Marlin 1895 Guide Gun (45/70)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentona

Reaction score
Anyone else out there got one?
It's in cold storage at the moment so I don't have a picture of my PERSONAL rifle, but here is the model:
marlin1895gs.jpg

Stainless and walnut is such a classy look. This gun makes the brass on my shooting table jump from the force of that 45/70 leaving the barrel. It makes people jump at indoor ranges and always gets a look (either one of disapproval from the noise biotches or ones of envy 'cause of its power).

The only complaints I have are:
1.) the front site shade got knocked off due to recoil and was lost in tall grass
2.) Not the kick, it's like a 3.5" mag slug, but the muzzle jump.

Now both those problems are easily remedied:
-- magna porting to reduce barrel jump
-- and I'm going to get a scout mount and drop a Leupold FX-II on it

A nice feature with the sights : they fold down so you don't have to remove them entirely to mount a scope.
I prefer to fire Hornady LeveRevolutions (305gr) if not shooting handloads

That's a beaut!

Marlin is practically in my backyard... I drive by the factory whenever I have to go to, appropriately enough, Target.

Doc Manhattan":lvt1lmb9 said:
That's a beaut!

Marlin is practically in my backyard... I drive by the factory whenever I have to go to, appropriately enough, Target.
Hey Doc --

You don't happen to be familiar with Marlin's are you? I never quite understood the emblem they put on their rifles...
It's like an inverted Mauro Armellini Pipe logo. It is a white circle with a black inner dot. If you look closely at the pic above you can vaguely make out where it is located right in front of the rear sling mount. The people at Rick's Gun and Pawn (Connowingo, MD check em out!!) didn't know either.

-- Brent

According to this neat old book, it's the "Marlin bullseye logo"--a pretty stylized bullseye, but makes sense nonetheless.

Scroll back a page or so and you can see a cool old Marlin logo tiebar... that'd be a neat collector's item!

Very nice. That is a gun thats been on my list for quite awhile.

Doc Manhattan":bmeem18x said:
According to this neat old book, it's the "Marlin bullseye logo"--a pretty stylized bullseye, but makes sense nonetheless.

Scroll back a page or so and you can see a cool old Marlin logo tiebar... that'd be a neat collector's item!
Doc I knew we kept you around for a reason!
:cheers:

Red Kilt --

This gun is a real....wait for it....wait for ittt....

it's a real blast to own. But seriously, as long as you have the shoulder for it and the money for the ammo you're in good shape!

I owned one (and the 22" blued predecessor) for a couple of years, but eventually sold them both. Had plans to pack Alaska that didn't materialize and it's really not a very useful gun for the Mid-South. I did manage to take out a bit of the top railing on my porch the first day I brought it home, though. Fooling around with it, loading and unloading, a squirrel jumps up on the railing and without thinking I aimed (poorly) and fired. My wife still reminds me of that adventure and hassle of having to replace a foot of railing.

Great little gun, though.

Natch

I seriously laughed when I read that
It's good to see when we grow up we still get excited over things that go boom

I have the first edition of that rifle from 1977. (1895 replica, blue, longer barrel)

'Tis a mighty elk bagger in rough/close country, for sure.

Speer 400gr ogive flatpoints over 51 grains of 3031 is safe and gives 1750fps to flatten out the trajectory a bit.

BOOM indeed. :lol:

Very nice! If I were buying a rifle, that model in that caliber would be at the top of my short list.

Nice carbine. I have a bunch of 1894 Wins, mostly in 30-30, not a lot of bears around here so never got a hankering for a guide gun. Would like a lever gun in 45LC someday mostly for cowboy play, would probably get a Marlin, Win doesn't like those pistol calibers too much.

No and Marlin has SO many options in their Levers, there is bound to be a rifle for your personal tastes in 45LC.

Also Henry is another wonderful U.S. Lever maker. I'd love a Golden Boy in .22lr just for fun. But definitely going to get a Big Boy at some point.
There aren't too many bears here in Baltimore either (LOL) but I can't say no to brute force with sexy looks.

