McClelland Dark Star

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just posted the following review on TR; reproduced here for your edification:

McClelland Dark Star

Moist, partially broken flakes which are black to very dark brown in color with occasional chocolate-hued veining. The tin nose is sharp yet deep, with a marked acetic acid note covering a pungent, woody sweetness and the aroma of fresh, wet clay. Measuring approximately 1” x 2” and 1/16th” in thickness when whole, the dark rubbery flakes are not particularly amenable to easy preparation and can be, to put it mildly, something of a pain to pack and keep lit. Experimentation with a variety of preparation techniques were necessary to find what works. For this reviewer, the flakes seemed to do best when allowed to reach a substantial level of dryness and then placed in smaller pipes with narrow gauge chambers, partially ‘rubbed’ (meaning, in this case, broken into chunks by hand or cubed with scissors).

In the bowl, Dark Star offers a pleasant combination of rich, syrupy spice and semi-sweet chocolate with notes reminding of wood smoke, old cinnamon sticks, molasses, and the caramelized sugar crust of crème brûlée fresh from under the broiler. For this reviewer, allowing the flakes to smolder (accompanied by measured sipping) produced the best results. DGT is delightful as is the second half of a fresh bowl, where the flavor nuances begin to emerge. Dark Star goes particularly well with a cup or two of freshly ground, dark roast coffee, preferably after dinner. On the full side of medium bodied, the finish is long with a savory, woody tang.

Not for the impatient, Dark Star is much quicker to punish inattention than it is to reward persistence. At the same time, however, this reviewer is left with a sneaking suspicion that there is more going on in these odd black flakes than just one tin can reveal. Based on a tin dating to 2004, it is highly unlikely that Dark Star could ever become an ‘everyday Virginia’ around these parts, but it does beckon for more attention and further consideration down the road. Given the constituent tobaccos of the blend, its suitability for cellaring and long-term aging seems obvious.

Likely the first flake I ever tried. Let it dry and break off or cut... you are so correct
icon_biggrin.png

I love Dark Star.

Now the question that many Dark Star smokers ask... how does it compare to 2035 ? Kapnist, I for one would like you to do a review of 2035 and as a part of the review, do a comparison of 2035. My taste buds are not sensitive enough so I just think of 2035 as a "poor man's" DS.

Slow Puffs":cb2hgckt said:
Likely the first flake I ever tried. Let it dry and break off or cut... you are so correct
icon_biggrin.png

I love Dark Star.

Now the question that many Dark Star smokers ask... how does it compare to 2035 ? Kapnist, I for one would like you to do a review of 2035 and as a part of the review, do a comparison of 2035. My taste buds are not sensitive enough so I just think of 2035 as a "poor man's" DS.
Just so happens, I have a small mason jar of 2035 open at the moment and have been smoking it out of the same pipe which I ran the tin of Dark Star through. I think a comparison is a good idea, and is forthcoming in due time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kap,

As per your usual, another fine review! Timely too, as it were, as I just got a tin of Dark Star, though I've yet to pop it. I have been wanting to try this blend for some time now, so your review just hit the sweet spot, so to speak. Thanks for posting another lucid and insightful review, brimming with cogent detail and thoughtful observations -- Bravo!

Trout Bum":xhc3r529 said:
Kap,

As per your usual, another fine review! Timely too, as it were, as I just got a tin of Dark Star, though I've yet to pop it. I have been wanting to try this blend for some time now, so your review just hit the sweet spot, so to speak. Thanks for posting another lucid and insightful review, brimming with cogent detail and thoughtful observations -- Bravo!
Thanks. All I can say is enjoy. As keenly suggested by Slow Puffs, I plan to follow this up with a measured consideration of the jar of 2035 I have open at the moment. All I can say now is that it does not seem to be as finicky as DS - the flakes seem thinner and much more pliable, less rubbery and thick. I'll have a much better sense of it all once I have had a good amount of 'gettin' to know ya' time with the 2035, however.

In the meanwhile ... enjoy that tin of Dark Star you are about to get to (and let me know if you find scissors a good tool to use the prepare those black nuggets!).

Cheers.

I am a fan of Dark Star, and my preferred method of prep being a very small cube cut with scissors. This is the method I use for all stubborn flakes (and many normal flakes) and it seems to work quite well. I had little problem keeping it lit and the flavor was quite good. I too look forward to a comparison with 2035. Thanks for the excellent review!

"In the meanwhile ... enjoy that tin of Dark Star you are about to get to (and let me know if you find scissors a good tool to use the prepare those black nuggets!)."

I've never met a flake or broken flake that didn't respond well to a sharp scissors. Cutting them into little cubes is the best way to prepare Dark Star, in my experience.

Natch

Natch":xhkrkwt3 said:
I've never met a flake or broken flake that didn't respond well to a sharp scissors. Cutting them into little cubes is the best way to prepare Dark Star, in my experience.

Natch
No doubt. I have been smoking from the aforementioned jar of 2035 for a while now, and have found that the scissors work just great. I cube it when it is damp and pliable and then let it dry on the tray for a good long while. Drizzle into the bowl and a slight tamp and voila!

Slow Puffs":dbvs1q40 said:
Any final thoughts in comparing Dark Star to 2035?
Good question! Actually, never got around to it due to lack of time (mea culpa!), and now do not have a tin and jar of either open and probably won't get back to either for some time (already have a tin of Butera Royal Vintage Matured Ribbon open as my 'stoved' Virginia selection right now and then next in line is Butera Dark Stoved, and after that McClelland Blackwoods Flake). Perhaps others will want to weigh in on the question?

Well, heck, I just jarred up a pound of 2035 and with the couple of tins of Dark Star on my shelf, I'll think about it in the next life :lol:

Just bought a tin and had a smoke. I didn't know it was going to be flake and as I have never smoked flake I had to wing it. I broke it up into smaller chunks but did not use scissors. I couldn't get it packed the way I like and now I know why. At first it didn't taste like much but the aroma (what I could smell of it) was nice. I was outside so no room note just mustache note. I got the spiciness and I really enjoyed it. I will smoke more and see. It did make me miss the Frog Morton though.

Glad to hear that I am not the only man who appreciates his mustache note. One of the celebrations of manhood and the extended enjoyment of a great smoke. Any pipe smoker that does not have one is really missing out don't you agree?

You bet. The smell of tobacco in my stashe is what keeps me happy at work until I can have a bowl.

The three of us are a hoot together. Pipes, beards, and staches. We are trademark Brothers of Briar!

Hey, nothing wrong with that.

I only smoked the Dark Star for about 20 min. but I enjoyed the stache note for several hours after that. We are, indeed, lucky to be men.

pipedirector":zipx42gv said:
This thread has convinced me to add Dark Star to my next TAD order. :)
It's conviced me to grow back my 'tache...

...after the Winter cold season has passed. Nothing worse than dealing with a head cold with a moustache.