meer globe pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you ever seen a meerschaum pipe that is basically a globe of the Earth? I know there are burl versions, but they're pretty expensive. I should think a simple round 1/4 bent with the shank coming out the middle of the Pacific wouldn't be too hard to carve in meerschaum.

I know I could custom order one, but I'm a bit leery as to how it might turn out. I saw a wooden version that had the equator running right through Northern Mexico and the shapes of the continents were really poor.

Anyway, if any of you have ever seen one, please let me know.

Natch

Hermit,

I should have mentioned in my post that that's another one that I was referring to as being quite inaccurate. The Americas are about 30 degrees off, Chesapeake Bay (which at that scale wouldn't even be visible) is huge, and for almost $200, there is almost no relief. If they can carve some very fancy flowers and eagles and scrolls and such for that amount, I expect (and perhaps foolishly?) more than a simple outline of poorly drawn continents.

When I lived in Pangnertong (Baffin Island) they would give the kids old ball-point pens that ran out of ink and they would practice outlining shapes by scratching patterns on soapstone, (selling Inuit soapstone carvings was a major income source at that time). They looked to be of the same quality as this pipe.

Natch

Natch":g8nihusz said:
Hermit,

I should have mentioned in my post that that's the one I was referring to. The Americas are about 30 degrees off and for almost $200, there is almost no relief. If they can carve some very fancy flowers and eagles and scrolls and such for that amount, I expect (and perhaps foolishly?) more than a simple outline of poorly drawn continents.

When I lived in Pangnertong (Baffin Island) they would give the kids old ball-point pens that ran out of ink and they would practice outlining shapes by scratching patterns on soapstone, (selling Inuit soapstone carvings was a major income source at that time). They looked to be of the same quality as this pipe.

Natch
i thought the same thing, looking at that. compared with all the amazing meer carving i've seen for under $100, that seems a poor deal.

Natch":ev6cv6ws said:
Hermit,

I should have mentioned in my post that that's another one that I was referring to as being quite inaccurate.
Natch
Picky, picky picky. :lol:

Just kidding; that's why I didn't get one.
It's just too wrong.
Although, these days they can get away with it.
You have kids in college who can't find Florida on a map. :cry:

(Speaking of Florida; look at Florida on that Meer -
looks like Louisiana is sticking out of South Texas - pitiful!)

I do agree that some places have been incorrectly carved on the globe. I will talk to my carver to make a better world for us. Making it with more depth relief wouldn't be an issue though.

Thank you!

Sinan
--
http://altinokpipe.com

Sinan Altinok":120clo5w said:
I do agree that some places have been incorrectly carved on the globe. I will talk to my carver to make a better world for us. Making it with more depth relief wouldn't be an issue though.

Thank you!

Sinan
--
http://altinokpipe.com

Wow, talk about bad timing.
Here we are slamming a pipe on your site
the same day we welcome you to BoB. :pale:
Lemme just say I love the other pipes
you feature and I have bought a few.
:cheers:

Hi Hermit,

Nice to know what you guys are really thinking about my pipes. Those would feed us a lot. Keep shooting!

Best,
Sinan

I'd talk to Ken (Pipetongue) He has a 'world' of tobacco too. :D sorry :roll:

PD,

I've looked at the DB pipes for a couple of years now, but as I recall aren't they something like $500 or more? That's way out of my price range. Perhaps because it's my area of "expertise" (for what little expertise I have) but when I see a map or globe that is poorly drawn or inaccurate, it annoys me. I guess because basic cartography isn't that difficult and to project accurate shapes and locations of landmasses as templets would be quite simple on a blank piece of wood or meerschaum, I'm miffed as to why they all seem to be drawn from memory of some "geography" class the carvers took in their childhood.

Sorry to belabor the point, I'm guessing I might have to live with what exists on the market today.

Natch