I'm gonna take this sucker boar hunting this summer hopefully so I will be sure to post about my ventures. When I drop my Leupold on 'er I'll post pictures of it so we don't have that boring internet image!

Ouch $830 plus import to your carrier say a base charge (generally) $50.
Grand total $900+ after tax

To me it would be cheaper to buy things separate and make it.
My 1895gs was $600, the big style loops you can get for about $65 online and the upper rail system with the ghost style sights can be purchased online for $175 I do believe, just my two cents that's all!

The stainless and laminate model is the same price as walnut and stainless. Shop around a little before hopping on that one mate!!

brentona":o1q82s9d said:
I'm gonna take this sucker boar hunting this summer hopefully so I will be sure to post about my ventures. When I drop my Leupold on 'er I'll post pictures of it so we don't have that boring internet image!
That could be an interesting hunt! Only limitation with lever guns is the poor choice of good bullets for them. I still remember shooting a small russian style boar with a 180gr nosler partition in my 300 RUM at about 80 yards, (which should drop a bull elk at about 400 yds). The rest of the herd made a bee-line back into the woods, the one I shot ran about 100 yds out into the pasture before turning back and running after the herd (so I was pretty sure he was hit). Three of us hunted for well over an hour going back in the woods as far as we could imagine he could have run. Never found him. That same hunt another of the guys put 4 rounds of 9mm into a charging sow and all she did was turn and run away. Boars are tough and take a lot of stopping power.

Hunter5117":6af5pnl0 said:
brentona":6af5pnl0 said:
That could be an interesting hunt! Only limitation with lever guns is the poor choice of good bullets for them. I still remember shooting a small russian style boar with a 180gr nosler partition in my 300 RUM at about 80 yards, (which should drop a bull elk at about 400 yds). The rest of the herd made a bee-line back into the woods, the one I shot ran about 100 yds out into the pasture before turning back and running after the herd (so I was pretty sure he was hit). Three of us hunted for well over an hour going back in the woods as far as we could imagine he could have run. Never found him. That same hunt another of the guys put 4 rounds of 9mm into a charging sow and all she did was turn and run away. Boars are tough and take a lot of stopping power.
If you miss the vital organs, it doesn't matter what you shoot 'em with. If you hit the vital organs, it doesn't matter, either. They'll go down.

The only reason for upping the power as animals get larger is to increase the probability that the bullet will reach where it needs to go. Meaning within the animal itself.

Hunter --

With boar hunting I could care less about any sort of mount or hide, all I am going after is meat.
If it has a head left after a solid shot to the shoulders and up (keeping tenderloins in tact) I'd be surprised. That would make dressing it a lot easier too haha! I like the idea of guide gun hunting because of the stalk. Boars have one hell of a sense of smell and that will be the biggest issue.

I really can't wait to take this baby out

I sure would not argue that shot placement is the number one factor in getting an effective kill. And I am not a proponent of high velocity rounds for no particular purpose. That is why most of my guns purchased in the past 20 years have never had a commercial round fired in them, all hand-loads that I have developed for accuracy and effectiveness. I was only commenting that bullet choice for a tube-magazine rifle is limited in choice for what I consider a hard-to-kill species, with a narrow body profile and a lot of bone and muscle mass in the front shoulder area. Hogs shot in the head still run off on you.

Of course, seeing that it is a 45-70, the impact alone should go a long ways toward dropping the animal right in its tracks.

brentona":k3nmhajk said:
Hunter --

With boar hunting I could care less about any sort of mount or hide, all I am going after is meat.
If it has a head left after a solid shot to the shoulders and up (keeping tenderloins in tact) I'd be surprised. That would make dressing it a lot easier too haha! I like the idea of guide gun hunting because of the stalk. Boars have one hell of a sense of smell and that will be the biggest issue.

I really can't wait to take this baby out
Yep, smell and hearing are their biggest defense. And although they can't see worth a darn, they can see motion a lot better than most people think. The incident with the 9mm was when we were trying to drive some through a river flat when they had not been moving on their own for a couple of days. I have never tried stalking them, always hunted from a stand. Should be a lot of fun.