MB Old Dark-Fired

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
The bounty of tobaccos cured and blended never ceases to amaze me especially when done with expertise.

For me MB Old Dark-Fired is an example. I'm on my sixth bowl and the smoke just gets better and better. The first two bowls I thought yes, very smokey, good dark flavor. But the more I smoke it the more the tobacco reveals itself, which is not a new experience. Dark smokiness is the calling card of this straight-forward tobacco, but its underside has a sweetness and vitality beyond its initial impression.

I read about its strength. This is a potent tobacco but not in the realm of say a MF cigar or Irish Flake.

For a tinned tobacco it is inexpensive. Go Mac Baren! Hopefully they will release it in bulk and bring down the price even more. I got two tins but I shall surely get more. Thanks to all of you who touted it. When I heard about it last summer I immediately thought I would like it.

I told them at Chicago where they released it, that they had a winner in this one for sure. They had a number of tins and a big jar for sampling.

I gotta say, I am really impressed with ODF as well. There's something about Solani ABF that I still prefer, but twice the baccy at same price is a slam dunk for such a high quality dark fired flake. 8)

I have been out of ABF for a while, but I have plenty of ODF to get me through the night. :D

OK, you've sold me, I've got to try it now. Anyone want to swap samples? Send me a bowl or three of MB ODF and I'll return some samples that might be new to you?

Natch

Natch":1syk99le said:
OK, you've sold me, I've got to try it now. Anyone want to swap samples? Send me a bowl or three of MB ODF and I'll return some samples that might be new to you?

Natch
I'll take you up on that, Natch. I was gonna pick some up this week. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it when I first tried it, but it's one I keep coming back to. Luckily, my local guy always has it in stock. PM me your address and I'll split a tin with you.
By the way, Natch, I just spent the last couple of weeks hunting on the edge of Hiawatha National Forest. Ever get over that way when you were a Yooper?

When I first tried this blend I was not that crazy about it, but after letting my sample sit for a few months and dry out, I love it. I think it represents one of the best values in a tinned blend on the market. I just ordered ten tins and will be adding more very soon.

Cool, nice one, GK. :D Natch, I think you'll like it. Kaplan can send a vial of rosewater mixed with sandalwood if you miss your Lakeland Ladies too much... just a spritz will do ya. Hehehehe.

8)

George, PM sent. And I've hiked/packed the Hiawatha, but most of my deer were taken in the Nicolet or Chequamegon National Forests in norther Wisconsin. Or, over in the Porcupine Mountains just to the west of my town.

Natch

Kyle Weiss":1e0rh282 said:
Cool, nice one, GK. :D Natch, I think you'll like it. Kaplan can send a vial of rosewater mixed with sandalwood if you miss your Lakeland Ladies too much... just a spritz will do ya. Hehehehe.

8)
I've got enough various Lakeland blends Jared up in my cellar to sink Great Britain if I sent them all back. But I'm keeping them. :lol:

Natch

Good, at least they're in safe hands before we throw them into the fires of Mount Doom. :lol:

8)

cigrmaster":5jv847io said:
When I first tried this blend I was not that crazy about it, but after letting my sample sit for a few months and dry out, I love it.
There might be something to that. I liked it a lot more after "re-discovering" my first tin in a desk drawer a month or so after opening it.

George, I am glad you are re discovering it. I recently opened a tin for the first time, my previous experience was a sample in a baggie and it was extremely wet. This tin was much drier and the tobacco only needs to sit out about half an hour after I cube cut it to be how I like it. If I had smoked it for the first time like this, I would have liked it from the get go I think. Drying it makes such a huge difference in my opinion. I am now up to 35 tins of it in the cellar, and will double that amount in the near future. This is a total keeper in my book.

this is one that i love. i think it's a great beginner tobacco, too. lots of flavors for an inexperienced palate, and lots for the seasoned puffer to discover. also not bite, enough nic to relax, but not enough to make you barf.

I have had a tin of this for some time. I really need to open it up and try it out.

The nicotine can get overboard real quick on ODF...a "beginner" tobacco, perhaps, for a seasoned cigar or cigarette smoker, or someone who prefers smaller pipes. :lol: Caveat Tabacum

8)

This stuff does have a good Nic kick. I really like it and it smokes fairly well after drying a bit. I also get some good cinnamon notes in the last 3rd of the bowl.

Kyle Weiss":pqlpzdqt said:
The nicotine can get overboard real quick on ODF...a "beginner" tobacco, perhaps, for a seasoned cigar or cigarette smoker, or someone who prefers smaller pipes. :lol: Caveat Tabacum

8)
Kyle
Is the nicotine anything as bad as Pete's Irish Flake?

cds43":744kd2s6 said:
Kyle
Is the nicotine anything as bad as Pete's Irish Flake?
Nah. If aros are a 1 - 2 on a ten scale, Irish Flake is about an 8.5, and ODF is probably a 6+. Worth respecting, but not fearing. :lol:

8)