will do, or hand held drill even) depending on how much the stem can take (the first one is typically sacrificed determining this), then use a dremel with a 1mm drill bit chucked in it to clean up and widen the slot. It's basically the same cleanup operation that you have to do when hand cutting a stem from rod stock.
Open it all the way through to 5/32"? Not even a taper?

kurthuhn":kmjyx23r said:

Thanks for chiming in, Kurt! This is great info.

Sounds like I need to get a 1 mm bit to chuck into my dremel. I have a feeling that I'll be using my dremel a lot.

Questions:

tyler":kmjyx23r said:
2. What is molding flash and garbage slot? I assume garbage slot is simply a crappy slot, but hey, you never know.

UberHuberMan":kpfhrh49 said:
2. What is molding flash and garbage slot? I assume garbage slot is simply a crappy slot, but hey, you never know.
See how there is a rough ridge on the outside of the stem that is where the rubber oozed into the seam in the mold? Thats molding flash. (You'll want to sand that off eventually.) Kurt is saying you have to watch out for that on the inside of the stem too. You want as clean a flow-path as possible for the smoke, so filing that out would be preferable.

tyler":c9b6whnp said:
I call it the 12 gauge airway. :D

No, sorry. I use a tapered drill bit on those suckers. Otherwise there wouldn't be anything left of the button end of the stem. ;)

Opening up an airway, tools I've used successfully, both against foreign matter blockage, excessive buildup and that excess flash in crappy molded stems:

* Trusty micro/precision files.

* Wound bass guitar string(s). Flexible, just enough "roughness" to clean out most irritations. "A" and "G" being the easiest to use. A little back-and-forth flossing action sometimes is all you need. Works great on bent stems in a pinch.

8)

tyler":04vffox2 said:
UberHuberMan":04vffox2 said:
See how there is a rough ridge on the outside of the stem that is where the rubber oozed into the seam in the mold? Thats molding flash. (You'll want to sand that off eventually.) Kurt is saying you have to watch out for that on the inside of the stem too. You want as clean a flow-path as possible for the smoke, so filing that out would be preferable.
Roger all that.

Also, the slot tends to be a sudden change from the airway to a square or semi-circle slot shape (when viewed from the top). You need to smooth that transition with the 1mm drill bit, using it to sort of "smear" the sides of the slot. You could probably do this with micro files, but it take about 20 seconds with the dremel.

kurthuhn":cb729g84 said:
tyler":cb729g84 said:
UberHuberMan":cb729g84 said:
Roger all that.

Also, the slot tends to be a sudden change from the airway to a square or semi-circle slot shape (when viewed from the top). You need to smooth that transition with the 1mm drill bit, using it to sort of "smear" the sides of the slot. You could probably do this with micro files, but it take about 20 seconds with the dremel.
Lots of great advice coming my way. I'm thrilled!

Kurt, as far as "smearing" the sides of the slot goes, do you have photos or video anywhere of this quick process? I've been through your stem making photo essay but don't remember seeing this illustrated.

UberHuberMan":5ytsyt4e said:
Kurt, as far as "smearing" the sides of the slot goes, do you have photos or video anywhere of this quick process? I've been through your stem making photo essay but don't remember seeing this illustrated.
I don't have anything made up currently, but if you give me a couple days I can get something put together. This is best done with a video, because pictures can't really convey the process. It's simple to show, but complex to explain.

kurthuhn":56t60pg9 said:
UberHuberMan":56t60pg9 said:
I don't have anything made up currently, but if you give me a couple days I can get something put together. This is best done with a video, because pictures can't really convey the process. It's simple to show, but complex to explain.
Sounds great! Consider a couple of days given. ;)

It ended up being a few days due to workload, but here it finally is:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fe-siTJIVr4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll post this at PMF also, but in the stems section in a separate thread.

--Kurt

Wow. Great video, Kurt! I have a feeling I'll be watching this a few more times before I dive in. I may also pick up a flex shaft. :p

Thanks for taking the time to make this. It is greatly appreciated. :)

Great instructional Kurt it'll truly will help me when replacing and making my own stems.
I'm ready and waiting for another one from you.
And as said before, really appreciate you taking the time to show us.

A very educational thread guys, thanks for sharing your tips. :study:

Thanks for the compliments guys. I hope to have the time to make several more videos in the coming weeks.

kurthuhn":yrq5ql4g said:
Thanks for the compliments guys. I hope to have the time to make several more videos in the coming weeks.
I hope you do to!

Having just arrived home from a brief trip, I'll be trying to find some time to start working on my pipe again and will continue to post pics and maybe a video or two as things progress.