Massive undertaking, would like input

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this should go under here, but I thought that it would get the most views here at least.  :) 

As a programmer and IT dude, I realized that there wasn't any apps that had a legitimate repository of information about pipes and such. So, I wanted to talk to all my brethren(and sisters) on here about coming together with a repository of pipe information, like shapes, sizes, brands, etc. and compile all of this along with links to all the major pipe websites and forums together in a nice, neat app.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Would any of you folks aside from me use it?

Also, if at all possible, I'd like the app to be free AND ad-free, and available to both Android and iOS devices.

i like this idea. personally i would like a tobacco database with reviews and an ability to easily log what you smoked, in what and what you thought.

I think we need more specifics. For example, you say shapes and brands, what would the layout be? Maybe click Peterson and then see a list of Pete shapes?

Most of this info is readily available on the web, but does take some searching.

Ocelot55":qwnp04dm said:
I think we need more specifics. For example, you say shapes and brands, what would the layout be? Maybe click Peterson and then see a list of Pete shapes?

Most of this info is readily available on the web, but does take some searching.
Yes, have say a tab with pipe brands under it, and there it's got the info for each brand. Something like this(don't make fun of my Paint doodle) -

And then upon selection of a brand it has their shapes on that specific page.

I don't own a cell nor do I want to but, that looks like a great idea.
Maybe it can be devised to work on ones PC also, I don't know.

Cartaphilus":qo5ils4s said:
I don't own a cell nor do I won't to but, that looks like a great idea.
Yes, when I make the app I can port it to a website also. I can get you all fixed up!

WarlockBob":30fto81g said:
Cartaphilus":30fto81g said:
I don't own a cell nor do I won't to but, that looks like a great idea.
Yes, when I make the app I can port it to a website also. I can get you all fixed up!
Even better yet! :cheers: 

Wouldn't have a clue how to build something like that but would dam sure use it if you want to go through all the hassell. Hats off to ya Brother.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased and used the "Pipe Tool" app? Pretty sure it's just for iOS

It's a great idea. Just remember to build in something that will at least cover your time and expenses. I live in the world of websites, apps and advertising, and trust me, the advertising isn't there just so the creator will get rich. It's gonna cost ya! If you build it well enough, and it provides a great value, most people will be willing to pay at least something for it, even if that's just sitting through a banner or two on the side.

As as practical note, I'd suggest starting off with one concept and growing it as you work out the bugs. Here's an example: Let's say you want to cover pipes, pipe reviews, tobacco, tobacco reviews and so on. There are a lot of sub categories that go with just those 4 groupings. You can quickly get overwhelmed trying to cover it all at once. Plus, let's say you do cover it all up front, so you go "wide and not deep" at first, well, if you find you need to make a change in format, you'll have to make it over a much wider space. But if you choose to go deep first and not wide, meaning a lot of information on a fewer number of things, you can work out the bugs there and then more or less carbon copy the idea to new categories.

That's my thought. I've been told recently by a strong business owner, that homerun ideas are hard to hit. Your idea is a homerun idea. But if you go for it a base at a time, you'll have a much better chance at success.

FWIW...

The only cigar Android app that found that works well and doesn't freeze up is Cigar DoJo. I believe that app is a full time job for at least one guy. I get updates almost daily. I don't see enough pipe guys let alone insiders participating.  :shock: 

daveinlax":an7nwtux said:
The only cigar Android app that found that works well and doesn't freeze up is Cigar DoJo. I believe that app is a full time job for at least one guy. I get updates almost daily. I don't see enough pipe guys let alone insiders participating.  :shock: 
Some good points given. Are you ready to do ALL the work required to keep it running and UPDATING it as MORE info is found? And Cart's point about it being PC available is VERY PERTINENT as I like him don't have a device that uses, nor do I use APPS. And the biggest question is : are you ready to bear ALL the costs for this? If your answer to the above is YES then let us know when we can expect to give it a try!! And remember info CHANGES from year to year ie Petersons current 2013 pipe shape chart DOES NOT have several shapes they made 10, 15 or more years ago. Are you going to make ALL their pipe shape charts available/ This alone could consume a whole site's worth of data as they go back to the 1890's I  believe.   :twisted: and THAT'S just one pipe maker and you haven't even gotten into all the iterations of tobacco's   :twisted: :twisted:

I believe that the answer is yes to all those; I think before I get too terribly ambitious we should start small and deal with just information, adding features such as reviews as we go. The app itself will just cost me time to build, but to host it in the Google Play store I'll have to buy the dev key, which luckily is only 25 bucks. iOS, on the other hand, runs 99 bucks a year, so that one wouldn't be as much fun. The most expensive part of this would be web space for the db and website, but if you know where to look those aren't even terribly bad.

Right now, I think starting small is the way to go, and we can build up from there. :)

Seems like a good idea, +1 for the web version, mobile devices are not something I use either. With the database size, you can save yourself a huge amount of space using Paint.net to resize the images, believe it or not saving a file as a JPG and using 80% as the setting for quality you can reduce a 300kb file to as little as 60kb with virtually no discernible pixel degradation. I look forward to watching your progress on this ambitious yet most worthy project, and yeah, do have at least a footer banner for advertising, it'll pay for the web-hosting if nothing else. ;)

Cartaphilus":128kycjn said:
I don't own a cell nor do I want to but, that looks like a great idea.
you probably said this about a computer at one time to ya old grump! :p 

Start with a web-app make it cross-platform agnostic. Ie- works on browsers, phones, etc.

pylorns, I'm able to build an app and mobile site at the same time, so that won't be a problem at all.

I already have a bit of a template for an app and website, and as long as I still with the KISS Method it shouldn't take me much to get everything all together.

Next step - like Growley said, let's go deep and narrow (that's what she said?). I want to start with not much, and as I build and add to it I want input along the way from you fine folks. I can't make it just for me, as it may not fulfill monbla's requirements.  :geek: 

I know Ocelot is most definitely on board and willing to lend a helping hand, anyone else I can count on for correspondence and feedback?

Build it in html5 - then make it mobile friendly (unlike this site!). ;)