McClellands 2010 bulk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on bulk McClellands 2010.

I've experience with McClelland matured Virginia tinned 22 and 24, and enjoy them both. Never had 25 or 27. And the description of the 2010 seems quite different from any of those-

This is made with Eastern and Middle Belt lemon, orange and orange-red Virginias. A sweet, smooth zesty smoke, it is suggested to anyone looking for a light-bodied, naturally sweet satisfying Virginia.

So what can any of you "Ketchup" folks tell me about bulk 2010? Worth it?

TIA

Cheers,

RR

Someone around here got an aged tin 8oz from me in a Secret Santa, I think. Maybe we can get some observations on that. Age works magic on MC Virginia's.

Carlos":j8gam9n2 said:
Someone around here got an aged tin 8oz from me in a Secret Santa, I think. Maybe we can get some observations on that. Age works magic on MC Virginia's.
Carlos

Has 2010 been tinned in the past? To me it looks like it's just bulk.

At least from what I can see right now.

And yes, I totally agree on the ageing issue.

Cheers,

RR

I've never seen it sold in tins, just bulk. The Matured Va #27 is similar to the 2010 bulk though I like the 2010 better. It's a nice smooth somewaht sweet Va in a broken flake as is typical for all of McC's "flake" Vas. I jar mine up in a bail-top French preserve jar to work out of and take a bowl's amount, rub it out thouroghly, let it dry out a bitin my "flake saucer" under my desk light, load it up and light 'er up! It's another straight Va as made by those ketchup folks in KC and I just bought my first # of it to cellar BTW :p Get some, it's good fresh or aged :twisted:

Carlos":sjjscklj said:
I have tins of 2010, 2015, and 5100. Green bean tins by The Bufflehead Shop. 8oz tins. :sunny:
That's neat. Is it packed by McC with their labels on the tins as 8oz. is almost 4 times more than what the sell their tinned 'bacs thru other retailers. And who are these Bufflehead folks, as we don't have any B&Ms with that name down here. Are they local to you?

Carlos":w3c8z21c said:
I have tins of 2010, 2015, and 5100. Green bean tins by The Bufflehead Shop. 8oz tins. :sunny:
Well slap me arse and call me Sally, those are all bulk blends at the present. So did The Bufflehead Shop have them tinned? Or did the folks at McClelland do a special tinned run of them?

Cheers,

RR

The Bufflehead Shop was run by David Windsor. Really nice gent that was in his 70's back in 2004/2005 when I met him at Chicago. He's from the Kansas City area. Shawnee Mission I think. The shop is closed now. David blended and had blends and flakes made for him. He hand tinned in 2oz and 8oz tins all sorts of stuff. His blends, bulks from MC, and the houses of Gawith. From time to time you see these pop up. Really great personal service by an old school tobacconist. He also made really nice quality pipe cabinets. Ultimately, taxing and licensing issues made it impossible to continue. If you read reviews you will see from time to time someone say that all his blends were made by MC. But that clearly wasn't true.

Carlos":kplkk409 said:
The Bufflehead Shop was run by David Windsor. Really nice gent that was in his 70's back in 2004/2005 when I met him at Chicago. He's from the Kansas City area. Shawnee Mission I think. The shop is closed now. David blended and had blends and flakes made for him. He hand tinned in 2oz and 8oz tins all sorts of stuff. His blends, bulks from MC, and the houses of Gawith. From time to time you see these pop up. Really great personal service by an old school tobacconist. He also made really nice quality pipe cabinets. Ultimately, taxing and licensing issues made it impossible to continue. If you read reviews you will see from time to time someone say that all his blends were made by MC. But that clearly wasn't true.
Ah so....

japanese.gif

Cheers,

RR

While not as complex as say Christmas Cheer, 2010 will scratch my itch when I want a good VA puff. I have a few jars set back. A sweet smoke with enough sour fermentation in it to keep my mouth watering. It also mixes real well with 2015 if you want to add a little spice. The 2015 by its self is a little to hot for me, but on a 2 to 1 ratio 2010 to 2015 is the ticket. Good times.

Andy

Anyone read the McClelland "interview" in the Pipes and Cigars catalog? Mike McNeil answers the first question, and then he may as well have answered every other question with "maybe" and a snicker. Is McNeil a politician? Evasive to say the least. If I didn't find it somewhat funny, I'd declare that a waste of paper. No real reason to print it.

Zeno Marx":7jo3hta1 said:
Anyone read the McClelland "interview" in the Pipes and Cigars catalog? Mike McNeil answers the first question, and then he may as well have answered every other question with "maybe" and a snicker. Is McNeil a politician? Evasive to say the least. If I didn't find it somewhat funny, I'd declare that a waste of paper. No real reason to print it.
Was the usual "filler" you expect to find in a catalog as far as I can tell. When I saw it I did not expect any more. Big deal :twisted:

If you don't mind a little latakia and orientals, try 2020. The lat and orientals are way in the background but add that little something extra for complexity.

Amongst the tinned VA offerings I have found that the bulk 2010 is most similar to no. 22. Have a goodly amount cellared of both.

As to the (in)famous McClelland VA profile, let us just say that like the 22, the bulk 2010 would not be a very good candidate for a "who is the blender?" blind taste test. They are quintessential McClelland aged VAs. Yum.

Kapnismologist":310kud2w said:
Amongst the tinned VA offerings I have found that the bulk 2010 is most similar to no. 22. Have a goodly amount cellared of both.

As to the (in)famous McClelland VA profile, let us just say that like the 22, the bulk 2010 would not be a very good candidate for a "who is the blender?" blind taste test. They are quintessential McClelland aged VAs. Yum.
Thanks for the intel Kap!

:D

Cheers,

RR

supdog":8wjim8zr said:
If you don't mind a little latakia and orientals, try 2020. The lat and orientals are way in the background but add that little something extra for complexity.
I don't believe #2020 has any latakia (which, for me, is its undoing).

Zeno Marx":2c6w2yfm said:
supdog":2c6w2yfm said:
I don't believe #2020 has any latakia (which, for me, is its undoing).
Nope it doesn't but it does have some nice Orientals ( Basma etc.) added. I've enjoyed it for a "Balkan" sort of change of pace Va wise periodically. Latakia has been classified as an "Oriental" by blenders in the past, but just because a blend has "Orientals" in does not mean it has Latakia :twisted:

Zeno, it has a little. Here's the description as per P&C: "McClelland’s #2020 Matured Cake is a unique experience. Aging of this blend of Lemon and Orange Virginias, Xanthi and Latakia in cakes develops an extra margin of smoothness and an uncommonly rich flavor that is refined, not heavy."
The 2025 is just va/or: "A pleasant, rather light, broken, small-flake tobacco composed of lemon Brazilian and orange Middle Belt leaf seasoned with enough Xanthi to be satisfying throughout the day without becoming tiresome. Rounder than a straight Virginia." Like I said the lat is way in the background.

That's the first I've heard of it. I did some research maybe 18 months ago(?) about caked Englishes, and of several online sources and regular smokers of 2020, none of them indicated latakia in the blend. It's actually one reason I tried it. I thought I might be able to get away with it indoors. I know I don't taste any latakia there. Not even a hint of a hint. Maybe I got a mislabeled bag? It wouldn't be the first time.