McClelland 5100, RIP.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McCranies sell 5100 under there own name as FIRST LIGHT and they still have stock. This is the real McCoy, you can take my word for it.

Unfortunately I can't order from them because they accept money order or cheques only.

I do have about 500g in stock but would have liked to order more :fpalm:

Shame they want so much for it. It was one i always intended to check out but never did get around to.

Jim

Don't forget that McCranies Red Ribbon/Red Flake is in reality 5100 with specific crop years. Perhaps not as affordable as the bulk 5100. But iffen ya want it, there it is. And with some age on it as well.

(No I'm not a shill for McCranies).

Cheers,

RR

daveinlax":55nysste said:
monbla256":55nysste said:
Simple as that , the ingredients weren't right so it's not blended. Simple/dimple ! :twisted: :twisted:
From the several rumors (some new, some old) that have been going around about McClelland's future that I will not repeat it may not be that simple. :shock:  
I second this. It's not simple at all. Yes, the crop this year was subpar. No, that's not the only factor.

SpeedyPete":txstqvnx said:
McCranies sell 5100 under there own name as FIRST LIGHT and they still have stock.  This is the real McCoy, you can take my word for it.

Unfortunately I can't order from them because they accept money order or cheques only.

I do have about 500g in stock but would have liked to order more   :fpalm:
I'm gonna order 2 oz. to check it out!! If it don't have any ketchup in it, it aint the same stuff !! :twisted: :twisted:

I’ve been out of the loop... I can’t believe 5100 is gone. Man. It was a nice staple.

When I visited Boswell's last Saturday a man was in there lamenting about 5100 being gone. I haven't had the chance to try it out, but it sounds like it was well loved by many.

It is/was good. Never blew me away but it was never a bad pipe either. I was on smokingnpipes today and can’t believe the amount of McClelland Virginia based blendsbthat are out of stock. Something is def going on

I spent a good amount of time at Just For Him in Springfield MO. They have been told all the 2000 and 5000 series blends are no longer available. In fact, the majority of bulks are done. McClelland is also out of Cyprian Latakia.

This has had an impact on the Lord of The Rings blends. Done now. The components are no longer available, though they are shopping for alternatives.

The good news is, whole leaf suppliers are coming up with all kinds of new leaf. Red Virginias, even hand picked over-ripe tips! Also, many of the oriental leaf that was not available seems to be ready to purchase. Basma, Katarini, Samsun, Yenidji, you name it. Buy some for 20 or so bucks a pound, grab a 16 dollar a pound red Carolina Ginnies, and go to work people!

Ozark Wizard":4nckbwkv said:
I spent a good amount of time at Just For Him in Springfield MO. They have been told all the 2000 and 5000 series blends are no longer available. In fact, the majority of bulks are done. McClelland is also out of Cyprian Latakia.

This has had an impact on the Lord of The Rings blends. Done now. The components are no longer available, though they are shopping for alternatives.

The good news is, whole leaf suppliers are coming up with all kinds of new leaf. Red Virginias, even hand picked over-ripe tips! Also, many of the oriental leaf that was not available seems to be ready to purchase. Basma, Katarini, Samsun, Yenidji, you name it. Buy some for 20 or so bucks a pound, grab a 16 dollar a pound red Carolina Ginnies, and go to work people!
Quite the overload of intel Ozzie.

The demise of the 2000 and 5000 blends are sobering. As is the lack of Cyprian Latakia. Hard to believe it's not available to the folks at McC! What's up with that?

And yet the availability of those others leafs at least provides possible new horizons.

Cheers!

RR

You are not kidding......

Plenty of theories as to why, but they are only theories. But it is not restricted to just a lack of the 'right' red Ginnies to make 5100.

Old Nate":0v9oo59k said:
It is/was good. Never blew me away but it was never  a bad pipe either. I was on smokingnpipes today and can’t believe the amount of McClelland Virginia based blendsbthat are out of stock. Something is def going on
Go check 4noggins......lots of space on their shelves as well :lol:

Same with McRaines. Lets all say some prayers that the next crop of Red Ginny weed is up to par !! :twisted:

If any shop or online retailers use 5100 as a component, they can't use any other tobacco in its place. that would constitute a new blend, and no new blends can be made and sold after 8/8/2016. I suspect that the impact is going to be much wider than 5100 itself and the McClelland blends that contain it. I'm going to have to discontinue a few blends because of this.

Russ

Brewdude":bwzcw93n said:
monbla256":bwzcw93n said:
Same with McRaines. Lets all say some prayers that the next crop of Red Ginny weed is up to par !! :twisted:
They still show the Red Flake in stock. For now anyways!

:|

Cheers,

RR

But with a ten tin per customer limit!!! Never seen that at McCrainie's before now! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":v5czpobv said:
Brewdude":v5czpobv said:
monbla256":v5czpobv said:
They still show the Red Flake in stock. For now anyways!

:|

Cheers,

RR

But with a ten tin per customer limit!!! Never seen that at McCrainie's before now!
:cheers: FTRPLT
They must have a limited supply and are attempting to spread the love around. Good on them, because WIGIG!

Cheers,

RR