McCleland 2015 - Intro to VaPers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greasemunki85

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering, smoking VaPers for the first time, and is that Ketchuppy smell (makes me kinda sick to my stomach actually), exlusive to McCleland blends or that just a Virginia/Perique type thing?
I know they had this , and something that called an "Oxford" flake at the local BM, and I picked the 2015, while it is a good smoke, the smell/pouch smell, gets to me, and makes me kinda sick at my stomach. Im not a fan of Ketchup, and while I can take all the Vanilla, Chocolate Quallity Aros' , and tons of Lat bombs, this one is just too much for me I think.
I was wondering, if anyone had any other Vaper's that were'nt. "ketchupy"
Maybe its a dumb question, I hope its not, and this is my first time getting into this style of baccy.
Thanks for your help.

I've been smoking VaPers for some time now and have not noticed any ketchup smell in them. but I haven't smoked 2015 either. However I do like ketchup! Might try another before you give it up.

Okay is just gave Solani 633 a good sniff. Ahhh! No Ketchup detected! :cheers:

You aren't crazy, that's the famous McClelland's smell. Ketchup or vinegar is how it's often described. It bothers me as well.

VaPer's from other companies don't have it. I would suggest Escudo, Long Golden Flake or some of the various blends from C&D or G.L. Pease.

jhuggett":yocvc459 said:
You aren't crazy, that's the famous McClelland's smell. Ketchup or vinegar is how it's often described. It bothers me as well.

VaPer's from other companies don't have it. I would suggest Escudo, Long Golden Flake or some of the various blends from C&D or G.L. Pease.
Jason!! I'm trying to keep Escudo on the low profile or it'll end up like Kingfisher..'out of stock'. :lol!: (good stuff Maynard!)

If you want to get it from somewhere local, I suggest you head over to the Tobacco Corner on mendenhall and get a blend called "Doctor Watsons". It is a VaPer that the owner makes. I s pretty good

jhuggett":1kzurdgp said:
I also find it off-putting, but it's not a deal breaker.
Still, McClellands aren't my favorite Virginias.
I'm lookin' forward to some CC '03 that
I plan to open around Thanksgiving.

The ketchup smell definitely does not translate into the smoke.
Just air it out a little before you pack it.

+1 on the Solani 633 & Escudo. Fine quality baccys indeed. Don't give up on McClelland's VaPers, if you do, you'll miss out on some of the best tobacco out there (Reasonable pricing to boot!)

greasemunki85":v94gbrsg said:
Im not a fan of Ketchup
what the hell do you put on your frenchfries?

have heard a bit about this long golden flake recently. sounds tasty.

2015 is as it's best well-dried & with a year or so of age on it (keep it in a sealed mason jar). The drying makes the ketchup smell pretty much disappear. It's actually a really good blend.

jhuggett":aypasf7y said:

Yes, the broken flakes they make are the worst for the ketchup/mustard smell- it is not a Perique thing at all.

Yum, 2015 was the first vaper I smoked and is one of my favs. Not very heavey in the perique department which is OK with me, I like just a taste of it. Got about 8 lbs sleeping quietly in the cellar. Definitely needs minimum of couple of years of aging, more is better. This is one flake that I still rub out pretty completely and let dry on a paper plate for at least an hour, more won't hurt it unless you leave it for days until it crumbles into powder. And yes, I love ketchup!

Cody V":xe3fu39v said:
If you want to get it from somewhere local, I suggest you head over to the Tobacco Corner on mendenhall and get a blend called "Doctor Watsons". It is a VaPer that the owner makes. I s pretty good
Hey Cody..
yeah I got this from Tobacco Corner.. The other old guy (not Elliot) sold it to me, and hes really big on the "oxford flake"they called it "QM" ..its a blend they "make"..but its McCleland 2015.. looks like it, smells like it.. compared it..and its 2015.
Distinctive Ketchup smell, that being said, everything smells a bit different in the store..then it does when you get it home sometime.
Ive also bought -669(great for a vanilla aro) , "Your Fathers blend" (..Im thinking this might be 1Q) .. Southern Comfort(okay vanilla blend- dark cavendish with vanilla, rum flavor), and This "QM".
Do you frequent tobacco Corner often?, as Im up there usually once every couple of weeks.(I live in Southaven) Maybe we should meet up, up there sometime, and have a bowl or two.

greasemunki85":0o4nymqk said:
Cody V":0o4nymqk said:
Hey Cody..
yeah I got this from Tobacco Corner.. The other old guy (not Elliot) sold it to me, and hes really big on the "oxford flake"they called it "QM" ..its a blend they "make"..but its McCleland 2015.. looks like it, smells like it.. compared it..and its 2015.
Distinctive Ketchup smell, that being said, everything smells a bit different in the store..then it does when you get it home sometime.
Ive also bought -669(great for a vanilla aro) , "Your Fathers blend" (..Im thinking this might be 1Q) .. Southern Comfort(okay vanilla blend- dark cavendish with vanilla, rum flavor), and This "QM".
Do you frequent tobacco Corner often?, as Im up there usually once every couple of weeks.(I live in Southaven) Maybe we should meet up, up there sometime, and have a bowl or two.
I haven't been up there in probably a little over a month, been getting all of my stuff online as of late. Vast majority of "TC" blends seem to be aromatics, and I'm not a big fan. A meet up sounds fun. I don't usually hang around in there much longer than to buy tobacco. It's usually crowded with the older set, and I feel a bit awkward.

pipetongue1":o6un11pl said:
Try Beacon :tongue: Ken
Ken,
I thought that was a given!!!
If you can find the old PCCA tins at a decent price, you'd have no need to wait to savor the baccy!!!! MMMMMMMMM Beacon!!! :D

I actually PM'd Falconer with the same question about a week ago. Since then, I have had my nose stuck in every jar of VaPer that I have. I'll agree with that the smell, whatever it is does not translate to the smoke. I have some McC St. James Woods that when aired and dried a bit is just a very nice smoke. (Escudo is better though, but I didn't say it out loud Valky) I have some VAPers that come from pipesandcigars.com that have the same smell, (La Red and VA Spice) but not as strong and they are still enjoyable smokes. Go figure.

:cheers:

New Smoker":tpwq6bzd said:
I actually PM'd Falconer with the same question about a week ago. Since then, I have had my nose stuck in every jar of VaPer that I have. I'll agree with that the smell, whatever it is does not translate to the smoke. I have some McC St. James Woods that when aired and dried a bit is just a very nice smoke. (Escudo is better though, but I didn't say it out loud Valky) I have some VAPers that come from pipesandcigars.com that have the same smell, (La Red and VA Spice) but not as strong and they are still enjoyable smokes. Go figure.

New Smoker my @$$! Jason, change his user name to Veteran Smoker or Nose VaPers or something! :p

Falconer":zfikcu7f said:
New Smoker":zfikcu7f said:

New Smoker my @$$! Jason, change his user name to Veteran Smoker or Nose VaPers or something! :p
One can learn quite a bit in a couple of years of dragging on a good piece of briar, plus I learned a lot of what I know from a veteran smoker, my dad smoked a pipe for nearly 50 years.

P.S. If I keep smoking as much PA per day as I do, Jason can change my name to Iron Tongue :p

Tell you what bro!!
2015 is my No.1 Vaper, I just love it!!! the best in my book.
Be sure to give it lots of air time tho'
I have never smoked it aged tho' my intro to it was from Dover Pipes. The more air it got the better it became, would love to smoke it with age and see, wow!!!!