McClelland Anniversary

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just posted the following review on TR. Reproduced here for your edification

McClelland Anniversary

A mix of short dark brown, mottled, and black broken ribbons, the tin nose is rounded and sweet with a slight dark smokiness. Given the relatively short cut, it packs and burns with relative ease and is not a particularly finicky preparation.

Comprised of a mélange of matured Virginias lightly seasoned with Cyprian Latakia, in the bowl Anniversary offers a pleasant combination of ‘sweet-and-smoke’. Possessing a subdued tanginess, it offers rounded notes of black cherry, wood, light brown sugar, and just a bit of pine smoke. The mouthfeel is soft and the finish dark and sweet with just enough of the classic McClelland matured Virginia tang to remind one of its provenance. Medium bodied, it has a pronounced smoothness. Not an overall complex affair, it is nonetheless a nicely balanced mixture which is as charming in its simplicity as it is impeccable in its presentation.

Harkening back to an earlier form of McClelland packaging, the original release of Anniversary was wrapped in heavy ecru paper with maroon printing and finished with a red wax seal. A limited run of some 3000 100g. tins, it was released in 2002 in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the founding of the company. Although in company promotional literature of the time this special issue was called “25th Anniversary Blend”, both the outer paper wrapper and the tin label simply noted the blend as “Anniversary” and the series mark being “Special Occasion”. Like the original Christmas Cheer which was released in 1992 in celebration of the company’s 15th year in business, Anniversary was intended to be a one-time, limited edition release. The popularity of the blend, however, led to it being rereleased, in 2005, in the exact same 100g. tin packaging but this time the paper wrapper bore the date span 1977-2005 and featured a green wax seal. The 2005 issue, still readily available as of late 2009, is comprised of a holdover from the 2002 batch held for further aging before it was tinned and shipped in 2005. Once this current batch is depleted there are plans to release the mixture again with a different color wax seal. This review is based upon a tin of the 2005 tinning bearing the factory date stamp of 092005. Well worth cellaring for both its investment value and, perhaps more importantly, its liability to retain itself in good form for an extended period of time.

Great review, thanks for posting, Kap! I have been wondering about this blend, and your review makes me think I should pick up a tin...

Very eloquent review - thanks. I have a ton of the 1977-2005 in the cupboard with an intention to leave it just there for a few more years.

I recently cracked a tin marked 2002. I have to say I thought it was really good. I'm not sure if it would even need a couple of more years aging. It's that good now.
I still have about 15 tins left though..........

PS: I tasted more of a raisin like flavor with a little cherry in the background.

To the above -

Yes, a good one for cellaring to be sure. Although certainly ready to go now, I have little doubt that it will not continue to offer a very nice smoke years down the road. Since I finished the tin upon which I based the review above, I have since opened a tin of C&D's Yale Mixture as my 'in rotation' VA-Lat. - although it is doing great in the pipe I dedicated for the tin of Anniversary, I am kind of wishing that I would have just gone ahead and opened up another tin of the latter in place of the former. However, of the few bowls I have smoked of the Yale Mixture (the first time I have tried it) I am not really all that disappointed. It appears to have its charms. Review forthcoming in due course, perhaps by mid-December or after the holidays when I finally finish the tin.

Yes, Yale Mixture is pretty good. I think it's chief characteristic is its lack of sweetness, which I really enjoyed. Having said that, I have yet to buy another tin.

So I decided to crack a tin of this open today. Looking at the bottom it was tinned in 2011 and it has the brown wax seal. Initial smell is something akin to FMOTT with the Heinz 51 scent but not as strong as the smell of FM. The day is nice and breezy with temps in the low to mid 70's. I am smoking it in my Peterson Irish Made Army shape 69, which has been producing some of the best smokes for me lately. I cracked it this morning at about 6am and it is now almost 2pm so it should be about ready to go.

Writing as I smoke it:
The charring light is smooth and the Virginias peek through nearly immediately for me. The real light brings out the virginias quite a bit more with just a hint of the latakia. I had hoped for a more pronounced latakia flavor but this one is extremely mellow, which makes sense considering the description says it supposed to be. I tilted the fishtail down to direct the smoke directly onto my tongue and I got a bit of a nutty hint, it'd be interesting to try this one with a P-lip. Due to the breeze it is smoking a little hotter than I had hoped for so I am trying like crazy to sip it only I am about 1/3 of the way through and I let the tampers weight be just enough to push down the top of the tobacco. When directing the smoke onto the tip of my tongue I can definitely taste the Virginias an a bit of what seems like honey. The middle of the tongue is all Virginia. The rear of the tongue I get more of that nutty flavor. Basically I put the button of the stem into my mouth a little farther each time and wait like ten seconds after a couple puff on each area to see what flavor shines through, then move to the next area of my tongue. Definitely a blend to pull staright to the tip of your tongue as that is where the most flavor shines through.
It is my understanding that there are 3 releases of this blend and each has a corresponding wax color. Red was the 2002, green was 2005 and brown is 2010. Although mine is brown it was tinned in 2011. It's be interesting to see how this one differs from the other two releases.
I have started to tamp with my finger instead of the actual tamper lately which actually works out very well because it makes me be more careful not to push down on the tobacco too hard (that would hurt/burn) and has been giving me a lot better smokes. Okay so I am now 3/4 of the way through the bowl and the nutty flavor is gone, as is the lat flavor and all I can really taste any longer is the VA. I was originally worried that this would be just another quirky blend that had no long term stable in my cellar, but I can say that I will probably pick up a couple more tins to let get a few years to them and smoke again. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable smoke. I have a couple tins of it already in the cellar, but a couple more won't hurt anything :twisted: All done now, down to a nice white ash mostly with just a couple little crumbles in there that just dumped right out without any effort. My Pete performed as usual and this blend performed well in it. If you like VA's and just a tad of lat give it a try. YMMV of course.

I've tried all three productions, the original offering in 2002 (red wax), the second offering in 2005 (green wax) and the most recent brown wax version. They seem to have distinctly different taste, at least to me, but I'm guessing it's from the difference in the aged Virginia? I rather enjoy this blend, but then I love McClelland's Arcadia as well.

Natch

Next to Christmas Cheer, Anniversary is my second favorite McClelland blend. Really enjoy the balance of the VA in the front and the judicious use of Latakia.

Damn, Natch - now you have me jonesin' for one of your sale items!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

I have a tin of the red and two of the green. They should be nicely aged. I received them from an older pipe smoker who needed to quit and was liquidating his cellar. It will be some time before I can smoke them. :(

This is a blend I've yet to run across, but from the reviews/descriptions, it sounds like a winner. I'm going to hunt up a tin or two!