Manhood

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that bearded pipe smokers carry their traditional manhood well. It would be a cold day in hell before I'd consider parting with my manly beard or my pipe. I might add that the "burden" of manhood lightens with the onset of maturity. Men become comfortable and secure with themselves when they feel accomplished in their lives. Young men should set their goals high, aim for accomplishment, and then relax with a great pipe along the journey.

Comments from brothers would be of interest.

Counterpoint:

Marine Corps Order P1020.34F":mvn64ojq said:
The face will be clean shaven, except that a mustache may be worn. When worn, the mustache will be neatly trimmed and must be contained within imaginary vertical lines from the corners of the mouth and the margin area of the upper lip. The individual length of a mustache hair fully extended must not exceed 1/2 inch.
But really, it's all relative.

Point: We are talking civilian manhood. I was an auxiliary cop for 15 years/stache but no beard. Beards and uniforms are contraindicated. Civilian men have the freedom to write their own personal rules.

My job forced me to shave it. Now I push their boundaries with my moustache!:twisted:

I've had the good fortune of employers accepting the controlled appearance of a beard, as opposed to a rather scruffy homeless look at the end of twelve hours. Since I have been on a sabbatical, the need to project any image of professionalism fell to the wayside. After nearly nine months, it became necessary to be present among my peers for a couple of days. Prior to the event, those who had seen me did not fully recognize me and gave me a variety of names: The Amish guy, the Rabbi, the Mountain Man. My beard had reached down to my abdomen, and was quite thick and grey. I looked a good deal more my age than I do with it trimmed. As LIPIPE pointed out, the civilian sector has a choice, but I feel that he also endorses that at times we must conform due to our responsibilities to both our families and what I will call the reasonable execution of our professions. I found myself in an unusual situation. I was not drawing any pay, but I was representing the profession in a public setting. If it were Christmas or St. Patrick's Day, I would have gone as an elf or leprechaun and could have blended in. However, I realized that I am not yet fully retired so a trimming was in order--only a trimming. Professionalism will only take you so far in life, but sometimes to a degree you have to make compromises, some things in life are bigger than our own desires.

Manhood does not mean that it is acceptable to be unkempt or disheveled in appearance or manner. Whether pursuing a blue collar or a professional occupation, I believe that a man should maintain his beard and stache just as he maintains his health, his weight, and his pipe. My beard and mustache is trimmed every few days and always maintained clean and neat as my avatar shows. I believe that my bearded face is what people first recognize and it looks as great in a tux as it does in swim trunks. My pipe is always within arms reach.

I'm clean shaven (except for a moustache) by choice. I respect everyone's choice. Being a man means finding your own path.

Mostly 45 years bearded.

I saw this once: A well thatched face is a comely grace
and a shelter from the storm.

8)

Bottom line for Manhood.....Guys who have a beard and smoke a pipe would never part with either. If you do not have the pair, you are missing out on the complete pleasurable total experience.

I had a full beard for many years, but as my hairline kept receding, I finally gave up on hair and started shaving my head. I did away with the full beard at that time and have had a mustache and goatee now.

LOL -- mustashed since 1975, bearded on and off since (although bearded since 1997). My wife doesn't like me without the beard -- which can be taken many different ways. . . . :)

Some people just look "right" with facial hair, and some look absolutely stupid with it ( I'm one of them ) ;)

Anybody who calls you stupid looking should be eating a knuckle sandwich for lunch. They may just need time to adjust to your manly improvements. A beard is one of two things a man carries up front that a woman can't. The other thing is also up front, somewhat lower on the torso and very useful but not always visible. Manhood rocks!

LIPIPE":7erfkrm3 said:
It would be a cold day in hell before I'd consider parting with my manly beard or my pipe.
Me, too!

Manhood is problematic. It comes in all shapes and sizes. Those skinny clean shaven nineteen year olds I served with in Viet-Nam were men by any definition of the word. My twenty-nine year old company commander was too. Hell, when we were in the jungle and crossed a freshly flowing stream, we’d stop to rest, set up a perimeter, fill our canteens and if we had time, we’d have to shave. I suppose it was paratrooper standards, but we all pissed and moaned about having to do so. And this was in the field in combat. Those clean shaven youngsters serving now are men as well.

I’ve had a neatly trimmed beard since I got out of the Army at twenty. I still have it as an old fart. I’ll die with it, preferably with a pipe in my mouth!

I have always considred a beard a sign of maturity and gravitas!! I guess that is why I am bearded.

Nero and Airborne: Mature with gravitas we are. Good Morning to you both my brothers!