McClelland Christmas Cheer 2008 & 2009

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Gents....

Just got my hands on some 2008 and 2009 Christmas Cheer!(Sealed)
From what I have gartered, this stuff needs plenty of age. Is it really vinegar and catsup?
....and finally, the big question...... is it a keeper for my cellar bearing in mind that I enjoy FVF, and OGS.
Have noticed that FVF with some 3yr+ age becomes fantastic, I guess the same would apply here?

Any comments Brothers?

:scratch:

Howdy.

They are good now but only improve with age like most VA's. I don't mind the vinegary smell of a fresh tin as it doesn't come through in the smoke but if it bothers you just let the tin breathe with the top off for a day or two. That will remove most /all traces of the loved/hated McClelland VA scent from my experience. Me, I like it so much I find myself nawing on the flakes from time to time.....j/k :D

Also, I (and this is just "I" speaking, as McClelland's seem to be love or hate among many puffers, and the supposed vinegar, catchup, whatever tin smell is often a point of contention), am not bothered by the tin smell, I find it a rather interesting sharp citrus smell. But that smell doesn't show in the pipe while smoking, as at least as I've found.

Although I probably open only one or two X-Mass Cheer tins a year, I have about 50 or 60 packed away, so I must like it?

Natch

Hey Brother,

I have found that all the Christmas Cheers, by the various years, are pretty good from the get-go, However, a few added years of aging will make a big difference. If you ask different people and/or you look at the reviews at TR, it seems that some years are favored more than others, but for me, they are all great in their own way.

One of the replies above suggests that when you first open a tin, you should let it set (open) for a day or so, I agree completely. I let them set (open) for two full days before I dive in. I highly recommend doing that!

THANKS JF!

what you are saying then is that when I am ready to smoke it, I should crack the seal and let it stand "lidless" for a day or two?

Piet Binsbergen":zv9c9m9p said:
THANKS JF!

what you are saying then is that when I am ready to smoke it, I should crack the seal and let it stand "lidless" for a day or two?

That's correct my friend!

Thanks again for your advice Johnny Flake! will do so in about 3 to 5 yrs!! :bounce:

I've never understood the objections of many that the vinegar smell ruins MC tobacco. I've smoked maybe a dozen 100 g tins and that smell has never been part of the smoke.

CC is superb fresh; don't know yet about aged. I gather it's fantastic.